EXCEL: Exploratory Majors
The EXCEL Living-Learning community is open to first-year and transfer Exploratory majors with less than 25 credit hours. Through EXCEL, students receive tailored assistance with the important decision of selecting a major while keeping on track for graduation in four years.
EXCEL students reside in Lake Hall which is centrally located on campus directly next to the Kent State Student Center. Our Exploratory Advising Center is located in Lake Hall which is the office of our professional academic advisors for all Exploratory students. Within the EXCEL Living-Learning Community, students form strong bonds among themselves, with peer mentors and with staff and faculty. The Resident Assistants (RA) staff in Lake Hall helps to build healthy and fun communities with the support of the Residence Hall Director and Assistant Residence Hall Director. EXCEL residents are able to plan programs and guide the traditions and celebrations of the community by being a part of Lake Hall Council.
EXCEL students actively participate in exploring Kent State majors and career interest assignments. Students are enrolled in selected linked-courses for EXCEL students. Students will attend day and evening programs focused on selecting a major, academic success strategy, study skills, faculty conversation gatherings, time management, and more!
Opportunities are available to participate in civic engagement and community service projects with our community partner, the Portage County Senior Center. Relax after a hard week studying at the Senior Center on Lake Hall’s monthly trip by playing a round of cards or game of dominoes. EXCEL peer mentors and Lake Hall RAs will plan social and fun activities within the hall and around the Kent State community. QuadFest is a carnival-like festival that will kick off fall semester and bring together the Quad area! Residents also look forward to the semi-annual Brinner (late night breakfast for dinner) at the end of every semester as a motivation to prepare for finals week.
EXCEL is an engaging and stimulating living learning community focused on developing academic, social and leadership success.
EXCEL Student Sentiments
- “I have been out of EXCEL for three years and I still see the positive impact it had on me.”
- “EXCEL has been a great experience. It helped me find a major and I met my best friend.”
- “EXCEL has helped me succeed both academically and socially.”
- “Don’t Dream it… be it, EXCEL!”
How do I participate?
- You must be an Exploratory major.
- You must be a first-year or transfer student with less than 25 credit hours
- You must live in Lake Hall
Follow these steps now
- Select Lake Hall and EXCEL Living Learning Community as your first choice on your residence hall application.
- Tell your academic advisor during your Destination Kent State (DKS), our Advising & Registration program that you plan to participate in the EXCEL program, (your academic advisor will enroll you the required courses).
- If you have already completed and submitted your residence hall application and want to change to Lake Hall-EXCEL Living Learning Community, log onto to the housing website to change the information on your application. The change must be entered by June 1st.
- If you need further assistance or have questions about EXCEL please contact the EXCEL coordinator.
The program fills fast… Sign Up Quickly!
Coordinator Contact Information:
Living Learning Community Coordinator, Student Success Programs
For more information about EXCEL and how to apply, visit the EXCEL Program website.