Instructions for Online Submissions
Help for Reducing File Size for Online Photo Submissions
In most instances, the following settings should result in a file size that is under 5 MB:
- If you are using a home scanner to scan your photo, adjust the setting to at least 300 DPI.
- Once your photo has been scanned and saved to your computer, open your photo with your photo editing program.
- Reduce the dimensions of the photo by editing its image size. Set the width to 1000 pixels and allow the height to adjust automatically by making sure the option for constraining proportions is selected.
- Save your photo.
- How to Resize Images in Photoshop: http://www.photoshopessentials.com/essentials/image-resizing.php
- How to Reduce Photo File Size Using Windows: http://www.ehow.com/how_6284299_reduce-file-size-using-windows.html
Free Online Photo Editing Programs
- Picnik, the easiest-to-use online photo editing tool. View our handy guide on using Picnik to resize/crop images
- Photoshop Express, where you can edit your photos in an online version of Photoshop.
- GIMP, another free image editor for Windows, Mac and Linux.
- Picture Manager, which comes with Microsoft Office and provides basic image manipulation. View manual
- Paint.NET, a free editor for Windows. View manual
- PowerToys, which adds a suite of tools to computers with Windows XP, including an image resizer. View manual | Download image resizer