Leadership Certificate (Post Secondary)
College of Business Administration
Academic Advising Office
Room 107, Business Administration Building
The leadership certificate is an undergraduate interdisciplinary program that integrates contemporary scholarship and experiential learning with a cross-cultural perspective, enhancing the leadership knowledge, skills and experience of students. The certificate program meets a growing need for leadership training as a critical component of the higher education experience. Students completing the program will have the knowledge and skills to become productive and effective purposeful leaders in various types of organizations.
The certificate program incorporates a variety of approaches to leadership. Under the mentorship of various faculty and staff, students benefit from academic as well as cocurricular opportunities. The certificate program is based on a foundation of scholarly dialogue and experiential learning. Emphasis is on ethical decision-making, self-motivation, motivating others, critical thinking, teamwork, interpersonal communication and service learning.
Kent State University admission requirements apply, including assessment testing. Students may enroll in the program even if they have prior degrees. Students must declare themselves as a certificate candidate prior to completing half of the courses and must complete a minimum of 15 credits at Kent State University.
Course requirements for the leadership certificate (15 credits):
- MIS 24163 Principles of Management (3)
- MIS 44093 Workshop: Learning to Lead (3) week-long residential experience offered during semester break periods
- Electives (9)
A list of possible electives is available from the Undergraduate Programs Office in the College of Business Administration.
Additional requirements for the leadership certificate:
- One semester supervised leadership practicum (50 hours, on or off campus, must be approved by a mentor) and reflection paper
- Participation in 80 hours of supervised community service, including a written summary and reflection of the experience(s)
- Attendance of 30 hours at leadership development workshops
- Development of a leadership portfolio to include documentation such as written reflections, leadership course-related papers, etc.
- Successful review of portfolio by faculty and staff
- 2.50 cumulative GPA