Transfer, Transitioning & Former Students

Transfer Students Transitioning Students Former Students

Transfer Students

Each year, many new students transfer to Kent State University to complete their education. Whether you have completed a semester, received an associate’s degree or attended a number of colleges, we would like to help you become one of Kent State’s more than 200,000 alumni.

Admission Policy:

  • It is recommended that Transfer applicants complete 12 or more semester hours in college-level coursework with a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0.
  • Transfer applicants who have completed fewer than 12 semester hours will be evaluated on both collegiate and high school records. Transfer applicants with fewer than 12 semester hours in college-level coursework must submit a final high school transcript and an ACT or SAT score.
  • All college-level courses taken at a regionally accredited Ohio college or university will transfer with a grade of D or better if taken fall 2005 and later.  Ohio courses taken prior to fall 2005 will transfer with a grade of C or better.  All college-level courses taken at a regionally accredited non-Ohio college or university and international credit will transfer with a grade of D or better if taken fall 2010 and later. Prior to fall 2010, out of state courses and international credit will transfer with a grade of C or better.
  • Applications are processed on a rolling basis.

Additional Academic Program Requirements


Find out how courses you have taken at your previous institution(s) will transfer to Kent State. This information is published and updated to help you see how your prior learning will transfer.

Transfer Credit Guide

To apply for admission a Transfer applicant must submit:

  • Online Application.
  • Application fee of $45.
  • All College-level transcripts.
  • High school transcript and ACT/SAT scores (if fewer than 12 semester hours of college-level coursework).

Admissions Timeline:

  • Apply for admission 6 months before enrollment. Apply online now!
  • The Transfer Center conducts transfer credit evaluation automatically after admission and will send an email notification to your "" email account once your transfer evaluation is complete.
  • February 15: Priority deadline to submit the FAFSA to the federal processor.
  • Contact the Department of Residence Services regarding on-campus housing.
  • Contact your Advising Office to discuss your transfer evaluation.

Transitioning from a Regional Campus to the Kent Campus

If you are currently attending a Regional Campus of Kent State and are considering the Kent Campus in a future semester, there are many resources available to ensure a successful transition. There is no additional application required. In order to obtain the best possible foundation for academic success, we recommend that you complete the following minimum academic achievements before transitioning to the Kent Campus:

  • Successfully complete any developmental coursework as prescribed by an academic advisor.
  • Successfully complete 12 semester hours of coursework.
  • Achieve a minimum cumulative GPA of 2.00.

Use the links below to learn more about making the transition to the Kent Campus:

Former Students

If you have taken classes at Kent State University in the past, you might not need to apply for admission. Below is information regarding procedure for reenrollment and reinstatement.


If you are a former Kent State University student or graduate who has not attended another college or university since you were previously enrolled, you do not need to reapply.

The Application for undergraduate reenrollment is for use by students who have previously attended Kent State University as an undergraduate student and would like to return as an undergraduate student. Applicants who have been convicted of a criminal offense or have charges pending against them must also complete a Personal Explanation Statement.

Application for Undergraduate Reenrollment (PDF)

Personal Explanation Statement (PDF)


If you wish to be reinstated at Kent State University after being academically dismissed, you do not need to reapply for admission. Rather, application for reinstatement after the required period of time away from the university should be submitted to the dean of the college or Regional Campus that houses the major program the student wishes to enter. (This is not necessarily the college from which the student was dismissed.)

Read the university’s academic dismissal policy at:

Download a reinstatement application (PDF)