Skip Navigation
*To search for student contact information, login to FlashLine and choose the "Directory" icon in the FlashLine masthead (blue bar).


  1. Q:  Who do I contact with general questions about my transcript, courses I have taken or need to take, or other basic information about registration and completing my degree?
    A:  Contact Maria Robertson, advisor for the School of Art:
  2. Q:  Who do I contact with specific questions about the art education program or concerns I have about a course or other things related to art education?
    A: Contact Dr. Linda Hoeptner Poling, Coordinator of Art Education:
  3. Q:  Who do I contact to make sure I'm on track with all that I'm supposed to do to complete my degree?
    A:  You should contact your art education faculty advisor once a year to safeguard that you are on track. Check the table on the previous page to see who is your faculty advisor.
Required Assessments and Licensure: 

Praxis I, OAE (Ohio Assessments for Educators), edTPA  (Teacher Performance Assessment), ODE (Ohio Department of Education), and Licensure

Praxis I and ODE
  1. Q: Where can I find answers to advising questions related to declaring advanced standing, praxis exams, licensure and student teaching?
    A: Most general advising questions can be answered by going to the EHHS student services website at
  2. Q: Where can I find information on Praxis I and ODE?
    A: All art education majors should take Praxis I as early in the program as possible. Do not delay. Praxis I should be completed by the end of the ARTE 31001 semester. For detailed information on Praxis I and ODE, including test preparation, registration, required scores, and resources, see
  3. Q: What's the passing Praxis I scores or equivalent required for Advanced Study?
  • Passing Praxis I Scores = 174 Spring 2010 and beyond (175 Fall 2009 & Prior)
  • Equivalent Required: ACT Reading = 26   or SAT Verbal = 620   or COMPASS Reading = 93


  • Passing Praxis I Scores = 172 Spring 2010 and beyond (173 Fall 2009 & Prior)
  • Equivalent Required: ACT English = 25   or SAT ——-   or COMPASS Writing = 92
  • Passing Praxis I Scores = 174
  • Equivalent Required: ACT Math = 25   or SAT Math = 620   or COMPASS Math

For more information go to:


Q. Where can I find information on OAE?

A. Beginning Sept. 1, 2013, a new test series (Ohio Assessments for Educators), began to replace the Praxis II series as the required Ohio educator licensure tests. Find out more at:


Q. Where can I find information on edTPA?

A. edTPA is an assessment process designed by educators to answer the essential question: "Is a new teacher ready for the job?" Ohio is one of twenty states participating in a consortium to develop a National Teacher Performance Assessment (edTPA) for preservice teachers. This assessment of student teaching performance is designed to measure the candidate's knowledge, skills and ability, including demonstrating his/her ability to appropriately instruct students. Candidate performances are scored by trained assessors against one or more rubrics that describe levels of performance relative to each task/activity. For more information, click here to visit the Ohio edTPA web site.

Licensure Requirement (not required for graduation)

Q: How do I apply for a teaching license?

A: Candidates seeking Ohio licensure are required to pass specific assessments in order to apply for licensure. See Ohio Department of Education-Educator Preparation website for more information on assessments specific to licensure type. Taking and passing the licensure tests prior to graduation is encouraged but not required. How to apply for a Teaching License starting January 2014 on the Vacca Office of Student Services site:

Program Requirements
  1. Q: What if I do not have a 2.75 GPA but want to get into art education?
    A: If you are close to a 2.75, you may be admitted into the first art education course.  Hopefully, you will raise your GPA during that semester to qualify for the program.
  2. Q: Are these all of the requirements for graduation?
    A: No, there are other general requirements that you will find under the program description in the catalog.  You will need Kent Core courses, a writing intensive course, a diversity course, etc.  so look for all of this information.