William Perrine, Ph.D candidate (ABD)
William's degrees are all in fashion. His Ph.D. is from Iowa State University in Ames, Iowa.His dissertation researched Generation Y's attitudes towards Fair Trade Products and investigated their Religiosity as a potential predictor of purchasing Fair Trade Products. William's Master's Degree is from Western Michigan University in Kalamazoo, Michigan.His Masters thesis researched the store attribute preferences of college aged Turkish consumers. His undergraduate degree is from Dominical University in River Forest, Illinois, just outside of Chicago. William's research interests include social justice in the apparel industry, sustainable consumption of apparel products, fashion student internship experiences, retail in emerging markets such as India and Turkey, paradoxical consumption patterns and network theory as related to the fashion industry.
Prior to coming to Kent State, William has taught at Western Michigan University, Iowa State University, Kalamazoo Valley Community College and the Izmir University of Economics in Izmir, Turkey.William worked in the fashion industry for fifteen years prior to teaching. He has done retail consulting, been a manager for several Limited, Inc stores, been a sales representative based out of the Chicago Apparel Center and has held district and national level visual merchandising and management positions with Sears. He currently teaches fashion merchandise planning and buying, computer applications for retailing, fashion law, social justice in the apparel industry, Photoshop / Illustrator and apparel in the global economy. He is also the faculty advisor for the Kent State University Fashion Student's Organization.
For fun William enjoys working on sports cars, watching Formula 1 auto racing, cooking, traveling, spending time with his family and hearing from former students!
Scholarly, Creative & Professional Activities
- ITAA. San Antonio, TX.Internship experiences of fashion design and merchandising students. 2006
- ITAA. Washington DC. Shopping preferences of college aged Turkish consumers. 2005
- Michigan Association of Family and Consumer Sciences Annual Meeting, Lansing, Michigan, June 2004
- Aegean Apparel Export Symposium.Izmir, Turkey 2002
- International Apparel Federation Convention. Istanbul, Turkey 2003
- Turkish Apparel Manufacturers Conference. Istanbul, Turkey 2003
- WMU Latvia Seminar.Riga, Latvia 2002
- National Public Radio's Around Noon Program.Regular Panel Member on Seasonal Fashion Call-in Program. 2007-Present.
- WEWS News Channel Five.Segment on career dressing for less during hard economic times.2008
- Jimmy Key Apparel Stores. Visual and Store Merchandising. Izmir, Turkey, 2003
- The Wine Shop.Human Resources and Store Merchandising. Ames, Iowa, 2005
Interpreting India (2005).Surface Design Journal Newsletter.