Because global linkages are important to a fashion student's education, The Fashion School offers multiple opportunities for our students to be involved in international programs. Study tours to Europe and Asia are offered on a regular basis.
A Fashion School student networks her way across 13 countries: A study abroad success story
The Fashion School's NYC Studio:
Located in the NYC Fashion District, the NYC Studio provides full-semester academic programs for Kent State fashion students in the Fall, Spring, or Summer terms. Guest students, studying fashion at their home school, may also attend the program during Summer Session.
For further information, click here.
"My experience in New York has been the greatest thing I've done in my life so far. I've learned so much not only in school, but just about being in the city. All the mentors we had were wonderful and couldn't ask for better directors! I feel this experience has prepared me for my future career in NYC! Thank you."
–Kayla Shaw, Kent State University
Kent State University in Florence:
- Fall semester classes are offered by The Fashion School in Florence each year.
- A study tour to other European fashion capitals, such as Paris and London, is included.
- Junior-level design studio classes and Junior-Senior-level merchandising classes are offered. Preliminary class offerings are posted the year prior to the experience.
- The cost of this experience includes tuition, housing arrangements and study tours. The actual cost is posted annually.
- For more information about the Fall 2012 program, please download the preliminary program handout here. You may also contact the Study Away Coordinator at FDM-StudyAway@kent.edu, or make an appointment with your advisor.
Paris American Academy:
During the summer, fashion design and merchandising students may earn six (6) Kent State credits while taking approved Fashion School courses at the Paris American Academy (PAA), in Paris, France. The month-long program, held in July, includes field trips, on-site experiences, hands-on workshops, lectures, and activities designed to expand an understanding of fashion. The PAA strongly believes in promoting international education as essential to "future global co-operation and understanding".
- 2013 Program Dates: July 2 - 28. Students should plan to arrive in Paris by Monday, July 1 for housing check-in.
Design and merchandising majors of sophomore, junior or senior academic standing are eligible to apply for the Summer 2013 KSU PAA Program. Participants must have at least a 2.5 cumulative GPA, upon commitment to the program.
- Course Offerings and Requirements:
Program provides 6 credits for FDM Electives or Support Core Electives for FD. Learning experiences include:
Fashion Merchandising and Communications Specialization: European Fashion Marketing, FDM 35902 (3 credits) European Fashion Marketing Seminar, FDM 35903 (3 credits)
Fashion Design majors choose from one of two Specializations: Design Process OR Couture Techniques. Courses for both Specializations include:
European Fashion Design Seminar, FDM 35905 (3 credits) European Fashion Design, FDM 35904 (3 credits)
- Program Costs:
$2,550 USD Tuition (in-State)
$1,300 USD Program Fee
Located within 1 mile of the school, in the Latin Quarter. Housing is arranged by the PAA. Students pay housing costs directly to the PAA. Housing options include:
Shared, private furnished apartment: $2,100
Shared, three star hotel twin room: $2,600
Single, three star hotel single room: $4,800
You may also visit the Paris American Academy website, in reference to the summer program offerings, at http://parisamericanacademy.fr.
- Guest Students:
Students from other colleges and universities must be enrolled at KSU as a guest student. Guest students should consult their academic advisor from their home institution to determine how this experience will count toward their degree.
Guest students must also complete and submit the Transient Admission Application form (including $10 application fee) to apply for Guest Student Status. Guest students will receive an official letter from Kent State University verifying admittance to Kent State. This letter also includes information on setting up your Kent State student account.
TRANSIENT STUDENT APPLICATION LINK
Guest students may request a transcript to send to their home school via the Kent State University Registrar by visiting http://www.kent.edu/registrar/student/transcript.cfm.
Guest students must pay their Program Fees by personal check until they receive their Kent State username and password to access the online payment system.
- Making a Payment
To pay by credit card:
- Go to www.kent.edu/bursar
- Click on Pay Online/View E-bill (on left side of page)
- Log in using FlashLine user ID and password (provided in KSU Admissions acceptance letter)
- Click Make Payment on the blue bar at the top of the page
- Select Fashion Design and Merchandising on right side of page
- Read the page that explains the fees, click on your selection, then Add to School Bag
- Select Checkout to choose payment method
Online you will choose the following selection:
Paris July 2013 Fashion Program Fee. $1,300 non-refundable, non-transferable program fee due with Program Application by February 1, 2013 to secure enrollment in the Paris July 2013 Fashion Program (July 2 – July 28). NOTE: Tuition is billed to student's Bursars account and is due approximately one month prior to the start of the program. Arranged housing fees are paid directly to the Paris American Academy.
To pay by check:
Make all checks payable to Kent State University.
Through the generous support of the Bob Broadbent International Scholarship Fund, The Fashion School is pleased to offer one (1) $3,000 US, merit-based scholarship to apply towards the Paris American Academy (PAA)/Fashion School July program. The scholarship recipient will also receive a housing scholarship from the PAA, covering PAA-arranged housing costs. Please download the Scholarship Flyer and Application for further details and directions.
SCHOLARSHIP FLYER LINK
SCHOLARSHIP APPLICATION LINK
- Four junior/senior students chosen annually to exchange between the two universities.
- The students register at their home university at the regular tuition.
- Students from KSU chosen for this experience also receive a scholarship for financial support of items such as airfare.
- Housing arrangements are made by both universities but must be paid for by the student living there.
- Ask your adviser for more information if you are interested.
- CLICK HERE for the application form for the Spring 2014 semester in Hong Kong. You may print this form and send it or bring it (along with the accompanying materials) to the Fashion School by 5:00pm on August 26, 2013.
- You may also view a FLYER about the Hong Kong semester.
The American Intercontinental University in London, England
welcomes our students through an articulation agreement between the two schools.
- Check the bulletin board in Rockwell Hall for flyers on this program or ask your advisor.
- Summer programs as well as academic semesters are available.