About TRIO: First Generation College Student Programs
What is TRIO?
TRIO is committed to providing educational opportunities for Americans—regardless of race, ethnic background or economic circumstance.
Funded under Title IV of the Higher Education Act of 1965, the TRIO programs grew with the goal to assist low-income individuals persist to a college degree and thrive in America’s economic and social life.
WHAT IS TRIO STUDENT SUPPORT SERVICES?
Student Support Services is one of the federally funded TRIO programs.
TRIO Student Support Services provides free services to students who are:
- First-generation college students
- Students registered with the Student Accessibility Services (SAS) office on campus
- Students from specific income backgrounds (including Pell Grant recipients)
Services include: tutoring, mentoring, workshops, a laptop lending program, and grant aid. The purpose of the program is to help students succeed, and graduate from college.
Each TRIO SSS participant receives additional advising support from the TRIO SSS program. Many of these services include (but are not limited to):
- Assistance interpreting the Kent State University Graduation Planning System (GPS)
- Student progress monitoring to aid in successful navigation of the Kent State GPS
- Drop/add counseling
- Assistance in selecting a major
- Career guidance
- Strengths assessment and evaluation