Obtaining Academic Credit
If you have obtained an internship and wish to receive accounting academic credit, this page will explain the process.
The Accounting Internship Program is open to:
- Junior and Senior declared accounting majors and Masters of Accounting students.
- Students with a GPA of 3.0 or higher in major courses at the end of the semester prior to the internship semester. The major GPA includes ACCT 23020 and ACCT 23021 for the purpose of internship GPA determination.
- Undergraduate accounting majors must have completed ACCT 23020 and ACCT 23021 (or equivalent), and have enrolled in at least one other accounting course.
- Masters of Accounting students must have completed ACCT 33012 and 33010 (or equivalent).
You may take the internship for credit. It is worth 3 academic credits (grade base is S/U). Students are required to register for ACCT 43092 (undergraduate) or ACCT 63092 (graduate) if they want to receive academic credit (after approval is received to register for the course). Only one internship experience is allowed for academic credit in each degree program.
All Academic Credit Internships:
- Must be at least 300 hours.
Typically, your current position with an employer you may have a full-time or part-time position does not qualify for accounting academic credit. However, if you current employer is willing to let you doing something different that is accounting related, it can be considered for accounting academic credit.
- Approved by the Office of Business Experiences in the College of Business prior to the beginning of the internship.
- Approved by the Accounting Department Internship Coordinator (Mr. Rose) prior to the beginning of the internship.
The majority of the internships are in the spring semester; however, there are some that are in the summer and also the fall semester.
Note: Even though you may not qualify for Accounting academic credit due to not meeting the minimum GPA requirement and/or not having the required course work, you may qualify for general business academic credit. Therefore, it is recommended you complete the internship form.