Skip Navigation
*To search for student contact information, login to FlashLine and choose the "Directory" icon in the FlashLine masthead (blue bar).

History of PSE

In 1951, Lloyd L. Antle, an Ohio University graduate and professor of Marketing at Georgia State University (formerly Georgia State College), conceived the idea that the sales profession should have a professional fraternity of its own. Mr. Antle spoke to two other professors - Dr. William H. Harris and Dr. Henry O. Baker - who agreed that in the ensuing years sales and marketing would become a vital force in the economy. These three men, Lloyd Antle, Dr. William Harris, and Dr. Henry Baker, approached Mr. Lewis F. Gordon for his ideas. In addition to being a charismatic and energetic marketing executive, Mr. Gordon had helped to found the Sales and Marketing Executives(SME) association of Atlanta and was a natural choice to help design the first collegiate fraternity in marketing, sales management, and selling.

All four men were members of SME Atlanta. They approached other members, gained their support, set up organizational meetings, and worked diligently to develop plans. After an entire year of planning, with all involved contributing considerable time, effort, and finances, the foundation for this new organization was laid. With input from students, professionals and our founders, five essential aspects of Pi Sigma Epsilon were developed: the Statement of Purpose, Constitution and Bylaws, Creed, Key and Ritual of Initiation. The Greek letters of Pi Sigma Epsilon were carefully chosen to represent members of the fraternity.
  • Prospective Sales Executives (collegiate's)
  • Preparers of Sales Executives (educators)
  • Professional Sales Executives (professionals and alumni)

The Fraternity was incorporated under the Georgia Laws of Incorporation on May 14, 1952, and our first chapter, Alpha, was installed at Georgia State University (formerly Georgia State College).