Brief History of the College
The technology programs at Kent started as early as 1913 when space was allocated on campus for “manual training” as an integral component for the preparation of teachers at Kent State Normal School. In 1995 the Independent School of Technology was established as an integrated eight campus academic unit. The Independent School of Technology consisted of three academic units, namely: Division of Aeronautics, Division of Applied Business and Technology, and the Division of Applied Science and Technology. In 2006 the School of Technology achieved College status and became the College of Technology. In 2011 all technology programs associated with regional campuses were separated from the Kent Campus and became part of the newly formed Regional College. In July 2012 the name of the College of Technology was changed to the College of Applied Engineering, Sustainability, and Technology to reflect the changing mission of the College toward development of new applied engineering and sustainability programs.