BS Applied Engineering - Computer Engineering Technology Concentration
The Computer Engineering Technology concentration (CET) is an in-depth, hands-on curriculum that prepares students for computer technology- or computer engineering technology-related careers. The program emphasis is on the system-level design, development, integration, management, and evaluation of computer and network components and systems in a variety of settings. The program focuses on the development of computer systems performance analysis and troubleshooting knowledge and skills, and laboratory experiences are extensively integrated throughout the curriculum. Students graduating from this concentration will be able to design, develop, install, interface, upgrade, analyze, evaluate, maintain, repair, manage, and secure personal computer and computer networking hardware components and systems.
This concentration prepares students for professional and hands-on careers in the field of Computer Engineering Technology
Upon program completion, a Computer Engineering Technology graduate will acquire the knowledge, skills, and experience required to do the following:
- Analyze and evaluate computer and network systems performance and capability
- Design, develop, build, and implement computer and network systems
- Install, configure, operate, and maintain computer data acquisition hardware and software; and peripheral devices
- Install and configure computer and network systems hardware and software
- Test, troubleshoot, maintain and repair computer and network systems; and peripheral devices
- Interface computer hardware and software
- Manage/administer computer and network systems using various operating systems, network management software applications, and software tools
- Interface, configure, and program microprocessors and other embedded processors with various sensors, devices, computing systems, and data communications systems
- Receive basic knowledge necessary to certify in Network+ and A+
- Receive a substantial portion of the information required for Cisco CCNA certification
- Analyze and evaluate network system performance requirements to determine the network architecture/topology and protocols required
- Apply design and engineering principles to analyze and make design decisions and solve technical problems related to computer engineering technology.
- Communicate clearly and effectively both orally and in writing
- Apply technical problem solving skills, including the ability to identify problems through proper analysis and troubleshooting techniques, and the appropriate use of laboratory and test equipment
- Specify enterprise computing platforms, operating systems, network equipment, and network security and management software applications
- Demonstrate an understanding of digital data communications to include communications methods and standards/protocols, LAN and WAN systems, wireless network communications, and network security.
Requirements for BS Applied Engineering degree - Computer Engineering Technology