Map Loading...

Campus Building Directory

Acorn Alley

acorn-1

Acorn Alley is a complex that houses small retail shops and businesses, modeled roughly on the English Mews, at the top of East Main Street. Many of those businesses are run by Kent State graduates, employ Kent State students who learn on the job and/or cater to student customers.

Administrative Services Building (ASB)

Airport (AIR)

Airport
4020 Kent Rd., Stow, Ohio 44224

Opened in 1920 under the name of Stow Aviation Field, in 1945 the terminal building was built and then in 1947, the large army surplus hangar was erected on the field. The university purchased the airport in 1943 and renamed it the Kent State University Airport. In 1966, the name of the field was changed to Andrew W. Paton Field to honor the professor who taught the university's first aerospace course in 1947.

Allerton Apartments (SFA)

allerton
825-1050 Allerton Dr., Kent, Ohio 44242

The Allerton Student Family Housing complex is designed to provide students with affordable living accommodations while pursuing a degree at Kent State University. The Allerton community is composed of a diverse population thus creating a rich living and learning environment. In addition, you will also find a wide mixture of family arrangements, age groups, traditions, religions and interests. Upperclass and graduate students are eligible for the Allerton Apartments.

Allyn Hall (ARX)

allyn
550 Senhauser Drive, Kent, Ohio 44242

Constructed in 1963, this freshman only residence hall was named for Arden L. Allyn, Dean Emeritus of the College of Business Administration, 1934–1944. Allyn Hall is located at 550 Senhauser Drive and is part of the Eastway Center Complex (comprising Allyn, Clark, Fletcher & Manchester Halls) of the Department of Residence Services.

Art Annex (ARX)

ArtAnnex
325 Terrace Drive, Kent, Ohio 44242

Built in 1916, originally to supply steam for campus heating and cooling, the building sits across from the Art Building, home of the School of Art. The aging steam plant was decommissioned in 2001 when the Summit Street Power Plant was completed. In 2004, the facility gained new life and purpose as the Art Annex, with labs and work space for students and faculty. The building's four floors house spacious wood and metal sculpture labs, semiprivate studios for advanced undergraduate and graduate student projects, faculty studios, a critique gallery, storage space, exhibition space and clay and plaster studios.

Art Building (ART)

Art Building
400 Janik Drive, Kent, Ohio 44242

The Art Building was built in 1972 and was designed by Art faculty. It houses the School of Art, including galleries to display both professional and student work. The School of Art Gallery, located on the second floor of the Art Building, presents six major exhibits a year.

Beall Hall (BEA)

beall
1475 Eastway Drive, Kent, Ohio 44242

Beall Hall is named for Florence Gray Beall, Professor Emeritus of English from 1933-1957. The facility houses students with class standings of sophomore and above and is located at 1475 Eastway Drive. Built in 1966, Beall and McDowell Halls comprise the Twin-Towers Complex of Residence Services. The rooms in Twin Towers are suites, with each suite consisting of two bedrooms, a shared living area and a bathroom connected with another suite.

Beck Family Gardens (BG)

Beck Family Gardens
Behind the Brain Plaza

The Beck Family Gardens are located in the 'Behind the Brain' Plaza on the east side of Merrill Hall. This perennial garden was designed and planted by University Horticulturalist Mike Norman. The Beck Family decided they would set up a foundation account to support the upkeep and maintenance of this beautiful setting. The gardens contain many varieties of perennial plants and shrubs accentuated by mature trees existing from the original plaza.

Business Administration Building (BSA)

Cartwright Hall (CWH)

Cartwright Hall
650 Hilltop Drive, Kent, Ohio 44242

The Auditorium Building (also known as Cartwright Hall) was the location of the Library until 1927 and of the executive offices of the University until 1976.

Centennial Court A (CCA)

CentennialCourtA
275 Midway Drive, Kent, Ohio 44242

Centennial Court A is a suite style, coeducational residence hall located at 275 Midway Drive. Each student room is carpeted, air conditioned and has a semi-private bath. The facility houses students with class standings of freshman and above and opened for fall semester 2002.

Centennial Court B (CCB)

CentennialCourtB
325 Midway Drive, Kent, Ohio 44242

Centennial Court B is a suite style, coeducational residence hall located at 325 Midway Drive. Each student room is carpeted, air conditioned and has a semi-private bath. The facility houses students with class standings of freshman and above and opened for fall semester 2002.

Centennial Court C (CCC)

CentennialCourtC
1300 Chiarucci Drive, Kent, Ohio 44242

Centennial Court C is a single student, semi-suite style, coeducational residence hall located at 1300 Chiarucci Drive. Each student room is carpeted, air conditioned and has a semi-private bath. The facility houses students with class standings of junior and above and opened for fall semester 2003.

Centennial Court D (CCD)

Centennial Court D
1300 Chiarucci Drive, Kent, Ohio 44242

Centennial Court C is a single student, semi-suite style, coeducational residence hall located at 1300 Chiarucci Drive. Each student room is carpeted, air conditioned and has a semi-private bath. The facility houses students with class standings of junior and above and opened for fall semester 2003.

Centennial Court E (CCE)

CentennialCourtE
1400 Chiarucci Drive, Kent, Ohio 44242

Centennial Court D is a suite style, coeducational residence hall located at 1350 Chiarucci Drive. Each student room is carpeted, air conditioned and has a semi-private bath. The facility houses students with class standings of sophomore and above and opened for fall semester 2004.

Centennial Court F (CCF)

CentennialCourtF
1450 Chiarucci Drive, Kent, Ohio 44242

Centennial Court F is a suite style, coeducational residence hall located at 1450 Chiarucci Drive. Each student room is carpeted, air conditioned and has a semi-private bath. The facility houses students with class standings of sophomore and above and opened for fall semester 2003.

Centennial Research Park (CRP)

CentennialResearchPark
1950 St. Route 59, Kent, Ohio 44240

Constructed in 1991 for the former Campus Bus Service and acquired by the university in 1997, the facility provides space and support for specialized companies to thrive and grow near the university and its other partners. The 41,000-square-foot research park will house two high-tech start-up companies that have their roots in liquid crystal research activities launched at Kent State. The anchor tenant will be the FLEXMatters Accelerator, a broad, public-private high-technology collaboration, designed to produce a new generation of advanced materials and promote regional economic development.

The facility will also provide Kent State graduate and undergraduate students opportunities for research, internships and employment; faculty researchers from the Liquid Crystal Institute and other disciplines will be available for collaborative projects; and the university has entrepreneurial assets available to aid business growth through its centers that specialize in technology transfer, small business development, business innovation and minority-owned businesses.

Ceramics Laboratory (CRL)

Ceramics
975 Risman Drive, Kent, Ohio 44242

The Ceramics Laboratory was built in 1945 and was originally an athletes dormitory (what is now the Student Center parking lot was the football field then). For a while it was used for physiology research. It was enlarged in 1980 and kilns were added for its present use.

Child Development Center (CDC)

ChildDevCtr
775 Loop Road, Kent, Ohio 44242

The Child Development Center was constructed in 1991. The Child Development Center is a laboratory preschool operating in collaboration with the College of Education's nationally recognized program in early childhood education. The CDC provides day care for nearly 200 area preschoolers and also provides training and research opportunities for students majoring in early childhood education.

Clark Hall (CLK)

Clark
1450 Petrarca Drive, Kent, Ohio 44242

Constructed in 1963, this freshman only residence hall was named for Raymond M. Clark, Professor of Psychology and Interim President, 1943-1944. Clark Hall is located at 1450 Petrarca Drive and is part of the Eastway Center Complex (comprising Allyn, Clark, Fletcher & Manchester Halls) of the Department of Residence Services.

Cunningham Hall (CHH)

Cunningham
1275 University Esplanade, Kent, Ohio 44242

Cunningham Hall is the current location of the Biology Department and the Biomedical Sciences department.

DeWeese Health Center (DHC)

DeWeese
1500 Eastway Drive, Kent, Ohio 44242

The DeWeese Health Center is the home of the Campus Health Center, designed to help students with problems related to their physical and emotional health. It was constructed in 1969 and offers medical and psychological services to students. It was named for A. O. DeWeese, University Physician from 1924 until 1958.

Dix Stadium (DIX)

Dix Stadium
2213 Summit Road, Kent, Ohio 44242

The 22,000-seat Dix Stadium is home to the Division I-A Golden Flash football team. The stadium is also available for high school football games, intramurals, concerts and other special events and is adjacent to the Field House.

Dunbar Hall (DUN)

Dunbar Hall
225 Midway Drive, Kent, Ohio 44242

Located in the New Front Area of campus, Dunbar Hall is a three story, open class standing student residence. Its mailing address is 225 Midway Drive. It was named for Margaret Dunbar, University Librarian from 1913-1943.

East Campus Chilled Water Plant

Eastway Center (EWC)

Eastway Center
1375 Eastway Drive, Kent, Ohio 44242

Allyn, Clark, Fletcher and Manchester Halls make up Eastway Center and are student residence halls. The complex also houses two dining facilities, Eastway Café on the upper level and Eastway Deli on the lower level. The deli provides a market where students can buy convenience store items, fresh fruit, meats and cheeses with their dining plans.

Engagement with Color

Engagement with Color

Korean-born Mikyoung Kim, is an internationally known landscape architect and professor at the Rhode Island School of Design. The sculpture shows the vibrant conditions found in the cross-polarized images of liquid crystals by the use of various colors of fiber optic light within the structure. The sculpture and its environment of color are places for direct engagement and contemplation. The work is placed appropriately, in proximity to the Liquid Crystal Materials Science Building. It is on the Esplanade Path Sculpture Walk and funded by the Ohio Percent for Art Project.

Engleman Hall (ENG)

Engelman Hall
175 Terrace Drive, Kent, Ohio 44242

Engleman Hall was the third residence hall built on the Kent Campus. It was named for James O. Engleman, President of the University from 1928-1937. Engleman Hall is comprised of furnished apartments with either one or four bedrooms. It is located at 175 Terrace Drive.

Eye to Eye

Eye to Eye

The sculpture, installed in 2010, consists of two large welded aluminum heads facing each other with thought bubbles stemming from their heads. The sculptor, Barry Gunderson, a Professor of Art at Kenyon College, said he was inspired by what psychologists do. He also said the arrangement of the two heads is supposed to raise the question: 'Who is the analyst and who is the subject?' He explained further: 'Every public art piece I do, I try to find some relation to the site so it’s not just being plopped into place,' Gunderson said in this case, psychology, 'where researchers are exploring what goes on in individuals' minds,' was his influence. He added, 'the subject is also trying to figure out what is going on in the researcher’s mind.' 'Eye to Eye' is located on the university’s Esplanade Path Sculpture Walk.

Fallen Students Memorial

Fallen Students Memorial

On the first anniversary of May 4, a small group stood in prayer and dedicated a cast aluminum plaque to the memory of Allison Krause, Jeffrey Miller, Sandra Scheuer, and William Schroeder. This marker, which had been financed by and cast under the direction of B'nai B'rith Hillel, lay unanchored at the foot of a tree in the parking lot adjacent to Prentice Hall until it disappeared on the evening of May 3, 1974.

In February 1975, a faculty committee collected contributions for a new marker which was dedicated on May 3, 1975. For 15 years this granite stone served as a focal point of May 4 memorial observances on the Kent campus. Every year on the evening of May 3, it marks the end of the candlelight procession that weaves its way around the campus starting at the Victory Bell and ending at this marker where participants leave the remains of their lit candles in remembrance.

As a result of a request from the May 4 Task Force Student Organization, memorials stand in the locations where four students were killed during the May 4 shootings in the Prentice Hall parking lot. Six black bollards surmounted with torch lights mark the spots where each of the four Kent State University students were shot by Ohio National Guardsmen on May 4, 1970. Each memorial contains a granite cornerstone with an engraving of the student’s name, Allison Krause, Jeffrey Miller, Sandra Scheuer and William Schroeder and the date May 4, 1970.

Field House (FLD)

Fieldhouse
2227 Summit Road, Kent, Ohio 44242

Built in 1989 for use by Intercollegiate Athletics’ teams for training and practices, the Field House, located adjacent to Dix Stadium, includes a full-size football field, indoor track and state-of-the-art weight room. Additional green areas for intramural and extramural sports are provided as well.

  •  Athletics Strength and Conditioning

Fletcher Hall (FLR)

Fletcher Hall
1350 Petrarca Drive, Kent, Ohio 44242

Constructed in 1963, this freshman only residence hall was named for Mona Fletcher, Professor Emeritus of Political Science, 1924-1963. Fletcher Hall, located at 1350 Petrarca Drive, is part of the Eastway Center Complex (comprising Allyn, Clark, Fletcher & Manchester Halls) of the Department of Residence Services.

Foundation and Development (FDB)

Foundation and Development
1061 Fraternity Circle, Kent, Ohio 44242

Built in 1972, and acquired by the university in 1998, the Foundation and Development Building houses the offices of Institutional Advancement and the Kent State University Foundation. Raising private funds and building partnerships are key to sustaining Kent State's mission of teaching, research and outreach. Advancement professionals help to link alumni and friends to a variety of worthwhile initiatives. The Kent State University Foundation is a not-for-profit entity that receives monies on behalf of the university, manages and invests those funds, and administers them in accordance with donor wishes. While serving only Kent State, the foundation is legally separate from it.

Franklin Hall (FRH)

Franklin Hall
550 Hilltop Drive, Kent, Ohio 44242

Franklin Hall was the location of University school until 1956. It was originally named for William A. Cluff, secretary of the Board of Trustees, and renamed in 1956 after Franklin Mills, the original name of the City of Kent. After nearly two years of extensive renovation, the structure re-opened in the fall of 2007 and was transformed into a state-of-the-art center for multi-media education, research and outreach. Franklin Hall rehabilitation marks the last phase of major projects to restore the historic front campus to its former splendor in time for the university's centennial in 2010.

Golf Course and Club House (CBH)

Golf Course Clubhouse
2346 State Route 59, Kent, Ohio

The Kent State University Golf Course, located just two miles east of campus, offers students, alumni and the public some of the best and most affordable greens in Northeast Ohio.

  • Golf Course

Gym Annex (ANX)

Gym Annex
350 Midway Drive, Kent, Ohio 44242

Added to the Memorial Gym (now M.A.C. Center) in 1977, the Gym Annex houses the School of Exercise, Leisure and Sport. The College of Architecture and Environmental Design facilities in the Gym Annex include 3rd- and 4th-year and graduate architecture design studios and also the interior design studios.

Harbourt Hall (HAR)

Loop Road, Kent, Ohio 44242

Dedicated in 1967, this one-time residence hall was named for Stephen A. Harbourt, professor of biology, 1922-1940.

Heer Hall (HRH)

Loop Road, Kent, Ohio 44242

Dedicated in 1967, this one-time residence hall was named for Amos L. Heer, professor emeritus of education, 1937-1956. This hall houses the Division of Human Resources, RPIE and Academic Personnel offices.

Henderson Hall (HDN)

Henderson Hall
1375 University Esplanade, Kent, Ohio 44242

Henderson Hall is the current location for the College of Nursing.

Hillel

613 E. Summit Street Kent, Ohio 44242

Ice Arena (ICA)

Ice Arena
650 Loop Road, Kent, Ohio 44242

The Ice Arena was built in 1970 and contains two ice rinks, one used mostly for recreational skating and one for hockey and figure skating. A double Ice Arena provides recreational skating, club sports and lessons.

Ice Arena Lot

Non-permit holders may purchase a 3-hour temporary permit for $.50, which is available at one of the two yellow permit dispensers located outside the arena. Permits are not required from 6 p.m. Friday through 11 p.m. Sunday.

Johnson Hall (JHN)

Johnson Hall
325 Janik Drive, Kent, Ohio 44242

Named for John T. Johnson, Professor of Agriculture and Photography, 1921-1951, Johnson Hall is an honors only student residence. Originally constructed in 1956, the prior structure was demolished and the current state-of-the-art facility opened for fall semester 2006. The building is located at 325 Janik Drive.

Kent Center for the Performing Arts (CPA)

Music and Speech Building - Roe Green Center
1325 Theatre Drive, Kent, Ohio 44242

The Kent State community enjoys high-quality musical performances in the Ludwig Recital Hall, located in the Hugh A. Glauser School of Music, as well as outstanding theatrical and dance performances in the E. Turner Stump Theatre and the Wright-Curtis Theatre, located in the School of Theatre and Dance. These facilities are housed in the Kent Center for the Performing Arts, formerly the Music and Speech Center.

Kent Hall (KTH)

Kent Hall
600 Hilltop Drive, Kent, Ohio 44242

Kent Hall was named for William S. Kent, the donor of the land for the original campus. Kent Hall houses the Department of Psychology, the Psychological Clinic, and the Applied Psychology Center, as well as classrooms. Recently, Kent Hall underwent numerous renovations, resulting in the establishment of the Kent Hall Addition, which is located to the rear of Kent Hall and houses additional classroom facilities and faculty offices.

Kent Pavers

KentPavers

KENT, spelled out in concrete letters on front campus behind Rockwell Hall

Kent State Hotel and Conference Center

kent-state-hotel-conference-center
215 S Depeyster St.

The culmination of years of planning and collaboration between Alumni, University Officials and the Kent State Foundation, Kent State University Hotel and Conference Center provides the finest in accommodations, superb dining, libations and meeting facilities all adjacent to the Kent State Campus.

Our fully-integrated facility offers the utmost in hospitality for faculty, alumni, students and their families, and of course, visitors to the charming community of Kent. Perfectly situated in the heart of the city, we’re just a short stroll from bars, restaurants, shops and galleries…all that Kent has to offer.

  • Kent State Hotel
  • Kent State Conference Center

Kent State University Museum Visitor Lot

Visitor parking spaces are located adjacent to the building in the R1 Rockwell parking lot. Visitors must register their vehicle license plate number and sign the visitor's log upon entrance to the museum.

Kent Student Center (STC)

risman plaza
1075 Risman Drive, Kent, Ohio 44242

The Kent Student Center and Risman Plaza which spans more than six and one-half acres, provides facilities for meetings and special events of all kinds, offices for student clubs and organizations, campus services such as the bookstore, informal recreational facilities, fast food and fine dining. The beautiful Judith Beyer Murin Memorial Gardens, the Riley Alumni Gardens and the Herrick Gardens, all adjacent to the Risman Plaza (Kent Student Center), provide campus beauty and serve as an outdoor laboratory for botanical study.

Kiva

Risman Drive, Kent, Ohio 44242

The Kiva auditorium is part of the student center. It has theatre seating for 410 people. Room features include phone, wireless internet, video computer projector with laptop & DVD player, microphone’s both wired and wireless at an additional charge.

  • Auditorium

Koonce Hall (KOO)

Koonce Hall
325 Cunningham Drive Kent, Ohio

Koonce Hall is the largest student residence on campus and is part of the Tri-Towers Complex (Koonce, Leebrick & Wright Halls). Named for Judith E. Koonce, it is the only hall named after a Kent State student. It is a coeducational hall with no class standing restrictions.

Korb Hall (KOR)

Korb Hall
1425 Petrarca Drive, Kent, Ohio 44242

Korb Hall, at 1425 Petrarca Drive, functions both as Residence Services Administration as well as a freshman-only student residence. It was constructed in 1964 and is named for Otto J. Korb, former University Trustee.

KSU Arch

KSUArch

The Kent State University Arch was originally located near the now demolished Terrace Residential Hall. It spanned the entrance to the Campus at Midway Drive off of East Main Street.  A gift from the class of 1956, it served for many years as a gateway to the campus's post World War II eastward expansion. It was removed and renovated prior to the rebuilding and opening in 2006 of the Honors College, Stopher-Johnson Halls. Its present location, at the entrance to the Honor’s College parking lot, spans Janik Drive. It is directly between Bowman Hall and the Business Administration Building.

Lake Hall (LKO)

Lake Hall
500 Williams Drive, Kent, Ohio 44242

Lake Hall is a four story student residence located at 500 Williams Drive. It houses primarily undergraduate students in a double room configuration. The building was named for Charles H. Lake, a former University trustee.

Leebrick Hall (LEE)

Leebrick Hall
1575 Leebrick Drive, Kent, Ohio 44242

At twelve stories. Leebrick Hall is the tallest student residence on campus and is part of the Tri-Towers Complex (Koonce, Leebrick & Wright Halls). It is located at 1575 Leebrick Drive and is named for Karl Clayton Leebrick, Kent State President from 1938-1943. The building is made up completely of single rooms.

Leppo Garden

LeppoGardens

The Leppo Garden is located at Williamson Alumni Center. It is a gift from the Leppo family.

Library (LIB)

Library
1125 Risman Drive, Kent. Ohio 44242

The library contains more than 1.8 million volumes and more than 8,236 current serials subscriptions, including government documents. There are more than two-thousand seats at tables and carrels and in classrooms that can be used for research and study.

Lilac Lane

LilacLane

Lilac Lane is behind Ritchie and Engleman halls.

Lincoln Building (LNB)

Lincoln Building
120 North Lincoln Street, Kent, Ohio 44242

Constructed in 1966, the building has housed a number of departments and programs through the years.

Liquid Crystals Materials Science Building (LCM)

Liquid Crystal Institute
1425 University Esplanade, Kent, Ohio 44242

The Glenn H. Brown Liquid Crystal Institute (LCI) is the nation's premier academic center devoted to liquid crystal research. Scientists in the LCI conduct basic and applied research on liquid crystals and liquid crystal polymers. The LCI also houses the Chemical Physics Interdisciplinary Program, a graduate program leading to a M.S. or Ph.D. degree in liquid crystals with four areas of concentration.

Lowry Hall (LRH)

Lowry Hall
750 Hilltop Drive, Kent, Ohio 44242

Lowry Hall was named for John H. Lowry, legislator and sponsor of the bill which created Kent State Normal School.

Manchester Hall (MAN)

Manchester
1300 Petrarca Drive, Kent, Ohio 44242

Constructed in 1963, this student residence hall was named for Raymond E. Manchester, Professor of Psychology and Interim President, 1943-1944. Manchester Hall, located at 1450 Eastway Drive, is part of the Eastway Center Complex (Allyn, Clark, Fletcher & Manchester halls) of the Department of Residence Services.

Mathematics and Computer Science Building (MSB)

Mathematics and Computer Science Building
University Esplanade

The Mathematics and Computer Science Building was completed in 1993.

May 4 Memorial

May 4th Memorial

The May 4 Memorial is located on a two-and-one-half acre wooded site overlooking the Commons. Under President Michael Schwartz's leadership, the May 4th memorial was planned. The National Endowment for the Arts funded partially, a grant for a nationwide design competition. Although a Canadian won first place, he was disqualified because of his nationality. Bruno Ast, a Chicago architect, was the first runner-up and received the commission. Because of the limited private funding available for the memorial's execution, Ast was required to scale back his original plan. It was dedicated May 4, 1970. The memorial has a number of formally integrated components. A granite plaza, measuring 70 feet wide, rests on the crest of the wooded hillside adjacent to Taylor Hall overlooking the Commons. Bound by a granite sidewalk and bench to the east; to the north, a series of four black granite disks lead from the plaza into the wooded area where four free-standing pylons are aligned on the hill. The serene memorial built in the natural setting of the hillside commemorates the events of May 4, 1970, when four students were killed and nine were wounded during an antiwar protest on the Kent State University campus. Engraved on a plaque near the sidewalk north of the memorial are the names of the four students killed and nine wounded on May 4, 1970. The plaque reads, 'In loving memory of: Allison Krause, Jeffrey Miller, Sandra Scheuer, and William Schroeder. Respectfully remembered: Alan Canfora, John Cleary, Thomas Grace, Dean Kahler, Joseph Lewis, Donald McKenzie, James Russell, Robert Stamps and Douglas Wrentmore.'

Engraved in the stone floor where visitors step onto the plaza are the words 'Inquire, Learn, Reflect.'

McDowell Hall (MCD)

McDowell Hall
1500 Petrarca Drive, Kent, Ohio 44242

McDowell Hall is named for John McDowell, University Trustee from 1911–1922 and Secretary for the first Board of Trustees. The facility houses students with class standings of sophomore and above and it located at 1500 Petrarca Drive. Built in 1966, McDowell and Beall Halls comprise the Twin-Towers Complex of Residence Services. The rooms in Twin-Towers are suites, with each suite consisting of two bedrooms, a shared living area, and a bathroom connected with another suite.

McGilvrey Hall (MCG)

McGilvery Hall
325 South Lincoln Street, Kent, Ohio 44242

McGilvrey Hall was named for John J. McGilvrey, first president of the University from 1912-1926.

Memorial Athletic and Convocation Center (MAC)

MAC - Memorial Athletic and Convocation Center
1025 Risman Drive, Kent, Ohio 44242

The Memorial Athletic and Convocation Center was originally constructed in 1950, when it was known simply as Memorial Gym. The building underwent major renovation in 1992, when its name was modified. It was named in honor of the Americans who died in World War II. Kent State's MAC Center is home to men's and women's basketball, women's gymnastics, volleyball and wrestling.

Merrill Hall (MLH)

Merrill Hall
700 Hilltop Drive, Kent, Ohio 44242

Merrill Hall was originally constructed in 1912 and was named for Frank Merrill, one of the first home trustees. Merrill Hall is the oldest permanent structure on the Kent Campus, and is the first academic building. In its long history, it has undergone repeated minor changes to adapt it for a continual succession of widely varied academic and administrative uses. The building was extensively altered in 1931, 1969, and 1994.

Moulton Hall (MOU)

Moulton Hall
800 Hilltop Drive, Kent, Ohio 44242

Rededicated in 1998, the Moulton Hall Learning Technologies Center houses the university’s technological resources and links the university’s eight campuses, communities and corporations nationwide. The center provides an interactive, high-performance learning environment to help faculty and students make skillful use of information technologies. Moulton Hall was named after Edwin F. Moulton, the first president of the Board of Trustees. Moulton was one of Kent's original residence halls.

Murphy-Mellis Field (MMF)

2213 Summit Road, Kent, Ohio 44242

Murphy-Mellis Field is located behind Dix Stadium and is home to the Kent State Golden Flashes Field Hockey team.

Nixson Hall (NXH)

Nixson Hall
1225 Theatre Drive Kent, Ohio

Nixson Hall was named for Bertha L. Nixson, Professor of Home Economics from 1915-1945.

  • School of Health Sciences
  • English Language Proficiency Clinic
  • Health Education
  • Nutrition and Dietetics
  • Nutrition Outreach Center
  • Speech and Hearing Clinic
  • Human Development Center
  • Human Development and Family Studies
  • International Institute for Human Service Workforce Research and Development

Observatory (OBS)

NASA Observatory
Summit Road, Kent, Ohio

In November 1997, a robotic 12-inch telescope was put into service at the Observatory, jointly sponsored and operated for public viewing by the Department of Physics and a NASA-funded project in the College of Education. The KSU/NASA observatory is normally open for public observing on Friday evenings (weather permitting) beginning about one-half hour after sunset and lasting until about 10:30 pm. The observatory is staffed by Kent State University students who will show you the wonders of the night sky.

Olson Hall (OLS)

Olson Hall
875 University Esplanade, Kent, Ohio 44242

Olson Hall is a four story student residence located at 875 University Esplanade. It houses primarily undergraduate students in a double room configuration. Olson was named after David Olson, Professor of Geography 1913-1951.

Prentice Hall

prentice hall
225 Midway Drive, Kent, Ohio

Prentice Hall is named for May H. Prentice, the first female faculty member and was dedicated in 1959.

Rec Center Parking Lot

Non-permit holders may purchase a 3-hour temporary permit for $1.00 from the dispenser located in the lot outside the SRWC. Permits are not required from 6 p.m. Friday through 11 p.m. Sunday.

Ritchie Hall (ORH)

Oscar Ritchie Hall
225 Terrace Drive, Kent, Ohio 44242

Ritchie Hall was named for Oscar W. Ritchie, former Professor of Sociology and the first African-American faculty member at a state university in Ohio.

Rockwell Hall

Rockwell Hall
515 Hilltop Drive, Kent, Ohio 44242

  • Fashion Museum

 

Satterfield Hall (SFH)

Satterfield Hall
475 Janik Drive, Kent, Ohio 44242

Satterfield Hall was named for Chester E. Satterfield, former Professor of English.

Schoonover Stadium (VBF)

Schoonover Stadium
Campus Center Drive Kent, Ohio

This varsity baseball stadium is known as Schoonover Stadium in honor Harold (Hal) '49 and Julia Schoonover of Akron, who have been avid supporters of Kent State for more than 50 years.

Science Research Building (SRB)

Science Research Building
1200 University Esplanade, Kent, Ohio 44242

In 1986, the Science Research Building was built in the Science Mall Complex to provide additional research laboratory space for the departments of Biological Sciences, Chemistry and Physics.

Smith Hall (SMH)

Smith Hall
1250 University Esplanade, Kent, Ohio 44242

Smith Hall is the current location of the Physics Department and Planetarium.

Solar Totem

Solar Totem

Don Drumm, a fine arts graduate of Kent State University and a well known Akron-based sculptor, created the abstract piece of Corten steel. It was done in 1967, the year Taylor Hall was dedicated. The building at the time housed the Schools of Architecture and Journalism. After May 4th, it inadvertently became another point of contention: a bullet penetrated the metal, leaving a hole. The puncture in the steel is visible. Often candles and chalk writings are temporarily integrated into the sculpture's planar configuration. Located in front of Taylor Hall, it is a part of the National Register of Historic Landmark; it generates interest and discussion by visitors to the site.

Spiral Growth

Spiral Growth

'Spiral Growth' was completed in 2003 by Minnesota sculptor Janet Lofquist. Situated in the Riley Gardens, behind the biology building, Cunningham Hall, the organic form of the sculpture consists of light colored irregularly shaped Fond du lac stones set at different heights. Lofquist has made use of a spiral, a dynamic natural form to express growth. Accompanying the sculpture is a stylized leaf, which serves as an adjacent bench for seating. The work was commissioned by the Ohio Arts Council.

Starsphere 2010

Starsphere 2010

'Starsphere 2010,' a 5000-pound stainless-steel sculpture created by Susan Ewing of Oxford, Ohio is located at the north end of Franklin Hall, near the School of Journalism and Mass Communication.  Professor Ewing is on the faculty of Miami University and the recipient of many international awards and commissions. Her work, on the Kent State University Campus, was fabricated by John Bridges of Shadetree Machine in Madison Township, Ohio. Its star-like forms relate, as Ewing stated in an internet article for The Oxford Press, '...as a very abstract way to think about freedoms.' The events of May 4 and the aftermath have served as a point of departure for artists like Susan Ewing. She commented: 'I hope that it's a piece that stays in people’s minds...And they can think of intangible ideas like freedoms in the First Amendment.' 'Starsphere 2010' was funded by the Ohio Arts Council Percent for Arts program. It is also on the university's Esplanade Path Sculpture Walk. Professor Ewing is the recipient of numerous awards and her work has been widely exhibited and resides in many art collections and on sites.

Stewart Hall (STH)

1550 Johnston Drive Kent, Ohio

Stewart Hall was named for Alfred W. Stewart, Professor of Education, 1927-1954. It houses most of the Information Services offices.

Stockdale Building (STB)

Stockdale Building
530 East Summit Street, Kent, Ohio 44242

Stockdale Hall is the location of the Kent State Department of Public Safety, which includes Police Services and Fire Safety Services. It was named for Robert Stockdale, one-time faculty member, and later a state senator.

Stopher Hall (STO)

Stopher Hall
375 Janik Drive, Kent, Ohio 44242

Named for Emmett C. Stopher, University Registrar from 1927-1954, the newly renovated Stopher Hall houses students of all class standings. Originally constructed in 1956, the prior structure was demolished and the current state of the art facility opened for fall semester 2006. The building is located at 375 Janik Drive. The Area Desk for the Quad complex (Johnson, Lake, Olson & Stopher Halls) is located on the first floor.

  • Advanced Placement Program (College Board)
  • LLC - Honors College
  • Stopher Hall - Residence Hall

Student Center Visitor Lot

PLEASE NOTE: This lot will be closed throughout the summer and reopen for the Fall 2012 semester. The Student Center Visitor Lot costs $6/day max per visit. No charge after 6 p.m. Friday and on weekends.

Student Recreation and Wellness Center (SRC)

Student Wellness and Recreation Center
1550 Ted Boyd Drive, Kent, Ohio 44242

The Student Recreation and Wellness Center features a 35-foot climbing wall, leisure and fitness pools, an indoor track, a weight training area and aerobics studios.

Taylor Hall (TLH)

Taylor Hall
300 Midway Drive, Kent, Ohio 44242

Taylor Hall was named for William Taylor, former Professor of Journalism.

Terrace Hall Annex (TER)

Terrace Annex
125 Terrace Drive, Kent, Ohio 44242

The Kent Four

The Kent Four

In 1971, School of Art faculty member Alastair Granville-Jackson created 'The Kent Four' sculpture. It was one of the first art memorials to commemorate the four students who died on May 4, 1970. The four hollow arms of the orange metal sculpture were intended to project live flames. About his work, Professor Granville-Jackson said: 'After considering the manner of death, four rifle barrels, I took these symbols of destruction and turned them into four new emblems for the viewer to ponder.'

the light that can be heard

Roe Green Lobby

Olga Ziemska, a Polish-American artist from Cleveland, created the wall sculptures, 'the light that can be heard...' The work was inspired by the northern lights. Located in the lobby of the Roe Green Center for the School of Theatre and Dance, the sculptures are a dramatic focal point and icon for the Performing Arts and Music programs and building. It opened in 2010, having been renovated with funds provided by Roe Green. The medium of the work is unusual. It is a series of life size figures in motion set against the lobby wall and assembled with approximately 18,000 acrylic disks embed with photographs of student performances.

The Limits of Spoken Language: Congeries

Limits Of Spoken Language

Jarrett Hawkins of Deer Park, Ohio created the imposing Corten steel sculpture 'The Limits of Spoken Language: Congeries.' The sculpture, with its massive vertical forms, some in motion and others more static, was installed in 2010 as part of the renovated Risman Plaza project and is located on a raised area in front of the Main Library. The project received funding from the Ohio Percent for Arts Project and is one of several sculptures on the university’s Esplanade Path Walk.

The Witnesses

Athleta

The first artist chosen for the Esplanade Sculpture Walk is Ohio sculptor Giancarlo Calicchia. Born in Italy, Calicchia was formally trained in sculpture at Syracuse University, the University of Rome, the Academy of Fine Arts in Rome, and the Academy of Fine Arts in San Miguel de Allende in Mexico. He has created more than 2,000 sculptures and paintings during his career. His work for the Sculpture Walk forms a series called 'The Witnesses.' The carvings are of granite, of which the most prominent is titled 'Athleta.' It is surrounded by other pieces, smaller in scale, also named by the artist. The work is located on a hilly site between Terrace Drive and Kent Hall. For the project, Calicchia excavated granite monoliths, some extending as far as12 feet under the ground, from his vineyard and surrounding farm in Lake County's Madison Township area.

Tri-Towers Complex

Twin Towers Center (BEA)

575 Senhauser Drive. Kent Ohio 44242

Erected in 1966, McDowell and Beall Halls comprise the Twin-Towers Complex of the Department Residence Services. The rooms in Twin-Towers are suites, with each suite consisting of two bedrooms, a living area and a bathroom shared with another suite. The information desk for this area of campus is also within this structure.

Van Campen Hall (VNC)

Van Campen Hall
625 Loop Road, Kent, Ohio 44242

VanCampen Hall is a former student residence located at 21 Loop Road. It currently houses the Office of International Affairs. It was named for Marion VanCampen, a former Professor of Education.

Van Deusen Hall (VDN)

Verder Hall (VER)

Verder Hall
150 Midway Drive

Verder Hall is a coeducational student residence hall at 150 Midway Drive. Students of all class standings are eligible to live there and it has a large computer cluster with studio space for art students. It was named for Blanche A. Verder, Dean of Women from 1922-1942.

Victory Bell

Victory Bell

The Victory Bell is located behind Taylor Hall in an open grassy space known as the 'Commons.' The locomotive bell was donated by the Erie Railroad. In 1950 the university’s president George A. Bowman designated it for the Commons. Architecture student Arvid Johnson designed a structure of tan brick and sandstone to house the bell. It was constructed with funds raised by Alpha Phi Omega, an architecture service fraternity. It was finished in 1955, the year Johnson graduated. The bell, originally intended to toll for winning athletic events, acquired after May 4, 1970, a more lugubrious history. It was rung several times in conjunction with events of that day. It is now part of the National Register of Historic Places for the site.

Walking Together

Walking Together

David E. Davis (1920-2002) created the iconic sculpture 'Walking Together' in 1972. It is situated near the entrance to the School of Art Building. Constructed of four upright cedar beams set at angles, a chain spans two horizontal beams. Mr. Davis and his family were Jewish immigrants to Cleveland from Rumania. He graduated from the Cleveland Institute of Art and was an internationally recognized sculptor. His works were commissioned and displayed in many national and international museums and sites. Among his many awards was the Cleveland Arts Prize in 1980.

White Hall (WTH)

White Hall
150 Terrace Drive, Kent, Ohio 44242

White Hall was named in honor of Dr. Robert I. White, President of the University from 1963-1971. It is the location of the College of Education.

  • College of Education, Health, and Human Services, Dean’s Office
  • Instructional Resource Center
  • Vacca Office of Student Services
  • Student Teaching and Field Experience Office
  • Gerald H. Read Center for International and Intercultural Education
  • Center for Innovation in Transition and Employment Office
  • Professional Development and Outreach Office
  • Administrative Affairs and Graduate Education Office
  • Research and Evaluation Bureau Office
  • Technology and Distance Education
  • Food 4 Thought Café
  • Center for Health Promotion
  • School of Foundations, Leadership, and Administration
  •     Cultural Foundations
  •     Educational Studies
  •     Education Administration
  •     Evaluation and Measurement
  •     Hospitality Management
  •     Recreation, Park and Tourism Management
  • School of Lifespan, Development, and Educational Sciences
  •     Educational Psychology
  •     Instructional Technology
  •     School Psychology
  •     Special Education
  •     Rehabilitation Counseling Center for Disability Studies
  •     Center for Innovation in Transition and Employment
  •     Counseling and Human Development Center
  •     Counseling and Human Development Services
  • School of Teaching Learning and Curriculum Studies
  •     Career and Technical Teacher Education
  •     Reading and Writing Development Center
  •     National Writing Project

Williams Hall (WMH)

Williams Hall
1175 Risman Drive Kent, Ohio 44242

Williamson Alumni Center (WAC)

Williamson Alumni Center
1200 Main Street, Kent, Ohio 44242

Kent State's Alumni Association makes its home in the Williamson Alumni Center, at the corner of Midway Drive and East Main Street. The Center, former residence of University presidents, is named after Kent State graduates, John and Helen Williamson. Through its many programs and services, the Association strives to fulfill its mission of building and sustaining lifelong relationships between alumni, students and the University. The Center, open weekdays 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., serves as a home away from home for former Kent State students. Visitors are always welcome at the refurbished century house and its spacious grounds and gardens.

WKSU-FM Broadcast Center (KBC)

WKSU-FM Broadcast Center
925 Loop Road, Kent, Ohio 44242

The Broadcast Center is the home of WKSU FM 89.7 MHz.

Women's Center (GST)

ResourceCtr
125 Midway Drive, Kent, Ohio 44242

What was once the presidential mansion's carriage house, the building was remodeled and opened in 1996 as the Women's Resource Center. The center was formed to facilitate the advancement and improvement of the educational experience and professional lives for the women students, faculty and staff on all campuses. It serves as a resource for advocacy by providing education, information, and referral programs and services. The center is dedicated to promoting dialogue and interaction with all campus constituencies concerned with the pursuit of equity and equality.

Wright Hall (WRT)

Wright
1475 Leebrick Drive, Kent, Ohio 44242

Wright Hall is the second largest student residence on campus and is part of the Tri-Towers Complex (Koonce, Leebrick & Wright Halls). Named for G. Harry Wright, chairman of the theater division of the School of Speech from 1935-1964, it is a coeducational hall with no class standing requirements.

Welcome to Kent State Maps!

Find your way around campus by using the search boxes above or by browsing the map.

© Kent State University