Acorn Alley is a complex that houses small retail shops and businesses, modeled roughly on the English Mews, at the top of East Main Street. Many of those businesses are run by Kent State graduates, employ Kent State students who learn on the job and/or cater to student customers.
Campus Building Directory
Administrative Services Building (ASB)
The Administrative Services Center is the location of several University administrative offices. University Communications and Marketing is in this building, which provides contacts and resources for the news media.
- IA Center for Gift and Estate Planning
- IA Corporate and Foundation Relations
- IS Administrative Group
- IS Office of Security and Access Management
- Mail Service
- Northeast Ohio Trade and Economic Consortium (NEOTEC)
- Office of Institutional Advancement: Central gift Programs and Central Office, Constituent Programs, Leadership Gifts
- University Communications & Marketing
Opened in 1920 under the name of Stow Aviation Field, in 1945 the terminal building was built and then in 1947, the large army surplus hangar was erected on the field. The university purchased the airport in 1943 and renamed it the Kent State University Airport. In 1966, the name of the field was changed to Andrew W. Paton Field to honor the professor who taught the university's first aerospace course in 1947.
Allerton Apartments (SFA)
The Allerton Student Family Housing complex is designed to provide students with affordable living accommodations while pursuing a degree at Kent State University. The Allerton community is composed of a diverse population thus creating a rich living and learning environment. In addition, you will also find a wide mixture of family arrangements, age groups, traditions, religions and interests. Upperclass and graduate students are eligible for the Allerton Apartments.
Allyn Hall (ARX)
Constructed in 1963, this freshman only residence hall was named for Arden L. Allyn, Dean Emeritus of the College of Business Administration, 1934–1944. Allyn Hall is located at 550 Senhauser Drive and is part of the Eastway Center Complex (comprising Allyn, Clark, Fletcher & Manchester Halls) of the Department of Residence Services.
Art Annex (ARX)
Built in 1916, originally to supply steam for campus heating and cooling, the building sits across from the Art Building, home of the School of Art. The aging steam plant was decommissioned in 2001 when the Summit Street Power Plant was completed. In 2004, the facility gained new life and purpose as the Art Annex, with labs and work space for students and faculty. The building's four floors house spacious wood and metal sculpture labs, semiprivate studios for advanced undergraduate and graduate student projects, faculty studios, a critique gallery, storage space, exhibition space and clay and plaster studios.
Art Building (ART)
The Art Building was built in 1972 and was designed by Art faculty. It houses the School of Art, including galleries to display both professional and student work. The School of Art Gallery, located on the second floor of the Art Building, presents six major exhibits a year.
Beall Hall (BEA)
Beall Hall is named for Florence Gray Beall, Professor Emeritus of English from 1933-1957. The facility houses students with class standings of sophomore and above and is located at 1475 Eastway Drive. Built in 1966, Beall and McDowell Halls comprise the Twin-Towers Complex of Residence Services. The rooms in Twin Towers are suites, with each suite consisting of two bedrooms, a shared living area and a bathroom connected with another suite.
Beck Family Gardens (BG)
The Beck Family Gardens are located in the 'Behind the Brain' Plaza on the east side of Merrill Hall. This perennial garden was designed and planted by University Horticulturalist Mike Norman. The Beck Family decided they would set up a foundation account to support the upkeep and maintenance of this beautiful setting. The gardens contain many varieties of perennial plants and shrubs accentuated by mature trees existing from the original plaza.
Bowman Hall (BOW)
Bowman Hall was named after George A. Bowman, President of the University from 1944 - 1966.
- Advising, Prelaw
- Bachelor of Science/Doctor of Medicine
- CAS - College of Arts and Sciences
- CAS BGS Program
- CAS Curriculum Services
- CAS Development Office
- CAS Faculty Affairs
- CAS Office of Graduate Affairs
- CAS Student Services
- CAS Undergraduate Advising
- Center for Applied Conflict Management
- Center for Public Administration and Public Policy (CPAPP)
- Columbus Program in Intergovernmental Issues
- Computer Lab
- Dean's Office - College of Arts and Sciences
- Department of History
- Department of Philosophy
- Department of Political Science
- Jewish Studies Program
- Justice Volunteer Center
- Kent State University Police Academy
- Lyman L. Lemnitzer Center for NATO and European Union Studies
- Master of Public Administration Program
- Ohio Employee Ownership Center
- Paralegal Studies
- Research in Justice Studies (RJUS)
- Washington Program in National Issues
Business Administration Building (BSA)
The Building is the location of several departments on Campus. They include: College of Business Administration, Accounting Department, Economics, Finance, Management and Information Systems and Marketing. It also houses the Brinzo Entrepreneurship Laboratory.
- Administrative Sciences
- Bridgestone Professor of International Business
- Center for Entrepreneurship and Business Innovation (CEBI)
- Center for Information Systems (CIS)
- College of Business Administration
- Department of Accounting
- Department of Economics
- Department of Finance
- Department of Management and Information Services
- Department of Marketing
- Development Office
- Financial Engineering
- Firestone Chair in Corporate Finance
- Global Management Center (GMC)
- Goodyear Executive Professorship
- Graduate School of Management
- Kent Regional Business Alliance
- Ohio Award For Excellence
- Olga A. Mural Trading Floor
- Student Research and Analysis
- The John S. Brinzo Entrepreneurial Laboratory
- Undergraduate Programs
- Western Reserve Business Center for Women
Cartwright Hall (CWH)
The Auditorium Building (also known as Cartwright Hall) was the location of the Library until 1927 and of the executive offices of the University until 1976.
- Center for Innovative Practices
- Graduate Student Orientation
- Graduate Studies
- Institute for the Study and Prevention of Violence (ISPV)
- Office of Technology Transfer and Economic Development
- Research Business Office
- Research and Safety Compliance
- Research and Sponsored Programs
- University Auditorium
Centennial Court A (CCA)
Centennial Court A is a suite style, coeducational residence hall located at 275 Midway Drive. Each student room is carpeted, air conditioned and has a semi-private bath. The facility houses students with class standings of freshman and above and opened for fall semester 2002.
Centennial Court B (CCB)
Centennial Court B is a suite style, coeducational residence hall located at 325 Midway Drive. Each student room is carpeted, air conditioned and has a semi-private bath. The facility houses students with class standings of freshman and above and opened for fall semester 2002.
Centennial Court C (CCC)
Centennial Court C is a single student, semi-suite style, coeducational residence hall located at 1300 Chiarucci Drive. Each student room is carpeted, air conditioned and has a semi-private bath. The facility houses students with class standings of junior and above and opened for fall semester 2003.
Centennial Court D (CCD)
Centennial Court C is a single student, semi-suite style, coeducational residence hall located at 1300 Chiarucci Drive. Each student room is carpeted, air conditioned and has a semi-private bath. The facility houses students with class standings of junior and above and opened for fall semester 2003.
Centennial Court E (CCE)
Centennial Court D is a suite style, coeducational residence hall located at 1350 Chiarucci Drive. Each student room is carpeted, air conditioned and has a semi-private bath. The facility houses students with class standings of sophomore and above and opened for fall semester 2004.
Centennial Court F (CCF)
Centennial Court F is a suite style, coeducational residence hall located at 1450 Chiarucci Drive. Each student room is carpeted, air conditioned and has a semi-private bath. The facility houses students with class standings of sophomore and above and opened for fall semester 2003.
Centennial Research Park (CRP)
Constructed in 1991 for the former Campus Bus Service and acquired by the university in 1997, the facility provides space and support for specialized companies to thrive and grow near the university and its other partners. The 41,000-square-foot research park will house two high-tech start-up companies that have their roots in liquid crystal research activities launched at Kent State. The anchor tenant will be the FLEXMatters Accelerator, a broad, public-private high-technology collaboration, designed to produce a new generation of advanced materials and promote regional economic development.
The facility will also provide Kent State graduate and undergraduate students opportunities for research, internships and employment; faculty researchers from the Liquid Crystal Institute and other disciplines will be available for collaborative projects; and the university has entrepreneurial assets available to aid business growth through its centers that specialize in technology transfer, small business development, business innovation and minority-owned businesses.
Ceramics Laboratory (CRL)
The Ceramics Laboratory was built in 1945 and was originally an athletes dormitory (what is now the Student Center parking lot was the football field then). For a while it was used for physiology research. It was enlarged in 1980 and kilns were added for its present use.
Child Development Center (CDC)
The Child Development Center was constructed in 1991. The Child Development Center is a laboratory preschool operating in collaboration with the College of Education's nationally recognized program in early childhood education. The CDC provides day care for nearly 200 area preschoolers and also provides training and research opportunities for students majoring in early childhood education.
Clark Hall (CLK)
Constructed in 1963, this freshman only residence hall was named for Raymond M. Clark, Professor of Psychology and Interim President, 1943-1944. Clark Hall is located at 1450 Petrarca Drive and is part of the Eastway Center Complex (comprising Allyn, Clark, Fletcher & Manchester Halls) of the Department of Residence Services.
Cunningham Hall (CHH)
DeWeese Health Center (DHC)
The DeWeese Health Center is the home of the Campus Health Center, designed to help students with problems related to their physical and emotional health. It was constructed in 1969 and offers medical and psychological services to students. It was named for A. O. DeWeese, University Physician from 1924 until 1958.
Dix Stadium (DIX)
The 22,000-seat Dix Stadium is home to the Division I-A Golden Flash football team. The stadium is also available for high school football games, intramurals, concerts and other special events and is adjacent to the Field House.
- Athletic Equipment Room
- Athletic Training
Dunbar Hall (DUN)
Located in the New Front Area of campus, Dunbar Hall is a three story, open class standing student residence. Its mailing address is 225 Midway Drive. It was named for Margaret Dunbar, University Librarian from 1913-1943.
East Campus Chilled Water Plant
Eastway Center (EWC)
Allyn, Clark, Fletcher and Manchester Halls make up Eastway Center and are student residence halls. The complex also houses two dining facilities, Eastway Café on the upper level and Eastway Deli on the lower level. The deli provides a market where students can buy convenience store items, fresh fruit, meats and cheeses with their dining plans.
Engagement with Color
Korean-born Mikyoung Kim, is an internationally known landscape architect and professor at the Rhode Island School of Design. The sculpture shows the vibrant conditions found in the cross-polarized images of liquid crystals by the use of various colors of fiber optic light within the structure. The sculpture and its environment of color are places for direct engagement and contemplation. The work is placed appropriately, in proximity to the Liquid Crystal Materials Science Building. It is on the Esplanade Path Sculpture Walk and funded by the Ohio Percent for Art Project.
Engleman Hall (ENG)
Engleman Hall was the third residence hall built on the Kent Campus. It was named for James O. Engleman, President of the University from 1928-1937. Engleman Hall is comprised of furnished apartments with either one or four bedrooms. It is located at 175 Terrace Drive.
Eye to Eye
The sculpture, installed in 2010, consists of two large welded aluminum heads facing each other with thought bubbles stemming from their heads. The sculptor, Barry Gunderson, a Professor of Art at Kenyon College, said he was inspired by what psychologists do. He also said the arrangement of the two heads is supposed to raise the question: 'Who is the analyst and who is the subject?' He explained further: 'Every public art piece I do, I try to find some relation to the site so it’s not just being plopped into place,' Gunderson said in this case, psychology, 'where researchers are exploring what goes on in individuals' minds,' was his influence. He added, 'the subject is also trying to figure out what is going on in the researcher’s mind.' 'Eye to Eye' is located on the university’s Esplanade Path Sculpture Walk.
Fallen Students Memorial
On the first anniversary of May 4, a small group stood in prayer and dedicated a cast aluminum plaque to the memory of Allison Krause, Jeffrey Miller, Sandra Scheuer, and William Schroeder. This marker, which had been financed by and cast under the direction of B'nai B'rith Hillel, lay unanchored at the foot of a tree in the parking lot adjacent to Prentice Hall until it disappeared on the evening of May 3, 1974.
In February 1975, a faculty committee collected contributions for a new marker which was dedicated on May 3, 1975. For 15 years this granite stone served as a focal point of May 4 memorial observances on the Kent campus. Every year on the evening of May 3, it marks the end of the candlelight procession that weaves its way around the campus starting at the Victory Bell and ending at this marker where participants leave the remains of their lit candles in remembrance.
As a result of a request from the May 4 Task Force Student Organization, memorials stand in the locations where four students were killed during the May 4 shootings in the Prentice Hall parking lot. Six black bollards surmounted with torch lights mark the spots where each of the four Kent State University students were shot by Ohio National Guardsmen on May 4, 1970. Each memorial contains a granite cornerstone with an engraving of the student’s name, Allison Krause, Jeffrey Miller, Sandra Scheuer and William Schroeder and the date May 4, 1970.
Field House (FLD)
Built in 1989 for use by Intercollegiate Athletics’ teams for training and practices, the Field House, located adjacent to Dix Stadium, includes a full-size football field, indoor track and state-of-the-art weight room. Additional green areas for intramural and extramural sports are provided as well.
- Athletics Strength and Conditioning
Fletcher Hall (FLR)
Constructed in 1963, this freshman only residence hall was named for Mona Fletcher, Professor Emeritus of Political Science, 1924-1963. Fletcher Hall, located at 1350 Petrarca Drive, is part of the Eastway Center Complex (comprising Allyn, Clark, Fletcher & Manchester Halls) of the Department of Residence Services.
Foundation and Development (FDB)
Built in 1972, and acquired by the university in 1998, the Foundation and Development Building houses the offices of Institutional Advancement and the Kent State University Foundation. Raising private funds and building partnerships are key to sustaining Kent State's mission of teaching, research and outreach. Advancement professionals help to link alumni and friends to a variety of worthwhile initiatives. The Kent State University Foundation is a not-for-profit entity that receives monies on behalf of the university, manages and invests those funds, and administers them in accordance with donor wishes. While serving only Kent State, the foundation is legally separate from it.
Franklin Hall (FRH)
Franklin Hall was the location of University school until 1956. It was originally named for William A. Cluff, secretary of the Board of Trustees, and renamed in 1956 after Franklin Mills, the original name of the City of Kent. After nearly two years of extensive renovation, the structure re-opened in the fall of 2007 and was transformed into a state-of-the-art center for multi-media education, research and outreach. Franklin Hall rehabilitation marks the last phase of major projects to restore the historic front campus to its former splendor in time for the university's centennial in 2010.
- Advising, Journalism and Mass Communication
- Artemis Magazine
- Black Squirrel Radio
- Burr Magazine
- Center for Scholastic Journalism
- Daily Kent Stater
- Fusion Magazine
- JMC Equipment Services Lab
- Luna Negra Magazine
- Media Law Center for Ethics and Access (MLC)
- School of Journalism and Mass Communication
- Uhuru Magazine
Golf Course and Club House (CBH)
The Kent State University Golf Course, located just two miles east of campus, offers students, alumni and the public some of the best and most affordable greens in Northeast Ohio.
- Golf Course
Gym Annex (ANX)
Added to the Memorial Gym (now M.A.C. Center) in 1977, the Gym Annex houses the School of Exercise, Leisure and Sport. The College of Architecture and Environmental Design facilities in the Gym Annex include 3rd- and 4th-year and graduate architecture design studios and also the interior design studios.
- School of Exercise, Leisure and Sport
- The College of Architecture and Environmental Design
- Interior Design
- Athletic Training
- Sports Administration
- Sport Studies
- Physical Education / Teacher Education
Harbourt Hall (HAR)
Heer Hall (HRH)
Dedicated in 1967, this one-time residence hall was named for Amos L. Heer, professor emeritus of education, 1937-1956. This hall is temporarily closed.
Henderson Hall (HDN)
Ice Arena (ICA)
The Ice Arena was built in 1970 and contains two ice rinks, one used mostly for recreational skating and one for hockey and figure skating. A double Ice Arena provides recreational skating, club sports and lessons.
Ice Arena Lot
Non-permit holders may purchase a 3-hour temporary permit for $.50, which is available at one of the two yellow permit dispensers located outside the arena. Permits are not required from 6 p.m. Friday through 11 p.m. Sunday.
Johnson Hall (JHN)
Named for John T. Johnson, Professor of Agriculture and Photography, 1921-1951, Johnson Hall is an honors only student residence. Originally constructed in 1956, the prior structure was demolished and the current state-of-the-art facility opened for fall semester 2006. The building is located at 325 Janik Drive.
Kent Hall (KTH)
Kent Hall was named for William S. Kent, the donor of the land for the original campus. Kent Hall houses the Department of Psychology, the Psychological Clinic, and the Applied Psychology Center, as well as classrooms. Recently, Kent Hall underwent numerous renovations, resulting in the establishment of the Kent Hall Addition, which is located to the rear of Kent Hall and houses additional classroom facilities and faculty offices.
KENT, spelled out in concrete letters on front campus behind Rockwell Hall
Kent State Hotel and Conference Center
The culmination of years of planning and collaboration between Alumni, University Officials and the Kent State Foundation, Kent State University Hotel and Conference Center provides the finest in accommodations, superb dining, libations and meeting facilities all adjacent to the Kent State Campus.
Our fully-integrated facility offers the utmost in hospitality for faculty, alumni, students and their families, and of course, visitors to the charming community of Kent. Perfectly situated in the heart of the city, we’re just a short stroll from bars, restaurants, shops and galleries…all that Kent has to offer.
- Kent State Hotel
- Kent State Conference Center
Kent State University Museum Visitor Lot
Visitor parking spaces are located adjacent to the building in the R1 Rockwell parking lot. Visitors must register their vehicle license plate number and sign the visitor's log upon entrance to the museum.
Kent Student Center (STC)
The Kent Student Center and Risman Plaza which spans more than six and one-half acres, provides facilities for meetings and special events of all kinds, offices for student clubs and organizations, campus services such as the bookstore, informal recreational facilities, fast food and fine dining. The beautiful Judith Beyer Murin Memorial Gardens, the Riley Alumni Gardens and the Herrick Gardens, all adjacent to the Risman Plaza (Kent Student Center), provide campus beauty and serve as an outdoor laboratory for botanical study.
- All Campus Programming Board (ACPB)
- Banquet Sales
- Basket Shoppe (Gift Baskets) - Dining Services
- Center for Student Involvement
- Community Service, Learning and Volunteerism
- Computer Lab
- Enrollment Management and Student Affairs
- Hub (Food Court) - Dining Location
- Jazzman's Cyber Café - Dining Location
- Kent Markets - Dining Location
- Multicultural Center
- Panhellenic Council
- Pete's Arena - Dining Location
- Schwebel Garden Room
- Student Affairs
- Ticket Office
- University Scheduling and Conference Event Planning
The Kiva auditorium is part of the student center. It has theatre seating for 410 people. Room features include phone, wireless internet, video computer projector with laptop & DVD player, microphone’s both wired and wireless at an additional charge.
Koonce Hall (KOO)
Koonce Hall is the largest student residence on campus and is part of the Tri-Towers Complex (Koonce, Leebrick & Wright Halls). Named for Judith E. Koonce, it is the only hall named after a Kent State student. It is a coeducational hall with no class standing restrictions.
Korb Hall (KOR)
Korb Hall, at 1425 Petrarca Drive, functions both as Residence Services Administration as well as a freshman-only student residence. It was constructed in 1964 and is named for Otto J. Korb, former University Trustee.
The Kent State University Arch was originally located near the now demolished Terrace Residential Hall. It spanned the entrance to the Campus at Midway Drive off of East Main Street. A gift from the class of 1956, it served for many years as a gateway to the campus's post World War II eastward expansion. It was removed and renovated prior to the rebuilding and opening in 2006 of the Honors College, Stopher-Johnson Halls. Its present location, at the entrance to the Honor’s College parking lot, spans Janik Drive. It is directly between Bowman Hall and the Business Administration Building.
Lake Hall (LKO)
Lake Hall is a four story student residence located at 500 Williams Drive. It houses primarily undergraduate students in a double room configuration. The building was named for Charles H. Lake, a former University trustee.
Leebrick Hall (LEE)
At twelve stories. Leebrick Hall is the tallest student residence on campus and is part of the Tri-Towers Complex (Koonce, Leebrick & Wright Halls). It is located at 1575 Leebrick Drive and is named for Karl Clayton Leebrick, Kent State President from 1938-1943. The building is made up completely of single rooms.
The Leppo Garden is located at Williamson Alumni Center. It is a gift from the Leppo family.
The library contains more than 1.8 million volumes and more than 8,236 current serials subscriptions, including government documents. There are more than two-thousand seats at tables and carrels and in classrooms that can be used for research and study.
- Academic Quality Improvement Program
- Audiovisual Services
- Board of Trustees
- Campus Copy Connection
- Center for Conrad Studies
- Center for the Study of Librarianship
- Classroom and Instructional Systems Design
- Classroom Technologies (Classroom Services)
- Commencement/University Ceremonies
- Copyright Clearance Services
- Curriculum Services
- Design Solutions
- Executive Offices
- General Counsel
- Government Relations
- Information Architecture and Knowledge Management
- Institute for Library and Information Literacy Education (ILILE)
- Institutional Advancement
- Instructional Services
- IS Helpdesk
- IS Network and Telcomm Services
- IS Operations
- IS Server Support
- Jazzman's Coffee Cart - Dining Location
- LMS Systems
- Media Services
- Office of the Provost
- P.A. Service and AV Equipment Repair
- Photocopy Services
- President's Office
- Regional Campuses
- Scanning Services (Scantron)
- School of Library and Information Science
- Special Collections and Archives
- Student Multimedia Studio
- The Kent State University Press
- University Conference Bureau
- University Information Systems
- University Libraries
- Vice President for Administration, Office of the
- Vice President for Diversity, Equity and Inclusion, Office of the
- Vice President for Enrollment Management and Student Affairs
- Vice President for Human Resources, Office of the
- Vice President for Information Services
- Vice President for Institutional Advancement, Office of the
- Vice President for University Relations, Office of the
- Writing Commons
Lilac Lane is behind Ritchie and Engleman halls.
Lincoln Building (LNB)
- Center of Pan-African Culture (CPAC)
- Umbaji Art Gallery
Liquid Crystals Materials Science Building (LCM)
The Glenn H. Brown Liquid Crystal Institute (LCI) is the nation's premier academic center devoted to liquid crystal research. Scientists in the LCI conduct basic and applied research on liquid crystals and liquid crystal polymers. The LCI also houses the Chemical Physics Interdisciplinary Program, a graduate program leading to a M.S. or Ph.D. degree in liquid crystals with four areas of concentration.
Lowry Hall (LRH)
Manchester Hall (MAN)
Constructed in 1963, this student residence hall was named for Raymond E. Manchester, Professor of Psychology and Interim President, 1943-1944. Manchester Hall, located at 1450 Eastway Drive, is part of the Eastway Center Complex (Allyn, Clark, Fletcher & Manchester halls) of the Department of Residence Services.
Mathematics and Computer Science Building (MSB)
May 4 Memorial
The May 4 Memorial is located on a two-and-one-half acre wooded site overlooking the Commons. Under President Michael Schwartz's leadership, the May 4th memorial was planned. The National Endowment for the Arts funded partially, a grant for a nationwide design competition. Although a Canadian won first place, he was disqualified because of his nationality. Bruno Ast, a Chicago architect, was the first runner-up and received the commission. Because of the limited private funding available for the memorial's execution, Ast was required to scale back his original plan. It was dedicated May 4, 1970. The memorial has a number of formally integrated components. A granite plaza, measuring 70 feet wide, rests on the crest of the wooded hillside adjacent to Taylor Hall overlooking the Commons. Bound by a granite sidewalk and bench to the east; to the north, a series of four black granite disks lead from the plaza into the wooded area where four free-standing pylons are aligned on the hill. The serene memorial built in the natural setting of the hillside commemorates the events of May 4, 1970, when four students were killed and nine were wounded during an antiwar protest on the Kent State University campus. Engraved on a plaque near the sidewalk north of the memorial are the names of the four students killed and nine wounded on May 4, 1970. The plaque reads, 'In loving memory of: Allison Krause, Jeffrey Miller, Sandra Scheuer, and William Schroeder. Respectfully remembered: Alan Canfora, John Cleary, Thomas Grace, Dean Kahler, Joseph Lewis, Donald McKenzie, James Russell, Robert Stamps and Douglas Wrentmore.'
Engraved in the stone floor where visitors step onto the plaza are the words 'Inquire, Learn, Reflect.'
McDowell Hall (MCD)
McDowell Hall is named for John McDowell, University Trustee from 1911–1922 and Secretary for the first Board of Trustees. The facility houses students with class standings of sophomore and above and it located at 1500 Petrarca Drive. Built in 1966, McDowell and Beall Halls comprise the Twin-Towers Complex of Residence Services. The rooms in Twin-Towers are suites, with each suite consisting of two bedrooms, a shared living area, and a bathroom connected with another suite.
McGilvrey Hall (MCG)
Memorial Athletic and Convocation Center (MAC)
The Memorial Athletic and Convocation Center was originally constructed in 1950, when it was known simply as Memorial Gym. The building underwent major renovation in 1992, when its name was modified. It was named in honor of the Americans who died in World War II. Kent State's MAC Center is home to men's and women's basketball, women's gymnastics, volleyball and wrestling.
Merrill Hall (MLH)
Merrill Hall was originally constructed in 1912 and was named for Frank Merrill, one of the first home trustees. Merrill Hall is the oldest permanent structure on the Kent Campus, and is the first academic building. In its long history, it has undergone repeated minor changes to adapt it for a continual succession of widely varied academic and administrative uses. The building was extensively altered in 1931, 1969, and 1994.
Moulton Hall (MOU)
Rededicated in 1998, the Moulton Hall Learning Technologies Center houses the university’s technological resources and links the university’s eight campuses, communities and corporations nationwide. The center provides an interactive, high-performance learning environment to help faculty and students make skillful use of information technologies. Moulton Hall was named after Edwin F. Moulton, the first president of the Board of Trustees. Moulton was one of Kent's original residence halls.
- Academic Quality Improvement Program
- Advising, College of Communication and Information
- AT&T Classroom
- College of Communication and Information
- Distributed Learning Contract Services
- Institute for CyberInformation (ICI)
- Institute of Social and Cultural Informatics (ISCI)
- IS Educational Technology and Distance Learning
- IS End User Support and Business Services
- Ohio Learning Network
- Research Center for Educational Technology (RCET)
- The Journal of the Research Center for Educational Technology
- University Teaching Council
Murphy-Mellis Field (MMF)
Murphy-Mellis Field is located behind Dix Stadium and is home to the Kent State Golden Flashes Field Hockey team.
Music and Speech Center (MSP)
The Kent State community enjoys high-quality musical performances in the Ludwig Recital Hall, located in the Hugh A. Glauser School of Music, as well as outstanding theatrical and dance performances in the E. Turner Stump Theatre and the Wright-Curtis Theatre, located in the School of Theatre and Dance. These facilities are housed in the Music and Speech Center.
Nixson Hall (NXH)
Nixson Hall was named for Bertha L. Nixson, Professor of Home Economics from 1915-1945.
- School of Health Sciences
- English Language Proficiency Clinic
- Health Education
- Nutrition and Dietetics
- Nutrition Outreach Center
- Speech and Hearing Clinic
- Human Development Center
- Human Development and Family Studies
- International Institute for Human Service Workforce Research and Development
In November 1997, a robotic 12-inch telescope was put into service at the Observatory, jointly sponsored and operated for public viewing by the Department of Physics and a NASA-funded project in the College of Education. The KSU/NASA observatory is normally open for public observing on Friday evenings (weather permitting) beginning about one-half hour after sunset and lasting until about 10:30 pm. The observatory is staffed by Kent State University students who will show you the wonders of the night sky.
Olson Hall (OLS)
Olson Hall is a four story student residence located at 875 University Esplanade. It houses primarily undergraduate students in a double room configuration. Olson was named after David Olson, Professor of Geography 1913-1951.
Prentice Hall is named for May H. Prentice, the first female faculty member and was dedicated in 1959.
Rec Center Parking Lot
Non-permit holders may purchase a 3-hour temporary permit for $1.00 from the dispenser located in the lot outside the SRWC. Permits are not required from 6 p.m. Friday through 11 p.m. Sunday.
Ritchie Hall (ORH)
- Fashion Museum
Satterfield Hall (SFH)
Satterfield Hall was named for Chester E. Satterfield, former Professor of English.
Schoonover Stadium (VBF)
This varsity baseball stadium is known as Schoonover Stadium in honor Harold (Hal) '49 and Julia Schoonover of Akron, who have been avid supporters of Kent State for more than 50 years.
Schwartz Center (MSC)
The Schwartz Center was named in honor of the former University President, Dr. Michael Schwartz. It was the former location of University School, and currently houses many of the University's administrative offices.
- Academic Success Center
- Academic Testing Services
- Accounts Payable
- Admissions Office
- Business Administrator Services Forum
- Business Information Support Services
- Career Services Center
- Center for Adult and Veteran Services
- Controller's Office
- Dual Enrollment Programs (Postsecondary Enrollment Options Program)
- Evening and Weekend Programs
- Financial Accounting Services
- Financial Affairs
- Financial Aid
- Gerontology Center
- Internal Audit
- Intramural Fitness Center I
- Learning Development Program
- Michael Schwartz Center Snack Shop - Dining Location
- Office of Continuing and Distance Education
- On-Campus Recruiting
- Parking Services
- Payroll (Financial Accounting Services)
- Regional Campuses / Business Services
- Regional Corporate and Community Services
- Senior Citizens Programs
- Student Employment
- Transfer Center
- Treasury, Tax and Risk Management
- University Auditing
- University Budget Office
- Upward Bound Program
Science Research Building (SRB)
Smith Hall (SMH)
Don Drumm, a fine arts graduate of Kent State University and a well known Akron-based sculptor, created the abstract piece of Corten steel. It was done in 1967, the year Taylor Hall was dedicated. The building at the time housed the Schools of Architecture and Journalism. After May 4th, it inadvertently became another point of contention: a bullet penetrated the metal, leaving a hole. The puncture in the steel is visible. Often candles and chalk writings are temporarily integrated into the sculpture's planar configuration. Located in front of Taylor Hall, it is a part of the National Register of Historic Landmark; it generates interest and discussion by visitors to the site.
'Spiral Growth' was completed in 2003 by Minnesota sculptor Janet Lofquist. Situated in the Riley Gardens, behind the biology building, Cunningham Hall, the organic form of the sculpture consists of light colored irregularly shaped Fond du lac stones set at different heights. Lofquist has made use of a spiral, a dynamic natural form to express growth. Accompanying the sculpture is a stylized leaf, which serves as an adjacent bench for seating. The work was commissioned by the Ohio Arts Council.
'Starsphere 2010,' a 5000-pound stainless-steel sculpture created by Susan Ewing of Oxford, Ohio is located at the north end of Franklin Hall, near the School of Journalism and Mass Communication. Professor Ewing is on the faculty of Miami University and the recipient of many international awards and commissions. Her work, on the Kent State University Campus, was fabricated by John Bridges of Shadetree Machine in Madison Township, Ohio. Its star-like forms relate, as Ewing stated in an internet article for The Oxford Press, '...as a very abstract way to think about freedoms.' The events of May 4 and the aftermath have served as a point of departure for artists like Susan Ewing. She commented: 'I hope that it's a piece that stays in people’s minds...And they can think of intangible ideas like freedoms in the First Amendment.' 'Starsphere 2010' was funded by the Ohio Arts Council Percent for Arts program. It is also on the university's Esplanade Path Sculpture Walk. Professor Ewing is the recipient of numerous awards and her work has been widely exhibited and resides in many art collections and on sites.
Stewart Hall (STH)
Stockdale Building (STB)
Stockdale Hall is the location of the Kent State Department of Public Safety, which includes Police Services and Fire Safety Services. It was named for Robert Stockdale, one-time faculty member, and later a state senator.
Stopher Hall (STO)
Named for Emmett C. Stopher, University Registrar from 1927-1954, the newly renovated Stopher Hall houses students of all class standings. Originally constructed in 1956, the prior structure was demolished and the current state of the art facility opened for fall semester 2006. The building is located at 375 Janik Drive. The Area Desk for the Quad complex (Johnson, Lake, Olson & Stopher Halls) is located on the first floor.
- Advanced Placement Program (College Board)
- LLC - Honors College
- Stopher Hall - Residence Hall
Student Center Visitor Lot
PLEASE NOTE: This lot will be closed throughout the summer and reopen for the Fall 2012 semester. The Student Center Visitor Lot costs $6/day max per visit. No charge after 6 p.m. Friday and on weekends.
Student Recreation and Wellness Center (SRC)
Taylor Hall (TLH)
Taylor Hall was named for William Taylor, former Professor of Journalism.
- CAED Advancement
- CAED International Studies
- College of Architecture and Environmental Design
- College of Communication and Information
- College of the Arts
- College of the Arts - Development
- College of the Arts - Office of Advising and Academic Services
- Dean's Office - College of Architecture and Environmental Design
- Interior Design
- School of Communication Studies
- Urban Studies and Architecture Library
Terrace Hall Annex (TER)
Terrace Hall is the location of the Personnel Office, Staff Benefits Office and ROTC.
- Aerospace Studies Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corp (AFROTC)
- Employee Relations
- Employment and Compensation
- Equal Opportunity and Affirmative Action
- Human Resources Services and Solutions
- Human Resources: Records
- Labor Relations
- Military Science/Army Reserve Office Training Corps (ROTC)
- Talent Acquisition
- Training and Development
The Kent Four
In 1971, School of Art faculty member Alastair Granville-Jackson created 'The Kent Four' sculpture. It was one of the first art memorials to commemorate the four students who died on May 4, 1970. The four hollow arms of the orange metal sculpture were intended to project live flames. About his work, Professor Granville-Jackson said: 'After considering the manner of death, four rifle barrels, I took these symbols of destruction and turned them into four new emblems for the viewer to ponder.'
the light that can be heard
Olga Ziemska, a Polish-American artist from Cleveland, created the wall sculptures, 'the light that can be heard...' The work was inspired by the northern lights. Located in the lobby of the Roe Green Center for the School of Theatre and Dance, the sculptures are a dramatic focal point and icon for the Performing Arts and Music programs and building. It opened in 2010, having been renovated with funds provided by Roe Green. The medium of the work is unusual. It is a series of life size figures in motion set against the lobby wall and assembled with approximately 18,000 acrylic disks embed with photographs of student performances.
The Limits of Spoken Language: Congeries
Jarrett Hawkins of Deer Park, Ohio created the imposing Corten steel sculpture 'The Limits of Spoken Language: Congeries.' The sculpture, with its massive vertical forms, some in motion and others more static, was installed in 2010 as part of the renovated Risman Plaza project and is located on a raised area in front of the Main Library. The project received funding from the Ohio Percent for Arts Project and is one of several sculptures on the university’s Esplanade Path Walk.
The first artist chosen for the Esplanade Sculpture Walk is Ohio sculptor Giancarlo Calicchia. Born in Italy, Calicchia was formally trained in sculpture at Syracuse University, the University of Rome, the Academy of Fine Arts in Rome, and the Academy of Fine Arts in San Miguel de Allende in Mexico. He has created more than 2,000 sculptures and paintings during his career. His work for the Sculpture Walk forms a series called 'The Witnesses.' The carvings are of granite, of which the most prominent is titled 'Athleta.' It is surrounded by other pieces, smaller in scale, also named by the artist. The work is located on a hilly site between Terrace Drive and Kent Hall. For the project, Calicchia excavated granite monoliths, some extending as far as12 feet under the ground, from his vineyard and surrounding farm in Lake County's Madison Township area.
Twin Towers Center (BEA)
Erected in 1966, McDowell and Beall Halls comprise the Twin-Towers Complex of the Department Residence Services. The rooms in Twin-Towers are suites, with each suite consisting of two bedrooms, a living area and a bathroom shared with another suite. The information desk for this area of campus is also within this structure.
University Facilities Management (UFM)
- Building Automation and Communications Center (BACC)
- Building Maintenance and Repair
- Business and Supply
- University Facilities Management
- Custodial Services
- Energy Management
- Fleet Services
- Hazardous Waste
- HVAC, Preventive and Zone Maintenance
- Occupational Health and Safety
- Receiving and Distribution
- Steam and Plumbing
- Waste Management - Refuse
Van Campen Hall (VNC)
Van Deusen Hall (VDN)
Verder Hall (VER)
Verder Hall is a coeducational student residence hall at 150 Midway Drive. Students of all class standings are eligible to live there and it has a large computer cluster with studio space for art students. It was named for Blanche A. Verder, Dean of Women from 1922-1942.
The Victory Bell is located behind Taylor Hall in an open grassy space known as the 'Commons.' The locomotive bell was donated by the Erie Railroad. In 1950 the university’s president George A. Bowman designated it for the Commons. Architecture student Arvid Johnson designed a structure of tan brick and sandstone to house the bell. It was constructed with funds raised by Alpha Phi Omega, an architecture service fraternity. It was finished in 1955, the year Johnson graduated. The bell, originally intended to toll for winning athletic events, acquired after May 4, 1970, a more lugubrious history. It was rung several times in conjunction with events of that day. It is now part of the National Register of Historic Places for the site.
David E. Davis (1920-2002) created the iconic sculpture 'Walking Together' in 1972. It is situated near the entrance to the School of Art Building. Constructed of four upright cedar beams set at angles, a chain spans two horizontal beams. Mr. Davis and his family were Jewish immigrants to Cleveland from Rumania. He graduated from the Cleveland Institute of Art and was an internationally recognized sculptor. His works were commissioned and displayed in many national and international museums and sites. Among his many awards was the Cleveland Arts Prize in 1980.
White Hall (WTH)
White Hall was named in honor of Dr. Robert I. White, President of the University from 1963-1971. It is the location of the College of Education.
- College of Education, Health, and Human Services, Dean’s Office
- Instructional Resource Center
- Vacca Office of Student Services
- Student Teaching and Field Experience Office
- Gerald H. Read Center for International and Intercultural Education
- Center for Innovation in Transition and Employment Office
- Professional Development and Outreach Office
- Administrative Affairs and Graduate Education Office
- Research and Evaluation Bureau Office
- Technology and Distance Education
- Food 4 Thought Café
- Center for Health Promotion
- School of Foundations, Leadership, and Administration
- Cultural Foundations
- Educational Studies
- Education Administration
- Evaluation and Measurement
- Hospitality Management
- Recreation, Park and Tourism Management
- School of Lifespan, Development, and Educational Sciences
- Educational Psychology
- Instructional Technology
- School Psychology
- Special Education
- Rehabilitation Counseling Center for Disability Studies
- Center for Innovation in Transition and Employment
- Counseling and Human Development Center
- Counseling and Human Development Services
- School of Teaching Learning and Curriculum Studies
- Career and Technical Teacher Education
- Reading and Writing Development Center
- National Writing Project
Williams Hall (WMH)
Williamson Alumni Center (WAC)
Kent State's Alumni Association makes its home in the Williamson Alumni Center, at the corner of Midway Drive and East Main Street. The Center, former residence of University presidents, is named after Kent State graduates, John and Helen Williamson. Through its many programs and services, the Association strives to fulfill its mission of building and sustaining lifelong relationships between alumni, students and the University. The Center, open weekdays 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., serves as a home away from home for former Kent State students. Visitors are always welcome at the refurbished century house and its spacious grounds and gardens.
WKSU-FM Broadcast Center (KBC)
The Broadcast Center is the home of WKSU FM 89.7 MHz.
Women's Center (GST)
What was once the presidential mansion's carriage house, the building was remodeled and opened in 1996 as the Women's Resource Center. The center was formed to facilitate the advancement and improvement of the educational experience and professional lives for the women students, faculty and staff on all campuses. It serves as a resource for advocacy by providing education, information, and referral programs and services. The center is dedicated to promoting dialogue and interaction with all campus constituencies concerned with the pursuit of equity and equality.
Wright Hall (WRT)
Wright Hall is the second largest student residence on campus and is part of the Tri-Towers Complex (Koonce, Leebrick & Wright Halls). Named for G. Harry Wright, chairman of the theater division of the School of Speech from 1935-1964, it is a coeducational hall with no class standing requirements.
Welcome to Kent State Maps!
Find your way around campus by using the search boxes above or by browsing the map.
© Kent State University