Creating Your Essay
The following suggestions will assist you with writing your essay to accompany your application for graduate admission. Students may also visit the KSU Writing Commons for assistance with writing and proofing their essay.
- Free write for 10-30 minutes on each of your initial, main topics
- Review your list of main topics and supporting content
- Choose the ideas you will use, desired length, importance of ideas, and specific application instructions
- Put your ideas in a rough sequence with specific examples and/or details to help you avoid generalizations
Writing, Organizing & Editing
- Write a draft essay and don't worry too much about organization at this point
- Read your essay out loud. Are you addressing your audience? Is your message clear? Does the essay reflect your intent?
- Edit and rewrite to avoid wordiness, generalizations, passive voice and cliché
- Ensure your grammar and spelling are perfect
- Have a friend or advisor read your essay and provide feedback
- Make final revisions, have someone help you proofread carefully, and you are on your way!