1. ASSESS YOUR READINESS
- Are you confident about your career goals?
- When do you wish to complete an internship and is it required of your program?
- Do you know the basics?
» Internships can occur year round, typically last 10 - 15 weeks, and range from 10 - 30 work hours per week.
» Details about the number of hours worked, length of internship, rate of pay, and other specifics are negotiated between employers and interns.
» If registering for academic credit, contact the department internship contact for prior approval.
2. CREATE A PROFESSIONAL IMAGE
- Prepare your resume and cover letter.
- Brush up on etiquette for a professional image.
- Establish a strategic social networking presence.
- Meet with a career expert to have your resume reviewed.
3. APPLY FOR INTERNSHIPS
- Develop a network of contacts in your field of interest.
- Create your one-minute self-marketing pitch.
- Locate position openings with tips on our Job & Internship Search page.
- Follow up within a couple weeks after applying for a position to ask:
» What is the status of my application and timeline for hiring?
» Can I provide any additional materials or information?