- Career & Major Selection
- Graduate School Prep
- Internship Prep
- Job & Internship Search
- Testing (ACT, CLEP)
Services for Students and Alumni:
Career Services Center261 Schwartz Center
Job Postings & Employers
KSU Student Employment
HoursMonday - Friday
8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Call for an Appointment
Drop-In Career CounselingMonday - Friday
11 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. & 2 - 4 p.m.
Mentoring Your Intern
Outcomes of Effective Mentoring
- Contributes to employee motivation, performance, and ongoing training
- Enables new interns to acclimate more quickly to an organizational culture and become productive
- Provides encouragement for the intern to advance in their profession
- Inspires mentors to develop leadership skills and advance in their own careers
Qualities of Successful Mentors and Interns
- Utilizes strong listening skills
- Offers frequent and honest feedback,
- Works to understand the intern's strengths and weaknesses
- Focuses on the intern's professional as well as personal growth
- Displays commitment to professional as well as personal growth
- Possesses a willingness to learn
- Displays trustworthiness and objectivity
- Listens effectively, asks questions, and connects classroom knowledge with experiences
Ways to Enhance the Internship Experience
- Introduce interns to co-workers and key contacts within the organization. An official welcome will help interns feel part of the team.
- Utilize the “Buddy System.” New interns can benefit from peer mentors who can show them the ropes and supplement formal training programs designed to accelerate their productivity and sense of belonging.
- Communicate job expectations in a clear and concise manner. Encourage interns to ask questions to clarify job responsibilities.
- Facilitate the achievement of performance expectations through feedback and a formal performance appraisal.
- Assign the intern challenging tasks and projects that offer growth opportunities matched to the intern's abilities and interests.
- Provide shadowing time for interns to observe how managers manage time, people, and resources.
- Include interns in staff meetings and related professional activities when possible.
- Familiarize student interns with company rules and policies.