- Career & Major Selection
- Graduate School Prep
- Internship Prep
- Job & Internship Search
- Testing (ACT, CLEP)
Services for Students and Alumni:
Career Services Center261 Schwartz Center
Job Postings & Employers
KSU Student Employment
HoursMonday - Friday
8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Call for an Appointment
Drop-In Career CounselingMonday - Friday
11 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. & 2 - 4 p.m.
Frequently Asked Interview Questions
Overall, come prepared to discuss how your educational background, volunteer, work and internship experiences, leadership roles, and personal skills and abilities support your candidacy for the position.
First, keep in mind the skills employers seek.
According to annual surveys of employers by the National Association of Colleges and Employers, the skills listed below (in order of importance) represent those most sought by employers:
- Ability to work in a team structure
- Ability to verbally communicate with persons inside and outside the organization
- Ability to make decisions and solve problems
- Ability to obtain and process information
- Ability to plan, organize, and prioritize work
- Ability to analyze quantitative data
- Technical knowledge related to the job
- Proficiency with computer software programs
- Ability to create and/or edit written reports
- Ability to sell or influence others
- Tell me about yourself.
- What motivates you?
- What are you passionate about?
- What do you consider to be your greatest strengths and weaknesses?
- What interests do you pursue outside of work?
- How do you think a friend or professor who knows you well would describe you?
- If you could relive the past five years of your life, what would you do differently?
- Where would you like to be in five/ten years?
Preparation for Position/Organizational Fit
- What do you know about our organization?
- Why did you apply for this position?
- In what ways do you think you can make a contribution to our organization?
- What part of this job do you think you find the most challenging?
- What relevant experience do you have?
- What other positions have you applied to?
- What qualities do you think you can bring to this position?
Work Experience/Team Style
- What is the most enjoyable part of your current job?
- What would your work colleagues say about you?
- What qualities should a successful supervisor possess?
- What two or three things are most important to you in your job?
- Tell us about the biggest challenge you've ever faced in your career?
- What has irritated you about others you've worked with?
Behavior Based Questions
- Give me some examples of teamwork you've been a part of.
- Describe a challenging work situation and how you dealt with it.
- Describe a time when you had to work under intense pressure.
- Tell me about a suggestion you've made that was implemented.
- What past accomplishments have given you the most satisfaction and why.
- View additional behavior based interview questions