- Career & Major Selection
- Graduate School Prep
- Internship Prep
- Job & Internship Search
- Testing (ACT, CLEP)
Services for Students and Alumni:
Career Services Center261 Schwartz Center
Job Postings & Employers
KSU Student Employment
HoursMonday - Friday
8 a.m. - 5 p.m.
Call for an Appointment
Drop-In Career CounselingMonday - Friday
11 a.m. - 12:30 p.m. & 2 - 4 p.m.
Job & Internship Search Strategies
Refine Your Job Search
Refine your job search by answering the following questions. Be able to describe the jobs you are seeking, why you are qualified for those positions, and customize your resume accordingly.
What are my likes and dislikes?
- Take the Interest Inventory in MyPlan
- Complete the Self-Directed Search at the Career Services Center
- Take the Values Assessment in MyPlan
What am I good at?
- Take the Skills Profiler in MyPlan
- Complete the Skills exercise in Collage: A Kent State to Career Portfolio
Why do I want to pursue this career?
What is the job outlook?
What kind of life can I have with this career?
- Complete the Imagine Your Future Workday exercise in the Career Exploration section of Collage: A Kent State to Career Portfolio to understand your preferred work environment.
- Conduct an informational interview with a professional working in your chosen career
- What is your desired/minimum salary? Use the Salary Calculator to also consider the cost of living for specific geographical locations
Where do I find these jobs?
- Utilize the Experience Job & Internship Board
- Take advantage of networking strategies
- Check out the Career Services Center's Calendar of Events
- Review our favorite career/job search links
Can you answer the following questions for organizations of interest?
- Full Name of Company - (if acronym, know what it stands for)
- Is the organization public or private?
- What industry is the company in?
- What are its revenues/sales? Is it on the Fortune 500 or 1000 List?
- How many employees?
- Is the company local, regional, national, or multinational?
- What is a general description of the company? What are its chief products or services?
- Who is the company's main competitor?
- What are some recent news stories involving the organization?