Ohio Research Scholar & Associate Professor
- M.Sc. (diploma) Martin Luther University, Halle (Germany), 1996
- Ph.D. Martin Luther University, Halle (Germany), 2001
- PDF Queen's University, Kingston, ON (Canada), 2001-2003
- Associate Professor & Ohio Research Scholar in Science and Technology of Advanced Nanomaterials, Liquid Crystal Institute, Kent State, since 2011
- Interim Director Regenerative Medicine Initiative at KSU, ReMedIKS, Kent State, since 2012
- Chief Scientific Officer - Blood Brain Bio-Transport BBBt LLC, since 2011
- Adjunct Associate Professor, University of Manitoba, Department of Chemistry & Department of Pharmacology and Therapeutic, since 2011
- Manitoba Institute for Materials (MIM) - Facilities Management, 2010-2012
- Associate Professor, University of Manitoba (Canada), Chemistry, 2008-2011
- Assistant Professor, University of Manitoba (Canada), Chemistry, 2003-2008
Scholarly, Creative & Professional Activities
- Z. Sun, M. Worden, Y. Wroczynskyj, V. Yathindranath, J. van Lierop, T. Hegmann, D. W. Miller, Int. J. Nanomed. 2014, in press. “Magnetic field enhanced convective diffusion (MECD) of iron oxide nanoparticles in an osmotic disrupted cell culture model of the blood-brain barrier”
- R. K. Shukla, X. Feng, S. Umadevi, T. Hegmann, W. Haase, Chem. Phys. Lett. 2014, 599, 80-85. “Influence of different amount of functionalized bulky gold nanorods dopant on the electrooptical, dielectric and optical properties of the FLC host”
- M. Urbanski, J. Mirzaei, T. Hegmann, H.-S. Kitzerow, Proceedings 41. German Conference on Liquid Crystals 2014, P9, 105-109. “Dispersions of functionalized gold nanoparticles in nematic liquid crystals”
- J. Mirzaei, M. Urbanski, H.-S. Kitzerow, T. Hegmann, ChemPhysChem 2014, in press. “Synthesis of liquid crystal silane functionalized gold nanoparticles and their effects on optical and electro-optic properties of a structurally related nematic liquid crystal”
- M. Urbanski, J. Mirzaei, T. Hegmann, H.-S. Kitzerow, ChemPhysChem 2014, in press. “Nanoparticle doping in nematic liquid crystals: Distinction between surface and bulk effects by numerical simulations”
- S. Umadevi, H.-C. Lee, V. Ganesh, X. Feng, T. Hegmann, Liq. Cryst. 2014, in press. "A versatile, one-pot synthesis of gold nanostars with long, well-defined thorns using a lyotropic liquid crystal template"
- M. Reznikov, A. Sharma, T. Hegmann, Part. Part. Syst. Charact. 2014, 31, 257-265. "Ink-jet printed nanoparticle alignment layers: Easy design and fabrication of patterned alignment layers for nematic liquid crystals" – Inside Cover Article
- V. Yathindranath, M. Worden, Z. Sun, D. W. Miller, T. Hegmann, RSC Advances 2013, 3, 23722-23729. "A general synthesis of metal (Mn, Fe, Co, Ni, Cu, Zn) oxide and silica nanoparticles based on a low temperature reduction/hydrolysis pathway"
- V. Yathindranath, Z. Sun, M. Worden, L. J. Donald, J. A. Thliveris, D. W. Miller, T. Hegmann, Langmuir 2013, 29, 10850-10858. "One-pot synthesis of iron oxide nanoparticles with functional silane shell: A versatile general precursor for conjugations and biomedical applications"
- T. Hegmann, International Innovation Report 2013, 9, 53-55. "Modulating the properties of liquid crystals using nanoparticles as dopants" - Feature Article/Interview
- V. Yathindranath, M. Worden, V. Ganesh, M. Inokuchi, T. Hegmann, RSC Adv. 2013, 3, 9210-9213. "Highly crystalline iron/iron oxide nanosheets via liquid crystal templating"
- S. Umadevi, X. Feng, T. Hegmann, Adv. Funct. Mater. 2013, 23, 1393-1403. "Large area self-assembly of nematic liquid crystal-functionalized gold nanorods" – Frontispiece Article
- Z. Sun, V. Yathindranath, M. Worden, J. A. Thliveris, S. Chu, F. E. Parkinson, T. Hegmann, D. W. Miller, Int. J. Nanomed. 2013, 8, 961-970. "Characterization of cellular uptake and toxicity of aminosilane-coated iron oxide nanoparticles with different charge in CNS relevant cell culture models"
- D. F. Moore, V. Yathindranath, T. Hegmann, M. Pelletier, D. W. Miller, R. Schiffmann, “Directed drug convection using magnetic nanoparticles as therapeutic carriers - Meeting the challenge of specific brain pharmaco-therapeutics”, in Nanoneurosurgery and Nanoneuroscience (Taylor & Francis), 2013, Ch. 11, 147-155.
- J. Mirzaei, M. Urbanski, H.-S. Kitzerow, T. Hegmann, Phil. Trans. R. Soc. A 2013, 371, 20120256. "Hydrophobic gold nanoparticles via silane conjugation - chemically and thermally robust nanoparticles as dopants for nematic liquid crystals"
- S. Umadevi, G. Venkatchalam, T. Hegmann, “Nanoparticles as additives and building blocks for liquid crystal phases”, in Handbook of Liquid Crystals - 2nd Ed. (Wiley-VCH), 2013, Vol. 5, Ch. 16.
- J. Mirzaei, M. Reznikov, T. Hegmann, J. Mater. Chem. 2012, 22, 22350-22365. "Quantum dots as liquid crystal dopants" – Feature Article + Cover
- A. Rudzki, A. Lapanik, B. Kinkead, H. Qi, T. Hegmann, W. Haase, Soft Matter 2012, 8, 8722-8728. "Electrooptical and dielectric properties of alkylthiol-capped gold nanoparticle-ferroelectric liquid crystal nanocomposites: Influence of chain length and tethered liquid crystal functional groups"
- J. Mirzaei, R. Sawatzky, A. Sharma, M. Urbanski, K. Yu, H.-S. Kitzerow, T. Hegmann, Proc. SPIE 2012, 8279, 827983 (9 pages). "New developments in nanoparticle-liquid crystal composites: from magic-sized semiconductor nanoclusters to alignment pattern formation via nanoparticle stenciling
- O. Stamatoiu, J. Mirzaei, X. Feng, T. Hegmann, Top. Curr. Chem. 2012, 318, 331-393. “Nanoparticles in liquid crystals and liquid crystalline nanoparticles”
- A. Sharma, M. Worden, T. Hegmann, Ferroelectrics 2012, 431, 154-163. “Nanoparticle-promoted thermal stabilization of room temperature cholesteric blue phase mixtures”
- S. Umadevi, X. Feng, T. Hegmann, Ferroelectrics 2012, 431, 164-175. “Bent-core and nematic liquid crystal functionalized gold nanorods”
- U. Shivakumar, J. Mirzaei, X. Feng, A. Sharma, P. Moreira, T. Hegmann, Liq. Cryst. 2011, 38, 1495-1514. “Nanoparticles – versatile, promising yet challenging dopants for liquid crystals”
- J. Mirzaei, M. Urbanski, Kui Yu, H.-S. Kitzerow, T. Hegmann, J. Mater. Chem. 2011, 21, 12710-12716. “Nanocomposites of a nematic liquid crystal doped with magic-sized CdSe nanocrystals as nanoscale additives”
- H. Qi, T. Hegmann, Liq. Cryst. Today 2011, 20, 102-114. “Liquid crystal-gold nanoparticle composites”
- V. Yathindranath, L. Rebbough, D. F. Moore, D. W. Miller, J. van Lierop, T. Hegmann, Adv. Funct. Mater. 2011, 21, 1457-1464. “A versatile, one-step, low-temperature, reductive synthesis to bare, hydrophilic or hydrophobic magnetite nanoparticles” – Frontispiece Article
- B. Kinkead, M. Urbanski, H. Qi, H.-S. Kitzerow, T. Hegmann, Proc. SPIE 2010, 7775, 777511. “Alignment and electro-optic effects in nanoparticle-doped nematic liquid crystals”
- M. Urbanski, B. Kinkead, T. Hegmann, H.-S. Kitzerow, Liq. Cryst. 2010, 37, 1151-1156. “Director field of birefringent stripes in liquid crystal/nanoparticle dispersions” – Front Cover Article
- M. Urbanski, B. Kinkead, H. Qi, T. Hegmann, H.-S. Kitzerow, Nanoscale 2010, 2, 1118- 1121. “Electroconvection in nematic liquid crystals via nanoparticle doping” – Inside Front Cover Article
- B. Kinkead, T. Hegmann, J. Mater. Chem. 2010, 20, 448-458. “Effects of size, capping agent, and concentration of CdSe and CdTe quantum dots doped into a nematic liquid crystal on the optical and electro-optic properties of the final colloidal liquid crystal mixture” – Back Cover
- V. Yathindranath, K. Potter, C. B. Fowler, T. Hegmann, J. van Lierop, D. F. Moore, Nanotechnology 2009, 20, 405101. “Simultaneous magnetically-directed drug convection and MR imaging” – Article of Particular Interest by the Editor & Highlighted in IOP’s www.nanotechweb.org/cws/article/lab/40670
- H. Qi, T. Hegmann, ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces 2009, 1, 1731-1738. “Multiple alignment modes for nematic liquid crystals doped with alkylthiol-capped gold nanoparticles”
- H. Qi, B. Kinkead, V. M. Marx, H. R. Zhang, T. Hegmann, ChemPhysChem 2009, 10, 1211-1218. “Miscibility and alignment effects of mixed monolayer cyanobiphenyl liquid crystal-capped gold nanoparticles in nematic cyanobiphenyl liquid crystal hosts”
- T. Hegmann, H. Qi, B. Kinkead, V. M. Marx, H. Girgis, P. A. Heiney, Can. Metall. Quarterly 2009, 48, 1-9. “Functionalized metal and semiconductor nanoparticle doped liquid crystals - Modifying optical and electro-optical properties”
- H. Qi, T. Hegmann, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2008, 130, 14201-14206. “Post-synthesis racemization and place exchange reactions – one step further to understand the origin of chiral ligand-capped gold nanoparticle chirality”
- H. Qi, T. Hegmann, J. Mater. Chem. 2008, 18, 3288-3294. “Impact of nanoscale particles and carbon nanotubes on current and future generations of liquid crystal displays” – Invited Highlight & Inside Cover Article
- V. M. Marx, H. Girgis, P. A. Heiney, T. Hegmann, J. Mater. Chem. 2008, 18, 2983-2994. “Bent- core LC decorated gold nanoclusters: Synthesis, self-assembly, and effects in mixtures with bent-core LC hosts”
- H. Qi, B. Kinkead, T. Hegmann, Proc. SPIE 2008, 6911, 691106 (11 pages). “Effects of functionalized metal and semiconductor nanoparticles in nematic liquid crystals”
- H. Qi, B. Kinkead, T. Hegmann, Adv. Funct. Mater. 2008, 18, 212-221. “Unprecedented dual alignment mode and Freedericksz transition in planar nematic liquid crystal cells doped with gold nanoclusters” – Inside Cover Article
- H. Qi, J. O’Neil, T. Hegmann, J. Mater. Chem. 2008, 18, 374-380. “Chirality transfer in nematic liquid crystals doped with (S)-Naproxen functionalized gold nanoclusters: An induced circular dichroism study”
- M. P. Thompson, T. Hegmann, M. D. Wand, R. P. Lemieux, Liq. Cryst. 2007, 34, 987-994. “Ferroelectric liquid crystal dopants with a chiral (R,R)-2,3-difluorooctyloxy side chain: Host dependence of the polarization power”
- H. Qi, A. Lepp, P. A. Heiney, T. Hegmann, J. Mater. Chem. 2007, 17, 2139-2144. “Effects of hydrophilic and hydrophobic gold nanoclusters on the stability and ordering of bolaamphiphilic liquid crystals”
- T. Hegmann, H. Qi, V. Marx, J. Inorg. Organomet. Polym. & Mater. 2007, 17, 483-508. “Nanoparticles and liquid crystals: synthesis, self-assembly, defect formation and potential applications”
- K. Kaznatcheev, T. Hegmann, Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys. 2007, 9, 1705-1712. “Molecular ordering in a biaxial smectic-A phase studied by scanning transmission x-ray microscopy (STXM)” – Hot Paper & Cover Article
- H. Qi, T. Hegmann, J. Mater. Chem. 2006, 16, 4197-4205. “Formation of periodic stripe patterns in nematic liquid crystals doped with functionalized gold nanoparticles” – Cover Article
- C. Damm, G. Israel, T. Hegmann, C. Tschierske, J. Mater. Chem. 2006, 16, 1808-1816. “Luminescence and photoconductivity in mononuclear ortho-platinated metallomesogens”
- N. Sertova, M. Toulemonde, T. Hegmann, J. Inorg. Organomet. Polym. & Mater. 2006, 16, 91-96. “Towards recyclable nanoporous polymer membranes for the synthesis of one-dimensional nanoscale gold colloids”
- T. Hegmann, B. Neumann, R. Wolf, C. Tschierske, J. Mater. Chem. 2005, 15, 1025-1034. “Liquid crystalline paracyclophanes and ansa compounds – Series of polyether macrocycles incorporating diacetylene, phenyl, biphenyl, p-terphenyl and 2,5-diphenyl-1,3,4-thiadiazole rigid cores”
- T. Hegmann, M. R. Meadows, M. D. Wand, R. P. Lemieux, J. Mater. Chem. 2004, 14, 185-190. “Ferroelectric liquid crystal induced by atropisomeric biphenyl dopants: Influence of the SmC host mixture composition”
- T. Hegmann, J. Kain, S. Diele, B. Schubert, H. Bögel, C. Tschierske, J. Mater. Chem. 2003, 13, 991- 1003. “Molecular design at the calamitic/discotic cross-over point. Mononuclear ortho-metallated mesogens based on the combination of rod-like phenylpyrimidines and -pyridines with bent or half-disc-shaped diketonates”
- B. Neumann, T. Hegmann, C. Wagner, P. R. Ashton, R. Wolf, C. Tschierske, J. Mater.Chem. 2003, 13, 778-784. “Liquid crystalline macrocycles containing phenylpyrimidine units”
- T. Hegmann, R. P. Lemieux, J. Mater. Chem. 2002, 12, 3368-3370. “Large electroclinic effect in SmA* liquid crystals induced by an atropisomeric biphenyl dopant”
- T. Hegmann, J. Kain, S. Diele, G. Pelzl, C. Tschierske, Angew. Chem., Int. Ed. 2001, 40, 887-890. “Evidence for the existence of the McMillan phase in a binary system of a metallomesogen and 2,4,7- trinitrofluorenone”
- M. T. Allen, S. Diele, K. D. M. Harris, T. Hegmann, B. M. Kariuki, D. Lose, J. A. Preece, C. Tschierske, J. Mater. Chem. 2001, 11, 302-311. “Intermolecular organization of triphenylene-based discotic mesogens by interdigitation of alkyl chains”
- T. Hegmann, B. Neumann, S. Diele, C. Tschierske, J. Mater. Chem. 2000, 10, 2244-2248. “Butterfly-mesogens: Paracyclophane based macrocyclic metallomesogens forming smectic and columnar liquid crystalline phases”
- T. Hegmann, F. Peidis, S. Diele, C. Tschierske, Liq. Cryst. 2000, 27, 1261-1265. “Combination of molecular rods and half-discs: Transition from lamellar to columnar order in multichain mononuclear ortho-palladated metallomesogens”
- M. T. Allen, K. D. M. Harris, B. M. Kariuki, N. Kumari, J. A. Preece, S. Diele, D. Lose, T. Hegmann, C. Tschierske, Liq. Cryst. 2000, 27, 689-692. “Intermolecular organization of triphenylene-based discotic mesogens by interdigitation of alkyl chains”
- A. Pegenau, T. Hegmann, C. Tschierske, S. Diele, Chem.-Eur. J. 1999, 5, 1643-1660. “The importance of micro-segregation for mesophase formation: Thermotropic columnar mesophases of tetrahedral and other low-aspect-ratio organic materials”
- B. Neumann, T. Hegmann, R. Wolf, C. Tschierske, Chem. Commun. 1998, 105-106. “Binuclear cyclopalladated cyclophanes: Towards a new family of metallomesogens”
- M. Reznikov, A. Sharma, T. Hegmann, 04/15/2013, US PCT 61/853994 "Patterned liquid crystal alignment layers via nanoparticle printing".
- A. Neshat, A. Sharma, T. Hegmann, E. Hegmann, 04/15/2013, US PCT 61/853993 "Biodegradable side-chain LC elastomers: smart responsive scaffolds".
- B. Kinkead, T. Hegmann, 2012, US 8,323,755 "Planar nematic liquid crystal cells doped with gold nanoparticles and methods of inducing a Freedericksz transition".
- V. Yathindranath, D. F. Moore, J. van Lierop, T. Hegmann, 2013, US 8,383,085 "Methods of making iron containing nanoparticles".
- V. Yathindranath, T. Hegmann, J. van Lierop, D. F. Moore, 2008, US PCT 61/055,683 "Magnetically directed drug convection".
- H. Qi, T. Hegmann, 2011, US 8,071,181. "Metal nanoparticles and use thereof for inducing chirality in liquid crystal phases" (International: 12/086,720).
- H. Qi, T. Hegmann, 2012, US 8,294,838. "Planar nematic liquid crystal cells doped with gold nanoparticles and methods of inducing a Freedericksz transition".
- V. M. Marx, T. Hegmann, 2012, US 8,092,712. "Bent-core LC decorated gold nanoparticles".
- Liquid Crystals
- Drug Delivery
Department of Chemical Physics
- Liquid Crystals
- Drug Delivery
- Chemical Synthesis