- GIS | Health & Hazards Lab
- City and Community Studies Initiative
- Center for Ecology and Natural Resource Sustainability
MARCH 22 - MARCH 31
COST: $1800 (includes all transportation, entrance fees, lodging and most meals)
GEOG 40195/50195/70195 Field Study in Geography 3 credits (open to KSU and non-KSU students)
CONTACT: MANDY MUNRO-STASIUK OR KAM MANAHAN
This is a graded 3-credit course. To attend, you must sign up for the course and complete all assignments.
- Friday 22nd March: We will leave from Akron/Canton OR Cleveland airport and arrive in Cancun just before lunch time. From there we will make our way down the east coast to the picturesque site of Tulum and spend the evening in the Sian Ka’an Biosphere, the largest protected area in the Mexican Caribbean.
- Saturday 23rd March: We will spend the entire day in the Sian Ka’an Biosphere exploring the barrier beaches and lagoons, the protected plants and animals of the region, and the archaeology.
- Sunday 24th March:After breakfast we will drive to Coba. After cycling across the vast site, we will climb Nohoch Mul, the tallest Mayan pyramid on the Yucatan Peninsula. From there we will travel on to Valladolid for lunch then visit Convento de San Bernardino. We will move northwards to Hacienda Kancaba, near Espita, where we will spend an evening exploring the buildings and the cenote.
- Monday 25th March: This entire day will be spent exploring the local culture. A highlight will be preparing a traditional feast with local Yucatecans.
- Tuesday 26th March: Early in the morning we will make our way to Chichen Itza, one of the new Seven Wonders of the World, where we will spend several hours. We will then visit Ek Balam, then make our way back to Espita where you will have the opportunity to explore the town.
- Wednesday 27th March: We will start at Xuenkal, the Kent State research site, and visit several of the large monumental structures. We will travel to the north coast where we will eat seafood, see salt pens, and watch the sunset at the beach.
- Thursday 28th March: We will make our way to the beautiful colonial city of Merida. After visiting the Archaeology Museum and settling into our hotel, the rest of the evening will be your own to shop and explore.
- Friday 29th March: An early start will place us in the sprawling municipal market (Mercado) where you can find virtually anything from hardware, stoves, hammocks, rope, jewelry, vegetables and produce, meat, chicken and even live birds. We will also visit the relatively new city museum which meticulously documents the history of the city.
- Saturday 30th March: After breakfast we will make our way to the town and site of Acanceh. We will then embark on the Cenote Tour at Cuzama. We will spend our last night back at Hacienda Kancaba.
- Sunday 31st March: We will leisurely make our way back to Cancun and head back to Akron /Cleveland.