The student will ordinarily observe the following procedure in order to be eligible for the doctoral degree:
- Indicate the intention to meet specifications of the departments concerned by applying for admission. The college or independent school and the department together will determine acceptability.
- Fulfill the credit requirements of the department in which the major work is done.
- Fulfill the residence requirements (if any).
- Satisfy the language or research tool requirements of the department.
- Pass the candidacy (comprehensive) examination in the field of the major subject.
- Carry out a suitable scholarly research or creative program.
- Write a dissertation that shows high attainment and creativity.
- Successfully defend the findings of the dissertation in public before a committee of the graduate faculty.
- Have registered for a minimum of 90 semester credits beyond the bachelor’s degree, or 60 credits beyond the master’s degree (registration for thesis, dissertation and research may be included in this total).