CCI Diversity Week
Join the College of Communication and Information for the first CCI Diversity Week! We will be doing an interactive display in the Kent Student Center, a #CCIDiversity social media campaign, and a student social event!
Monday, April 24th, 2017 - Friday, April 28th, 2017
Wall of Oppression: An interactive display will be set-up in the Kent Student Center from Monday, April 24th - Thursday, April 27th from 11am-4pm. The Wall of Oppression will be a physical wall representing discrimination, racism, sexism, and other “isms” that will be built up by students, faculty, and staff. Then join us on the 3rd floor of the Library on Friday, April 28th from Noon-1pm as we come together and make pledges to fight against the oppression in our society and physically tear down the wall!
#CCIDiversity Social Media Campaign: Students, faculty, and staff will engage in a variety of diverse activities all week long and post about their experiences on social media using #CCIDiversity. This will encourage people to expand their engagement and seek out new and diverse ways to connect with others. Here are some ideas for diversity engagement:
- Attend a diverse student organization meeting
- Visit a diversity department on campus to learn about their resources and activities
- Attend a religious group gathering different than the one you would normally attend
- Visit an art exhibit or a museum dedicated to other cultures
- Plan an international or diversity movie night
- Listen to a musical tradition from a different culture
- Invite a friend over and cook traditional food
- Volunteer with an organization working for diversity and inclusion
- Learn about traditional celebrations from other cultures
- Play a sport related to a different culture (Karate, Criquet, Pétanque...)
- Practice another language with a friend or family member
- Share different posts on social media that promote diversity and inclusion
- Invite people from a different culture to share your customs
- Spread the word about diversity and inclusion to family and friends
Diversi-Palooza Social Mixer: Join us on the 1st floor of the Library on Thursday, April 27th from 11am-3pm for “Diversi-Palooza,” which will be an event for students of all backgrounds to get to know each other in a relaxed, easy-going atmosphere. There will be free food, games, and chances to interact with different student organizations, student media groups, and university departments!
Lavender Graduation builds on the university-wide commencement events as an officially-supported ceremony honoring the achievements of graduating LGBTQ+ and Ally students at Kent State University.
Friday, May 5th, 2017
5:30 - 8:00 p.m.
Kent Student Center Ballroom
Karamu Ya Wahitimu / Celebracion de los Graduados
A pre-commencement ceremony to celebrate the accomplishments of all graduating African American, Native American, and Latino/a and Hispanic undergraduate and graduate students.
Thursday, May 11th, 2017
Memorial Athletic and Convocation Center (MACC)