- M.Sc. (diploma) Martin Luther University, Halle (Germany), 1996
- Ph.D. Martin Luther University, Halle (Germany), 2001
- PDF Queen's University, Kingston, ON (Canada), 2001-2003
- Associate Professor & Ohio Research Scholar in Science and Technology of Advanced Nanomaterials, Liquid Crystal Institute, Kent State, since 2011
- Interim Director Regenerative Medicine Initiative at KSU, ReMedIKS, Kent State, since 2012
- Chief Scientific Officer - Blood Brain Bio-Transport BBBt LLC, since 2011
- Adjunct Associate Professor, University of Manitoba, Department of Chemistry & Department of Pharmacology and Therapeutic, since 2011
- Manitoba Institute for Materials (MIM) - Facilities Management, since 2010
- Associate Professor, University of Manitoba (Canada), Chemistry, 2008-2011
- Assistant Professor, University of Manitoba (Canada), Chemistry, 2003-2008
Scholarly, Creative & Professional Activities
- V. Yathindranath, M. Worden, V. Ganesh, M. Inokuchi, T. Hegmann, RSC Adv. 2013, in press. "Highly crystalline iron/iron oxide nanosheets via liquid crystal templating"
- S. Umadevi, H.-C. Lee, V. Ganesh, X. Feng, T. Hegmann, Liq. Cryst. 2013, in press. "A versatile, one-pot synthesis of gold nanostars with long, well-defined thorns using a lyotropic liquid crystal template"
- S. Umadevi, X. Feng, T. Hegmann, Adv. Funct. Mater. 2013, 23, 1393-1403. "Large area self-assembly of nematic liquid crystal-functionalized gold nanorods" – Frontispiece Article
- Z. Sun, V. Yathindranath, M. Worden, J. A. Thliveris, S. Chu, F. E. Parkinson, T. Hegmann, D. W. Miller, Int. J. Nanomed. 2013, 8, 961-970. "Characterization of cellular uptake and toxicity of aminosilane-coated iron oxide nanoparticles with different charge in CNS relevant cell culture models"
- D. F. Moore, V. Yathindranath, T. Hegmann, M. Pelletier, D. W. Miller, R. Schiffmann, “Directed drug convection using magnetic nanoparticles as therapeutic carriers - Meeting the challenge of specific brain pharmaco-therapeutics”, in Nanoneurosurgery and Nanoneuroscience (Taylor & Francis), 2013, Ch. 11, 147-155.
- J. Mirzaei, M. Urbanski, H.-S. Kitzerow, T. Hegmann, Phil. Trans. R. Soc. A 2013, 371, 20120256. "Hydrophobic gold nanoparticles via silane conjugation - chemically and thermally robust nanoparticles as dopants for nematic liquid crystals"
- S. Umadevi, G. Venkatchalam, T. Hegmann, “Nanoparticles as additives and building blocks for liquid crystal phases”, in Handbook of Liquid Crystals - 2nd Ed. (Wiley-VCH), 2013, Vol. 5, Ch. 16.
- J. Mirzaei, M. Reznikov, T. Hegmann, J. Mater. Chem. 2012, Feature Article, 22, 22350-22365. "Quantum dots as liquid crystal dopants" – Cover
- A. Rudzki, A. Lapanik, B. Kinkead, H. Qi, T. Hegmann, W. Haase, Soft Matter 2012, 8, 8722-8728. "Electrooptical and dielectric properties of alkylthiol-capped gold nanoparticle-ferroelectric liquid crystal nanocomposites: Influence of chain length and tethered liquid crystal functional groups"
- J. Mirzaei, R. Sawatzky, A. Sharma, M. Urbanski, K. Yu, H.-S. Kitzerow, T. Hegmann, Proc. SPIE 2012, 8279, 827983 (9 pages). "New developments in nanoparticle-liquid crystal composites: from magic-sized semiconductor nanoclusters to alignment pattern formation via nanoparticle stenciling
- O. Stamatoiu, J. Mirzaei, X. Feng, T. Hegmann, Top. Curr. Chem. 2012, 318, 331-393. “Nanoparticles in liquid crystals and liquid crystalline nanoparticles”
- A. Sharma, M. Worden, T. Hegmann, Ferroelectrics 2012, 431, 154-163. “Nanoparticle-promoted thermal stabilization of room temperature cholesteric blue phase mixtures”
- S. Umadevi, X. Feng, T. Hegmann, Ferroelectrics 2012, 431, 164-175. “Bent-core and nematic liquid crystal functionalized gold nanorods”
- U. Shivakumar, J. Mirzaei, X. Feng, A. Sharma, P. Moreira, T. Hegmann, Liq. Cryst. 2011, 38, 1495-1514. “Nanoparticles – versatile, promising yet challenging dopants for liquid crystals”
- J. Mirzaei, M. Urbanski, Kui Yu, H.-S. Kitzerow, T. Hegmann, J. Mater. Chem. 2011, 21, 12710-12716. “Nanocomposites of a nematic liquid crystal doped with magic-sized CdSe nanocrystals as nanoscale additives”
- H. Qi, T. Hegmann, Liq. Cryst. Today 2011, 20, 102-114. “Liquid crystal-gold nanoparticle composites”
- V. Yathindranath, L. Rebbough, D. F. Moore, D. W. Miller, J. van Lierop, T. Hegmann, Adv. Funct. Mater. 2011, 21, 1457-1464. “A versatile, one-step, low-temperature, reductive synthesis to bare, hydrophilic or hydrophobic magnetite nanoparticles” – Frontispiece Article
- B. Kinkead, M. Urbanski, H. Qi, H.-S. Kitzerow, T. Hegmann, Proc. SPIE 2010, 7775, 777511. “Alignment and electro-optic effects in nanoparticle-doped nematic liquid crystals”
- M. Urbanski, B. Kinkead, T. Hegmann, H.-S. Kitzerow, Liq. Cryst. 2010, 37, 1151-1156. “Director field of birefringent stripes in liquid crystal/nanoparticle dispersions” – Front Cover Article
- M. Urbanski, B. Kinkead, H. Qi, T. Hegmann, H.-S. Kitzerow, Nanoscale 2010, 2, 1118- 1121. “Electroconvection in nematic liquid crystals via nanoparticle doping” – Inside Front Cover Article
- B. Kinkead, T. Hegmann, J. Mater. Chem. 2010, 20, 448-458. “Effects of size, capping agent, and concentration of CdSe and CdTe quantum dots doped into a nematic liquid crystal on the optical and electro-optic properties of the final colloidal liquid crystal mixture” – Back Cover
- V. Yathindranath, K. Potter, C. B. Fowler, T. Hegmann, J. van Lierop, D. F. Moore, Nanotechnology 2009, 20, 405101. “Simultaneous magnetically-directed drug convection and MR imaging” – Article of Particular Interest by the Editor & Highlighted in IOP’s www.nanotechweb.org/cws/article/lab/40670
- H. Qi, T. Hegmann, ACS Appl. Mater. Interfaces 2009, 1, 1731-1738. “Multiple alignment modes for nematic liquid crystals doped with alkylthiol-capped gold nanoparticles”
- H. Qi, B. Kinkead, V. M. Marx, H. R. Zhang, T. Hegmann, ChemPhysChem 2009, 10, 1211-1218. “Miscibility and alignment effects of mixed monolayer cyanobiphenyl liquid crystal-capped gold nanoparticles in nematic cyanobiphenyl liquid crystal hosts”
- T. Hegmann, H. Qi, B. Kinkead, V. M. Marx, H. Girgis, P. A. Heiney, Can. Metall. Quarterly 2009, 48, 1-9. “Functionalized metal and semiconductor nanoparticle doped liquid crystals - Modifying optical and electro-optical properties”
- H. Qi, T. Hegmann, J. Am. Chem. Soc. 2008, 130, 14201-14206. “Post-synthesis racemization and place exchange reactions – one step further to understand the origin of chiral ligand-capped gold nanoparticle chirality”
- H. Qi, T. Hegmann, J. Mater. Chem. 2008, 18, 3288-3294. “Impact of nanoscale particles and carbon nanotubes on current and future generations of liquid crystal displays” – Invited Highlight & Inside Cover Article
- V. M. Marx, H. Girgis, P. A. Heiney, T. Hegmann, J. Mater. Chem. 2008, 18, 2983-2994. “Bent- core LC decorated gold nanoclusters: Synthesis, self-assembly, and effects in mixtures with bent-core LC hosts”
- H. Qi, B. Kinkead, T. Hegmann, Proc. SPIE 2008, 6911, 691106 (11 pages). “Effects of functionalized metal and semiconductor nanoparticles in nematic liquid crystals”
- H. Qi, B. Kinkead, T. Hegmann, Adv. Funct. Mater. 2008, 18, 212-221. “Unprecedented dual alignment mode and Freedericksz transition in planar nematic liquid crystal cells doped with gold nanoclusters” – Inside Cover Article
- H. Qi, J. O’Neil, T. Hegmann, J. Mater. Chem. 2008, 18, 374-380. “Chirality transfer in nematic liquid crystals doped with (S)-Naproxen functionalized gold nanoclusters: An induced circular dichroism study”
- M. P. Thompson, T. Hegmann, M. D. Wand, R. P. Lemieux, Liq. Cryst. 2007, 34, 987-994. “Ferroelectric liquid crystal dopants with a chiral (R,R)-2,3-difluorooctyloxy side chain: Host dependence of the polarization power”
- H. Qi, A. Lepp, P. A. Heiney, T. Hegmann, J. Mater. Chem. 2007, 17, 2139-2144. “Effects of hydrophilic and hydrophobic gold nanoclusters on the stability and ordering of bolaamphiphilic liquid crystals”
- T. Hegmann, H. Qi, V. Marx, J. Inorg. Organomet. Polym. & Mater. 2007, 17, 483-508. “Nanoparticles and liquid crystals: synthesis, self-assembly, defect formation and potential applications”
- K. Kaznatcheev, T. Hegmann, Phys. Chem. Chem. Phys. 2007, 9, 1705-1712. “Molecular ordering in a biaxial smectic-A phase studied by scanning transmission x-ray microscopy (STXM)” – Hot Paper & Cover Article
- H. Qi, T. Hegmann, J. Mater. Chem. 2006, 16, 4197-4205. “Formation of periodic stripe patterns in nematic liquid crystals doped with functionalized gold nanoparticles” – Cover Article
- C. Damm, G. Israel, T. Hegmann, C. Tschierske, J. Mater. Chem. 2006, 16, 1808-1816. “Luminescence and photoconductivity in mononuclear ortho-platinated metallomesogens”
- N. Sertova, M. Toulemonde, T. Hegmann, J. Inorg. Organomet. Polym. & Mater. 2006, 16, 91-96. “Towards recyclable nanoporous polymer membranes for the synthesis of one-dimensional nanoscale gold colloids”
- T. Hegmann, B. Neumann, R. Wolf, C. Tschierske, J. Mater. Chem. 2005, 15, 1025-1034. “Liquid crystalline paracyclophanes and ansa compounds – Series of polyether macrocycles incorporating diacetylene, phenyl, biphenyl, p-terphenyl and 2,5-diphenyl-1,3,4-thiadiazole rigid cores”
- T. Hegmann, M. R. Meadows, M. D. Wand, R. P. Lemieux, J. Mater. Chem. 2004, 14, 185-190. “Ferroelectric liquid crystal induced by atropisomeric biphenyl dopants: Influence of the SmC host mixture composition”
- T. Hegmann, J. Kain, S. Diele, B. Schubert, H. Bögel, C. Tschierske, J. Mater. Chem. 2003, 13, 991- 1003. “Molecular design at the calamitic/discotic cross-over point. Mononuclear ortho-metallated mesogens based on the combination of rod-like phenylpyrimidines and -pyridines with bent or half-disc-shaped diketonates”
- B. Neumann, T. Hegmann, C. Wagner, P. R. Ashton, R. Wolf, C. Tschierske, J. Mater.Chem. 2003, 13, 778-784. “Liquid crystalline macrocycles containing phenylpyrimidine units”
- T. Hegmann, R. P. Lemieux, J. Mater. Chem. 2002, 12, 3368-3370. “Large electroclinic effect in SmA* liquid crystals induced by an atropisomeric biphenyl dopant”
- T. Hegmann, J. Kain, S. Diele, G. Pelzl, C. Tschierske, Angew. Chem., Int. Ed. 2001, 40, 887-890. “Evidence for the existence of the McMillan phase in a binary system of a metallomesogen and 2,4,7- trinitrofluorenone”
- M. T. Allen, S. Diele, K. D. M. Harris, T. Hegmann, B. M. Kariuki, D. Lose, J. A. Preece, C. Tschierske, J. Mater. Chem. 2001, 11, 302-311. “Intermolecular organization of triphenylene-based discotic mesogens by interdigitation of alkyl chains”
- T. Hegmann, B. Neumann, S. Diele, C. Tschierske, J. Mater. Chem. 2000, 10, 2244-2248. “Butterfly-mesogens: Paracyclophane based macrocyclic metallomesogens forming smectic and columnar liquid crystalline phases”
- T. Hegmann, F. Peidis, S. Diele, C. Tschierske, Liq. Cryst. 2000, 27, 1261-1265. “Combination of molecular rods and half-discs: Transition from lamellar to columnar order in multichain mononuclear ortho-palladated metallomesogens”
- M. T. Allen, K. D. M. Harris, B. M. Kariuki, N. Kumari, J. A. Preece, S. Diele, D. Lose, T. Hegmann, C. Tschierske, Liq. Cryst. 2000, 27, 689-692. “Intermolecular organization of triphenylene-based discotic mesogens by interdigitation of alkyl chains”
- A. Pegenau, T. Hegmann, C. Tschierske, S. Diele, Chem.-Eur. J. 1999, 5, 1643-1660. “The importance of micro-segregation for mesophase formation: Thermotropic columnar mesophases of tetrahedral and other low-aspect-ratio organic materials”
- B. Neumann, T. Hegmann, R. Wolf, C. Tschierske, Chem. Commun. 1998, 105-106. “Binuclear cyclopalladated cyclophanes: Towards a new family of metallomesogens”
- B. Kinkead, T. Hegmann, 2012, US 8,323,755 "Planar nematic liquid crystal cells doped with gold nanoparticles and methods of inducing a Freedericksz transition".
- V. Yathindranath, D. F. Moore, J. van Lierop, T. Hegmann, 2013, US 8,383,085 "Methods of making iron containing nanoparticles".
- V. Yathindranath, T. Hegmann, J. van Lierop, D. F. Moore, 2008, US PCT 61/055,683 "Magnetically directed drug convection".
- H. Qi, T. Hegmann, 2011, US 8,071,181. "Metal nanoparticles and use thereof for inducing chirality in liquid crystal phases" (International: 12/086,720).
- H. Qi, T. Hegmann, 2012, US 8,294,838. "Planar nematic liquid crystal cells doped with gold nanoparticles and methods of inducing a Freedericksz transition".
- V. M. Marx, T. Hegmann, 2012, US 8,092,712. "Bent-core LC decorated gold nanoparticles".
- Liquid Crystals
- Drug Delivery