Integrated Science Training for Northeast Ohio's Future Biomedical and Biotechnology Workforce
Scholarships for Students Majoring in Biotechnology, Biological Sciences, Biochemistry and Physics
Application deadline for this scholarship for Academic Year 2014-2015 is May 15, 2014
The scholarships are student-centered awards from the State of Ohio, funded by the Choose Ohio First Scholarship Program: Integrated Science Training for Northeast Ohio's Future Biomedical and Biotechnology Workforce. The scholarships offered through this Kent State University COFS Program are for students to use to attend Kent State University in order to pursue degrees in biotechnology and the biomedical sciences. To be eligible, students must major in Biotechnology, Biological Sciences, Biochemistry or Physics. The scholarship is targeted to those Ohio residents who are preparing for careers in the STEM fields other than clinical. Scholarships are renewable for up to three additional years; renewal is subject to continued eligibility, satisfactory progress towards degree and participation in Choose Ohio First Scholar activities. Scholarship amounts are up to $2350 per semester.
Choose Ohio First scholarship recipients must be Ohio residents. This scholarship may be awarded to Kent State University students registering for at least 12 credit hours per semester on the Kent Campus. Incoming freshmen, transfer students, and continuing KSU students may apply. Incoming freshmen must be admitted to KSU and have a high-school GPA exceeding 3.0; transfer or current KSU students with at least 32 credit hours must have a post-secondary GPA exceeding 3.0. Eligible students must have a declared major in Biology, Biotechnology, Chemistry Physics or Zoology. Recipients must have a current Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA): www.fafsa.gov. All Choose Ohio First Scholarship awards are contingent upon funding provided by the Ohio Board of Regents to Kent State University.
Selections for the scholarships will be made to eligible students based upon: academic credentials, statement of goals and letters of reference (see below). Applications must be completed by the deadline noted above for full consideration.
- Completed online application
- Arranged for two letters of reference sent to the address below
- Arranged for high school and post-secondary transcripts (if applicable) to be sent to the address below
- FAFSA current
Please send application materials and direct questions to:
Dr. James Gleeson
Chairperson, Department of Physics
105 Smith Hall
P.O. Box 5190
Kent, OH 44242
Information Needed to Fill in Online Application:
Completing the application requires the following information:
- Name, Permanent Address, KSU E-mail, Banner ID number
- Class Status & Intended/Current Kent State University Degree Program
- Statement of Goals (1 page) with your career plans, your interest in the sciences, educational history, and how the COFS award will help you reach your goals.
- Name, address, phone number and e-mail for two persons sending a letter of recommendation on your behalf.
- High school or post-secondary transcripts.