Office of Continuing and Distance Education
120 North Lincoln Street
Kent State University
PO Box 5190
Kent, OH 44242-0001
Proctored Testing Information for Faculty
The ProctorU remote test proctoring service allows students with a webcam and a broadband internet connection to complete their exams while on camera with a live person. The service is free to students (as long as the student schedules at least three business days in advance; otherwise, ProctorU will assess the student between $5 and $10 for the privilege of taking the exam with less notice) and there is no charge back to the faculty member, department, college, or campus - the fee for the exam is handled by the Office of Continuing and Distance Education at the Kent Campus. Some additional information about ProctorU:
- The ProctorU service is available for only online courses, those coded in Banner as V1, V2, or V3 (100% online, 100% online with set meeting times, and at least 50% online, respectively); courses that are coded any other way in Banner are not eligible for the service. The $10 per credit hour fee that students pay for the V1, V2, or V3 supports the use of ProctorU and other technologies and services in support of online courses.
- Faculty members are encouraged to use the service for only their high-stakes testing events such as midterms and finals. Weekly quizzes and the like are not appropriate for ProctorU due to the cost to the University.
- Exams will need to be located within a learning management system such as Blackboard Learn or something similar. Paper-based exams are not supported. Exams that use the Blackboard Learn Lockdown Browser are also not supported since the Lockdown browser interferes with the software used by ProctorU to monitor the student.
- Students have their identity validated for each exam and any suspect behavior is reported back to the faculty member.
- Faculty are encouraged to submit the Assessment Directive Form (ADF) spreadsheet at the very beginning of the semester so that the basic exam information can be loaded into the ProctorU system as soon as possible. Exams do not have to be created at the beginning of the semester, just the overall details (dates, length, password, and special instructions) are provided to ProctorU. The ADF needs to be emailed to email@example.com and to firstname.lastname@example.org; the latter email address is to the Office of Continuing and Distance Education which manages the relationship between the University and ProctorU.
- Students will visit www.proctoru.com/kent to schedule and take their exam with the ProctorU service.
- Faculty with questions about the ProctorU service are welcome to contact email@example.com at any time.
Physical testing facilities, such as those on a Kent State University campus or with a third party, are an option for faculty members as well; however, these facilities have limited capacity and options for students. Faculty are encouraged to host their own on-campus testing sessions or use the ProctorU service. Details regarding the physical testing facilities can be found at http://www.kent.edu/dl/studentservices/proctoredtesting.cfm.