Role of School Counselor
Role of the School Counselor
Before applying to any Dual Enrollment program, parents and students should meet with their high school counselor to learn about the program.
School counselors are asked to complete a portion of the application and provide an official copy of the student's transcripts.
The school counselor plays a critical role in students and parents understanding of the programs and how the school district’s policies relate to the following:
- Full-time equivalency with high school and college enrollment
- Repayment policies in the event of withdrawal or failure
- How Kent State University grades are accepted on the high school transcript (weighted or not weighted)
- Scheduling for other high school classes
- Remaining graduation requirements and if college courses will fulfill those requirements
It is important that the above items are addressed and understood prior to enrolling in a dual enrollment program.