Before applying to any Dual Enrollment program, parents and students should meet with the high school counselor to discuss benefits and risks of participation.
The school counselor plays a critical role in students' and parents' understanding of the programs and how the school district’s policies relate to the following:
- Full-time equivalency with high school and college enrollment
- Repayment policies in the event of withdrawal or failure
- How Kent State University grades are accepted on the high school transcript (weighted or not weighted)
- Scheduling for other high school classes
- Remaining graduation requirements and if college courses will fulfill those requirements
It is important that the above items are addressed and understood prior to enrolling in dual enrollment coursework.