Mission and Goal
The Exercise Science Major has two Concentrations.
The overall purpose of the major is to promote the development of a healthy physically active lifestyle and prepare it's graduates for teaching, exercise science and fitness professions. Students will acquire knowledge of human movement, requisite skills and competencies in their area of specialization.
One concentration is the Exercise Specialist concentration. The Exercise Specialist concentration is dedicated to serving its students by integrating clinical application with academic excellence while preparing students for careers in Cardiac Rehabilitation, Wellness, or Strength and Conditioning.
The other concentration, the Exercise Physiologist Concentration is dedicated to integrating academic excellence with a strong science curriculum and a capstone experience for the student that serves as an allied health degree (i.e., pre physical therapy, pre medical, pre-occupational therapy). An individual if qualified can transition to subsequent graduate study if desired.
- To implement and maintain a CAAHEP accredited Exercise Science education program that fulfills the mission and goals of Kent State University
- The curriculum will be presented in an organized, sequential, and cumulative manner such that students will learn, develop, and refine their knowledge and clinical skills, such that the:
- The capstone experience for the Exercise Specialist is the American College of Sports Medicine, Health Fitness Specialist Examination (HFS)
- The Goal is to "highly recommend" all of our graduates take this exam and 70% of our graduates pass this examination upon graduation.
- To facilitate a positive and productive educational learning environment in both the academic and clinical settings which integrates classroom knowledge and skill acquisition.
- Design, and maintain classroom, study spaces suitable for teaching, learning, research, and other activities relevant to the mission of Kent State University.
- Design, develop, and maintain computing facilities and services that support instruction, research, productivity, community-building, and other activities relevant to the mission of Kent State University.
Comments: Provide photos or videos (testimonials)