How do I declare a major in hospitality management?
If you are already enrolled at Kent State University and are changing your major OR if you are a transfer student from another university, please make an appointment with the Hospitality Management advisor in the VACCA office is in 304 White Hall. Please ask the receptionist for a Change of Program form.
How do I set up an appointment to see an academic advisor to review the requirements in the hospitality major and discuss career opportunities?
1. The Hospitality Management Program is housed in White Hall. Please stop by 316 White Hall or call 330-672-2012.
2. To make an appointment with the Hospitality Management advisor in the VACCA office, please go to https://advising.ehhs.kent.edu/index.php?gid=1.
3. Freshmen and sophomore Hospitality Management majors are required to meet with the Hospitality Management advior in the VACCA office once a semester. Otherwise, a hold will be placed on the student's account and the student will not be able to register for classes for the following semester. Juniors and seniors are strongly encouraged to meet with the Hospitality Management advisor once a year.
How large will classes be in my major? Will I be known as only a 'student number' by my professors?
Major classes in the Hospitality Management major range from 15 to 50 students. A top priority for Hospitality Management faculty is to be available for consultation and develop professional relationships with each of their majors.
What types of jobs do Hospitality Management majors secure after graduation?
1. Data on our graduates over the past 10 years indicates that about 50% are managing food service operations, primarily restaurants.
2. The remaining 50% secure positions other than 'food service'. These positions include:
- Event and meeting planners
- Hotel and resort managers
- Sales and marketing representatives for hospitality businesses
- Club managers including general managers
- Convention managers
- Amusement park managers
I know completing an internship or practicum will significantly increase my professional success after graduation. Are internships available if I choose to enroll in the program?
1. At Kent State, we enjoy close ties with industry and assist students in seeking a wide range of excellent practicums for students during their senior year. These professional training experiences are faculty supervised, and are planned to develop students' management skills in the industry.
2. In addition, many of these students retained full-time management positions after graduation with these businesses.
What are the starting salaries for graduates of the Hospitality Management program?
Recent graduates in management positions are receiving starting salaries of $28,000 to $33,000. Graduates who have progressed in their careers are reporting salaries of $50,000 to excess of $100,000.
What student organizations may I become involved with as a Hospitality Management major?
1. The Kent State University Student Chapter of the Club Managers Association of America (CMAA) meets weekly throughout the school year. Members also are invited to attend meetings of the Greater Cleveland Chapter of CMAA.
2. The Kent State University chapter of Professional Convention Management Association (PCMA) is open to all Kent State University students interested in pursuing a career in the growing meetings and events industry. Students participate in various fundraising events; go on tours of hotels, conference and convention centers; listen to industry leaders; and attend the annual convention that provides networking and career opportunities.
3. Campus Kitchens Project (CKP) is a national organization that provides healthy meals to those in need by harnessing the spirit of student volunteerism within local communities. CKP operates on over 30 university and high school campuses.