How do I declare a major in hospitality management?
1. If you are already enrolled at Kent State University, our College office is in 304 White Hall. Please ask the receptionist for a Change of Program form.
2. If you are a transfer student from another university, the following must be submitted to the Admissions Office at Kent State University:
3. If you are a freshman, please submit:
How do I set up an appointment to see an academic advisor to review the requirements in the hospitality major and discuss career opportunities?
1. The Hospitality Management Program is housed in White Hall. Please stop by 316 White Hall or call 330-672-2012.
2. You can also stop by the Vacca Office of Student Services to meet with an academic advisor. Please visit http://www.kent.edu/ehhs/services/voss/index.cfm to learn how to make an appointment with an academic advisor and to learn about other services offered by the Vacca office.
3. We encourage you to schedule appointments with both professional advisors in Vacca and hospitality management faculty advisors on a regular basis.
How large will classes be in my major? Will I be known as only a 'student number' by my professors?
Major classes in the Hospitality Management major range from 25 to 50 students. A top priority for Hospitality Management faculty is to be available for consultation and develop professional relationships with each of their majors.
What types of jobs do Hospitality Management majors secure after graduation?
1. Data on our graduates over the past 10 years indicates that about 50% are managing food service operations, primarily restaurants.
2. The remaining 50% secure positions other than 'food service'. These positions include:
I know completing an internship or practicum will significantly increase my professional success after graduation. Are internships available if I choose to enroll in the program?
1. At Kent State, we enjoy close ties with industry and assist students in seeking a wide range of excellent practicums for students during their senior year. These professional training experiences are faculty supervised, and are planned to develop students' management skills in the industry. Recent (1998-2000) data indicates that the majority of our students were in practicums that involved management positions in the hospitality industry.
2. In addition, many of these students retained full-time management positions after graduation with these businesses.
What are the starting salaries for graduates of the Hospitality Management program?
Recent graduates in management positions are receiving starting salaries of $28,000 to $33,000. Graduates who have progressed in their careers are reporting salaries of $50,000 to excess of $100,000.
What student organizations may I become involved with as a Hospitality Management major?
1. The Kent State University Student Chapter of the Club Managers Association of America (CMAA) meets weekly throughout the school year. Members also are invited to attend meetings of the Greater Cleveland Chapter of CMAA.
2. The Kent State University chapter of Professional Convention Management Association (PCMA) is open to all Kent State University students interested in pursuing a career in the growing meetings and events industry. Students participate in various fundraising events; go on tours of hotels, conference and convention centers; listen to industry leaders; and attend the annual convention that provides networking and career opportunities.
3. The Ice Carving Club meets based on student interest. Students at all skill levels are invited to participate in this group. In 2001, two club members won 5th place in the National Collegiate Ice Carving Championship.