- Academic Departments
- Academic Success Center
- Academic Learning Center, Columbiana Campus
- Academic Advising - Undergraduate
- Academic STARS
- Academic Testing Services
- Academic Transfer
- Accreditation, Assessment and Learning (formerly Academic Quality Improvement Project or AQIP)
- Accounting, Department of
- Accounts Payable
- Accessibility Services
- Administrative Offices
- Adult Students
- Advanced Placement Program
- Aerospace Studies/Air Force Reserve Officer Training Corp
- Affirmative Action Office
- Air Force ROTC
- Alma Mater
- Alumni Relations
- Animal Research
- Annual Kent State Symposium on Democracy
- Apps, Kent State
- Anthropology, Department of
- Architecture and Environmental Design, College of
- Architect's Office
- Army ROTC
- Art, School of
- Art Education
- Arts and Sciences, College of
- Arts, College of the
- Ashtabula Campus
We offer a bachelor's degree in Exercise Science with the option to choose from three different areas of concentration:
- Exercise Physiology (PDF)
- Exercise Specialist (PDF)
- Pre-Physical/Occupational Therapy/Podiatric Medicine (PDF)
GOALS OF THE UNDERGRADUATE PROGRAM
- To implement and maintain a CAAHEP accredited and NSCA ERP Exercise Science education program that fulfills the mission and goals of Kent State University.
- To encourage students to take the capstone experience and take an accredited exam (ACSM EP-C, NSCA CSCS).
- Design and maintain classroom and study spaces suitable for teaching, learning, research and other activities relevant to the mission of Kent State University.
OBJECTIVES OF THE UNDERGRADUATE PROGRAM
- The curriculum will be presented in an organized, sequential and cumulative manner such that students will develop and refine their knowledge and clinical skills as demonstrated through the American College of Sports Medicine’s KSA’s (Knowledge, Skills and Abilities) set forth in the Guidelines.
- Students will learn about the physiology of human movement.
- Students will be expected to take an accredited exam (ACSM EP-C, NSCA CSCS).
- Students will learn about the anatomy and physiology of exercise.
- Students will learn about the pathophysiology of chronic diseases and risk factors.
Many students choose an Exercise Physiology concentration to prepare them for graduate school in that area or in other health care professions (i.e. Occupational Therapy, Podiatry or Medical School).
We offer a Master's of Science Degree in Exercise Physiology and a PhD in Health Sciences with a concentration in Exercise Physiology.
Exercise Physiology that provides graduates with a variety of career options, including exercise prescription and research. Degree applicants are expected to have substantial preparation in the sciences, usually including coursework in biology chemistry, physics, mathematics, anatomy, kinesiology, and exercise physiology.
Representative faculty research includes the areas of body composition, metabolism/nutritional requirements, environment, clinical exercise physiology, and the psychophysiology of aging as it is influenced by physical activity and fitness.