Five courses, completion of a phonics requirement and an acceptable score on the Ohio Department of Education-Educator Preparation "Teaching Reading 0204" Specialty Area Test are required for the Reading Endorsement in the state of Ohio.
- C&I 6/77310 Theory & Practice in Teaching Reading (3 HRS)
- C&I 6/77319 Diagnosis & Remediation of Reading Difficulties (3 HRS)
- C&I 6/77330 Reading in the Content Areas (3 HRS)
- C&I 6/77323 Clinical Practicum in Corrective Reading (4 HRS)
- C&I 6/77396 Individual Investigation in Reading (1 HR Online)
- MCED 50005 Effective Use of Phonics in Reading Intersession
(If previously completed coursework includes a phonics course or its equivalent, a 3 credit hour waiver will be approved for MCED 50005)
Candidates seeking Ohio licensure must score above the State minimum on the Ohio Assessment for Educators content assessment area: Teaching Reading 0204. Please refer to the Ohio Department of Education-Educator Preparation website for more information on assessments specific to licensure type.
AKRON READING ENDORSEMENT
Kent State University works in partnership with school districts to facilitate off-campus professional development programming for educators in the field. Off-campus cohorts offer reduced graduate tuition for courses instructed at a convenient location within the district. Generally, two courses are offered per term, allowing the Reading Endorsement to be completed in approximately one year.
CONTACT INFORMATIONAcademic Program Contact: Dr. Denise Morgan, firstname.lastname@example.org, 330-672-0663
Graduate Admission Contact: Nancy Miller, email@example.com, 330-672-0557