Applying for a New License or Renewal Licensure Application

Beginning January 2014 – all first-time and renewal licensure applications must be completed online.

You may now apply for your license in just a few minutes online if the person who approves licenses at your district or university is signed up as an electronic signer.

  • Authorized Representatives – (superintendents, local professional development chairs and university deans or their designees) will find instructions on how to complete the e-signer registration process here.
  • Licensure Applicants – Access or create your SAFE account to get started on the easy online application process through My Educator Profile. Once you have a SAFE account you will be able to access My Educator Profile from the ODE CORE link on your SAFE account menu. If you like, you may click here for informational videos and the My Educator Profile User Guide for more information.

Alternative Resident Educator (formerly called Industry Option Licensure-Route B)

The Alternative Resident Educator is available to those who are successfully approved with the CTE-36 and CTE-37 evaluation completed by the local school district(s). Typically, the Alternative Resident Educator Licensure program begins with a four week course offered during the Summer III session. In the event a new teacher misses the summer program, contact the Career & Technical Teacher Education Department for advising at 330-672-2656.

CTE-36 and CTE-37 applicants are skilled in areas such as drafting, electronics, automotive repair, cosmetology, and various other areas. Many of these skilled workers leave the industry in which they are employed to pursue a position as a Career Technical Teacher in their trade area. Information and CTE 36 and 37 forms are available on the Ohio Department of Education website.

See Section 5 for Initial Licenses and Section 6 for Renewal Licenses in the Guide for Licensing Candidates for Career-Technical and Adult Education in Ohio.

Depending on the educational background of the prospective teacher, the coursework requirements will vary between 11-24 semester credit hours. Before signing up for the coursework, it is necessary to meet with a representative of the Career & Technical Teacher Education Department to further discuss the Industry Option Licensure (Route B) program, admissions process, and other requirements.


  • 24.0 Credit Hour Undergraduate Program

Requirement Sheet for CTTE teachers without a baccalaureate degree



  • 24.0 Credit Hour Graduate Program

Requirement sheet for CTTE teachers with a baccalaureate degree outside Education


Teachers with Bachelor's Degree in Education AND Current Ohio Teaching License/Certificate

  • For those with a current Ohio Teaching License/Certificate; Adding a Career Technical Teaching Area
  • 12.0 Credit Hour Graduate Program

Requirement Sheet information for teachers with Bachelor's Degree in Education and a current Ohio Teaching License/Certificate

Career Based Intervention Endorsement Program

  • CBIP
  • Formerly OWE/OWA

CBIP Endorsement Requirement Sheet

Worksite Coordinator

Kent State University no longer offers the DCT or DCHO licensure/endorsement programs.
You may contact the Ohio Department of Education for a list of universities that may offer these programs.