Master's Degree in Reading | Kent State University

Master's Degree in Reading

The M.Ed. in K-12 Reading/Literacy Specialization program develops practical and professional knowledge that is essential for educators concerned with the improvement of literacy at all instructional levels.

With this program, students study:

  • The nature of the reading process
  • The interrelationships between language, literature and literacy
  • Literacy learning and teaching
  • The nature and needs of students who find reading difficult
  • Reading as a vehicle for learning and enjoyment
  • The role of research in reading

The Reading Specialization Program prepares educators to:

  • Teach students in classroom learning contexts, including reading in the content areas (grades K through adult). Example: A third grade teacher or a high school content area teacher wants to become more knowledgeable and skilled in the teaching of literacy.
  • Teach students who have difficulties with reading (grades K through adult). Example: A teacher spends the majority of time working with students, usually in small groups or individually, who have difficulties in reading.

Plan of Study (PDF)  Schedule of Course Offerings (PDF)  Vacca Fellowship for Teachers of Literacy 

Admission to Reading Specialization Program

Complete the Graduate School of Education application for admission to the Reading Specialization Program or the Request for Change of Degree or Major (if already admitted to another program within this College).

Application should be completed two months before the beginning of coursework. More information is available on the EHHS Graduate Student Services page.

Students already possessing a Master's degree may wish to specialize in literacy education either through the Ph.D. program or, in some cases, through a non-degree reading course sequence.

These students may request information materials and advisement from the Reading and Writing Center, 402 White Hall at 330-672-2836 or

Questions regarding admission to our program?