Legal Brief: Welcome to the Office of the General CounselPosted Aug. 30, 2010
The Office of University Counsel has changed its name, but the role of the department remains the same. As of Sept. 1 the department will be known as the Office of the General Counsel. The title for the head of the office, Willis Walker, has also been changed to General Counsel. The office location and contact information remain the same.
The Office of the General Counsel serves as more than just the legal representative of the university in the courtroom. The Office of the General Counsel is also available to provide legal advice and guidance on university-related matters to employees and departments at all eight campuses.
Reporting directly to the president, the general counsel is responsible for the day-to-day operations of the office and ensuring that the university remains in legal compliance with numerous state and federal laws and regulations. The attorneys and special assistants in the office provide many services, including the following:
- Assist departments with the administration and negotiation of third-party contracts;
- Provide notary services for university documents;
- Coordinate all public records requests for the Kent and Regional Campuses;
- Assist in the development of university policy, as well as department-specific regulations;
- Provide advice on patent, copyright and technology-transfer information;
- Assist international employees with the permanent residency process; and
- Provide training in regulatory compliance and guidance when new laws go into effect.
The office is located on the second floor of the Library in the Executive Offices. More information and legal resources are available at the department website. You can also call 330-672-2982 or send legal inquiries to firstname.lastname@example.org.
"Legal Briefs" appears in e-Insidemonthly from August to May to keep faculty and staff informed of legal issues and their implications. An archive of past Legal Briefs is available online.