Ph.D. University of Iowa, 1998.
Kevin Floyd teaches courses in literary and cultural theory, Marxism, gender studies, queer studies, and twentieth-century U.S. literature and culture. He is the author of The Reification of Desire: Toward a Queer Marxism (Minnesota 2009), and of articles that have appeared in such journals as Social Text, Science and Society, Cultural Critique, and Rethinking Marxism. He is a recent recipient of Fulbright and Alexander von Humboldt grants.
Scholarly, Creative & Professional Activities
- The Reification of Desire: Toward a Queer Marxism. University of Minnesota Press, 2009.
- “Unthinking the Future: Death, Utopia, and Childhood in Edelman and Adorno,” Cultural Logic, forthcoming.
- “Lukacs and Sexual Humanism.” Rethinking Marxism 18.3 (2006): 399-405.
- "Rethinking Reification: Marcuse, Psychoanalysis, and Gay Liberation." Social Text 66 (2001): 103-28.
- "Closing the (Heterosexual) Frontier: Midnight Cowboy as National Allegory." Science and Society 65.1 (2001): 99-130.
- "Making History: Marxism, Queer Theory, and Contradiction in the Future of American Studies." Cultural Critique 40 (1998): 167-201.
- Samuel Delany
- Foucauldian Biopolitics
- Convergences and divergences between Marxism and queer studies, especially with reference to questions of temporality, totality, utopia
Modern Language Association
American Studies Association
Cultural Studies Association
Marxist Literary Group
OFFICEDepartment of English
CONTACT INFOPhone: 330-672-1753
COURSES TEACHINGSpring 2014
- ENG 33003 - 001 U . S . Lit 1945 To Present
- ENG 38001 - 002 Critical Theory And Reading
- HONR 40099 - 005 Senior Honors Thesis / Project
- ENG 67104 - 001 Social / Cultural Theo / Crit
- ENG 77104 - 001 Social / Cultural Theo / Crit