Ph.D. University of Iowa, 1998.
Kevin Floyd teaches courses in literary and cultural theory, Marxism, gender studies, queer studies, and twentieth-century U.S. literature and culture. He is the author of The Reification of Desire: Toward a Queer Marxism (Minnesota 2009), and of articles that have appeared in such journals as Social Text, Science and Society, Cultural Critique, and Rethinking Marxism. He is a recent recipient of Fulbright and Alexander von Humboldt grants.
Scholarly, Creative & Professional Activities
- The Reification of Desire: Toward a Queer Marxism. University of Minnesota Press, 2009.
- “Unthinking the Future: Death, Utopia, and Childhood in Edelman and Adorno,” Cultural Logic, forthcoming.
- “Lukacs and Sexual Humanism.” Rethinking Marxism 18.3 (2006): 399-405.
- "Rethinking Reification: Marcuse, Psychoanalysis, and Gay Liberation." Social Text 66 (2001): 103-28.
- "Closing the (Heterosexual) Frontier: Midnight Cowboy as National Allegory." Science and Society 65.1 (2001): 99-130.
- "Making History: Marxism, Queer Theory, and Contradiction in the Future of American Studies." Cultural Critique 40 (1998): 167-201.
- Samuel Delany
- Foucauldian Biopolitics
- Convergences and divergences between Marxism and queer studies, especially with reference to questions of temporality, totality, utopia
Modern Language Association
American Studies Association
Cultural Studies Association
Marxist Literary Group