Ph.D., University of Massachusetts, 1969
Scholarly, Creative & Professional Activities
- "United States Literature," Section. ed. Encyclopedia Judaica. 22 vols.Macmillan (US) and Keter (Israel). December, 2006.
- Gli Ebrei e la Grande Emigrazione, (trans. G. Massara et al). Nuova Editrice Universitaria. Rome, Italy 2006.
- "Henry Hurwitz, The Menorah Journal, and the Last Years of an American Romance.” The Massachusetts Review Spring-Summer, 2003.
- "La Prima Narratyive Di Walt Whitman" (trans. P. Massara) Come Coccole di Cedro, ed. Tattoni. Universita degli Studi di Roma La Sapienza. 2002.
- "A Canticle for Leibowitz; A Song for Benjamin." Extrapolation Winter, 2001.
- "Creating Hebraism, Confronting Hellenism: The Menorah Journal and its Struggle for the Jewish Imagination." American Jewish Archives Vol.LII (2001).
- “The Break-Up of Our Camp: Towards Community, Towards Paradise”. Studies in American Jewish Literature. 2001.
- “The Menorah Journal: Yavneh in America, 1945-1950.” American Jewish Archives, vols.1 &2, 1998 (published in 2000).
- "How They Lived: Helen Yglesias' Novels of an American Faith," Studies in American Jewish Literature,1998.
- "Interview with Synnove Persen," Ethnic Forum, vol. 15. 1995.
- "The Assistant: Towards the Sanctifying Community," in Suffering in Literature, ed. Grabher et al. Universitat Innsbruck. 1994
- "American‑Jewish Writing: Then and Now," Ethnic Forum. vols.13/14, 1993‑1994. Published as one volume.
- "The Image of the Black in American‑Jewish Fiction: The Other Tradition," Shofar, Winter, 1994.
- "Living the Riddle: The Sacred and Profane in Anne Roiphe’s Lovingkindness," Studies in American Jewish Literature, Fall, 1992
- Makers of the City. Amherst: U Massachusetts P, 1990.
- Handbook of American-Jewish Literature. Editor-in-chief. Westport CT: Greenwood, 1988.
- Jacob A. Riis: A Reference Guide. With J. Fierst. Boston: Hall, 1977.
- American Literary Naturalism: A Reassessment. Ed. with Y. Hakutani. Heidelberg: Carl Winter Üniversitätsverlag, 1975.
- American Realism
- American Social Novel
- Jewish American Fiction
OFFICEDepartment of English
COURSES TEACHINGFall 2013
- ENG 22072 - 002 Great Books Ii
- ENG 89299 - 019 Dissertation Ii
- ENG 35201 - 001 The Bible As Literature
- ENG 89299 - 017 Dissertation Ii
- ENG 89299 - 022 Dissertation Ii