Associate Dean, College of Arts & Sciences
Ph.D., University of California, Davis, 1989
Raymond Craig's "professing" includes work in the development of curricula, teaching in both literature and rhetoric and composition programs, and managing graduate programs. Craig is committed to the transformation of students through learning, through engagement in the discipline and the world, and through critical thought. His major publications have been in textual studies, most recently The Concordance to the Major Poems of Edward Taylor (Mellen 2008), and he is working on a new edition of Anne Bradstreet's Poems and Prose, while participating in the Charles Brockden Brown Archive. Other interests include early American poetics and the critical discourse analysis of American war narratives in the 18th century. In the study of writing, Craig examines technology and writing issues in academic and non-academic settings.
Scholarly, Creative & Professional Activities
- A Concordance to the Major Poems of Edward Taylor. Four volumes. Lewiston, NY: Mellen, 2008.
- A Concordance to the Complete Works of Anne Bradstreet. Two volumes. Lewiston, NY: Mellen, 2000.
- "The 'Peculiar Elegance' of Edward Taylor's Poetic." In The Tayloring Shop: Essays on the Poetry of Edward Taylor . . . , edited by Michael Schuldiner. Newark: U of Delaware P, 1997. 68-101. Reprinted in Gale’s Poetry Criticism (ed. Lawrence J. Trudeau. Vol. 63. Detroit: Thomson Gale, 2005. 201-356), in the Gale’s digital Literature Criticism Online, and in Poetry Criticism, Trudeau & Schoenberg, eds. Vol. 163. Gale, 2009.
- "Polishing God's Altar: Puritan Poetics in John Cotton's Singing of Psalmes." Studies in Puritan American Spirituality V (1996): 1-33.
- "On Problems and Potentials of a Networked Graduate Class." Daedalus Wings, Spring 1995, 7-8. (S. Witte)
- A Concordance to Edward Taylor's Minor Poetry. Two volumes. Lewiston, NY: Mellen, 1992.
- A Gathering of Poets. Kent, OH: Kent State UP, 1992. (Maggie Anderson & Alex Gildzen.)
- "Singing with Grace: Allusive Strategies in Anne Bradstreet's 'New Psalms.'" Studies in Puritan American Spirituality 1 (1990): 148-169.
- Early American Literature & Culture
- Systems of Writing & Representation
- Rhetorical Theory
AffiliationsSociety of Early Americanists: Advisory Board; Moderator, EARAM-L
American Literature Association
American Studies Association
Modern Language Association
Midwest Modern Language Association
National Council for Teachers of English
Northeast Modern Language Association
Professional and Organizational Development Network in Higher Education (POD)