Calendar of Events
Whether you're an international or domestic student, faculty or staff, community member or just passing through, you'll find something of interest to you on the calendar below. Check our calendar often for announcements of everything from concerts to workshops and festivals to sightseeing trips, all with the power to broaden your understanding and appreciation of the world.
Also here is a quick list of upcoming trips and outings, events and happenings sponsored or supported by the Office of Global Education and our campus friends.
New and current students – stay connected by checking our Calendar page this summer for postings of new events coming this fall!
- August 17, 18 and 19: Airport Pick-Ups. Kent State is offering bus rides to the Kent campus to international students who arrive at Cleveland-Hopkins International and Akron-Canton Airports on each of the three days listed. Busses will be leaving the airports at 10:00 am, 3:00 pm and 9:00 pm. Students must register in advance. Cost is $20 per person (which is much less than a cab ride or rental car from both locations).
- August 20 to 27: International Orientation Week. Welcome to our new incoming international students!
- Sunday, August 20: Welcome Picnic. 3:00 to 6:00 pm. Van Campen Lawn. The Office of Global Education welcomes all new international students to the Kent State campus with a traditional American picnic. Plan on attending - you won't want to miss the all the fun, events, activities and plenty of free picnic food and beverages. Meet new friends and acclimated yourself to campus. Watch for a change in venue if the weather turns to rain.
- Sunday, August 20: Anand Mela Celebration. 1:00 to 4:30 pm. Parma Library, 2111 Snow Road, Parma, OH 44134. The local chapter of FICA (Federation of Indian Community Associations) is hosting a celebration of the joyful Indian festival of Anand Mela, which honors India's Independence Day. The family-friendly event is free and open to the public. More Information.
- Monday, August 21: New International Student Orientation. 8:30 am until Noon. Kent Student Center Ballroom. Join us as the staff of the Office of Global Education and our special guests introduce you to your new life and home on the Kent State campus. You'll be provided with a wealth of useful, need-to-know knowledge and information. Breakfast and lunch provided. Please bring your passport or student ID with you. Mandatory for all unconditionally admitted students, all J-1 exchange students, and all conditionally admitted for transcripts graduate students. Registration.
- Tuesday, August 22: International Student Resource Fair. 1:00 pm to 4:00 pm. 2nd Floor Mezzanine, Kent Student Center. Learn about the numerous resources which Kent State makes available to its students. Discover offices, organizations and groups that can help you, meet their staff and get your questions answered. Mandatory for all new international students (inlcuding ESL students).
- Tuesday, August 22: Graduate Student Orientation (GSO). For all new students. Additional information and registration
- Wednesday, August 23: Graduate Student Orientation (GSO). Specific for all new teaching assistants and graduate students interested in college teaching - attendance at the Tuesday event is still required. Additional information and registration.
- Wednesday, August 23: Destination Kent State (DKS). 9:00 am to 3:00 pm. Governance Chambers, Kent Student Center. Mandatory for all international undergraduate freshmen.
- Friday, August 25. Bowling Night. 6:00 pm to 8:00 pm. Twinstar Lanes Bowling Center, City of Kent. Join the Office of Global Education for a night of bowling as we welcome you to Kent State. Transporation to and from nearby Twinstar Lanes will be provided. More information at Monday's International Student Orientation.
- Thursday, August 24, to Sunday, August 27: Welcome Weekend. Dozens of events and activities are planned to celebrate the start of the new academic year including BlastOff, Convocation and Discover Downtown Kent. Complete schedule of Welcome Weekend events.
- Monday, September 4: Labor Day. The Offices of Global Education and Kent State University will be closed in honor and celebration of this national holiday.
- Saturday, September 9: Third Annual Run the World 5K. 8:30 am. Risman Plaza. Join us we run the world to raise money for study abroad student scholarships. Register before July 31 at the reduced entry fee of $30. For additional information -- including the Spring 2018 Run the World 5K on the Stark Campus -- and to register, visit the Run the World Race Series webpage.
- Thursday, September 14: Education Abroad Expo. Kent Student Center, 2nd Floor Mezzanine. 11:00 am to 2:00 pm. Our annual Expo is your one-stop-shop for everything you'll need to get your study abroad adventure underway. Learn about all of the study abroad programs which Kent State has to offer, as well as available financial resources and travel arrangements. More Information.
- Thursday, September 14: International Student Reception. Main Library, 4th Floor. 6:00 to 8:00 pm. You won't want to all the food, fun and new friends as the University Library welcomes all international students to campus during a special reception. Registration required!