International Graduate Application Guide
Graduate admission requirements and deadlines differ from program to program, so you will need to follow the expectations of the specific department, school or college you wish to apply to. Please check the website www.kent.edu/gps for the latest updates.
Graduate Application Process
1. Submit an online application and application fee of $70
2. Prepare application documents
- Passport Biographical Page
- English Language Proficiency score
- College transcript/detailed marksheets (Certified English translation and original language)
- College Graduation Certificate/Diploma if already issued (Certified English translation and original language)
- GRE/GMAT or other standardized tests if required (submit official test report through test center)
- Graduate assistantship application (if applicable)
Assistantship application found here: http://www2.kent.edu/graduatestudies/prospectivestudents/financial-aid.cfm
Graduate assistantship applicants may need to meet earlier deadlines. Please check with department for deadlines.
- Additional documents if required *review requirements from individual department or school
- Financial guarantee (bank statements) that show sufficient funds to cover educational expenses.*
- Kent State University Financial Information Worksheet*
*Financial documents are only required after acceptance.
3. Submission of all required documents to the Office of Global Education
- Include the student's full name and Kent State ID when sending documents.
- For faster processing, all the documents should be scanned as one multi-page PDF (the size of the PDF file should be within 5MB) and sent to the International Admissions Office through email@example.com
- If you attended a U.S. institution, we must have official transcripts for admissions purposes. We cannot accept copies.
- Mailing application materials is also acceptable for international applicants to this address:
Office of Global Education
Kent State University
106 Van Campen Hall
625 Loop Rd
Kent OH 44242 USA
4. Check Status
Please remember that it is your responsibility to check your application status to ensure that we have received all documents. You should allow three weeks for the status of your application to be updated, and please note that items sent to Kent State become the property of the university and will not be returned. The graduate timeline may differ greatly from undergraduates.
5. Provide final and official documents after arrival
For admissions purposes, we accept scanned documents of academic credentials. When an applicant is admitted, his/her final and official transcripts and diploma should be brought to the International Admissions Office for verification. This should be done within the first semester (or the first module for ESL students). Otherwise, the student's account will be put on HOLD.
Graduate Student Information
Graduate Application Process
We are happy to consider your application for graduate admission. After we receive your completed application and required documents, the process begins with an evaluation of your academic credentials and English proficiency. Your application then moves to the academic department or school in which you applied for a final review. The faculty in that academic unit will make an admission decision, and you will be notified in writing. After you are admitted, an advisor in the International Student and Scholar Services office will issue your immigration documents and express mail them to you.
Graduate Student Assistantships
Kent State University offers both graduate assistantships and teaching fellowships. To be considered for one of these competitive awards, you will need to include an application for a graduate appointment with your application materials. If selected, then you will receive a tuition waiver and a monthly stipend in return for up to 20 hours of work per week. A teaching or research fellowship offers a full tuition waiver and monthly stipend and allows students to focus exclusively on teaching or research rather than departmental duties.
The Graduate Student Orientation program introduces master’s and doctoral students to campus resources and select faculty, staff and administrators. Attendance during the Graduate Student Orientation program is required of all graduate students with teaching assistantships and highly recommended for all other graduate students.
Attention Applicants from China
There is a website available, www.alpps.org, which allows you to create a student profile in order to differentiate yourself and provides our university with more information. We do not endorse or require applicants to use this system, but it can provide us with additional information to evaluate you along with your official application. Your student profile can be created and submitted at any time of the year for review.
If you are interested in one of our graduate level certificate programs, please contact the department directly for more information.