International Graduate Non-degree Programs
All international graduate applicants must complete the application process for the following programs. Graduate admission requirements and deadlines differ from program to program, so you will need to follow the expectations of the specific international graduate program you wish to apply to. In addition to the information below, you can find more information on the Office of Global Education’s International Graduate Application Guide.
This option is for applicants who wish to take a limited number of graduate courses for self-improvement, intellectual curiosity or expansion of areas of professional expertise, without earning a graduate degree.
- No more than 12 semester hours of non-degree credit may be petitioned to satisfy requirements for a degree program. (Note: only 6 semester credit hours can be transferred into some graduate programs).
- Non-degree students may not transfer credit earned at another university.
- Students who are pursuing graduate certificate programs should apply as a non-degree student, unless they are already in a degree program.
Anyone who has been denied admission to graduate studies, or is under dismissal from the university, is not eligible for non-degree student status.
A guest student is typically one who wants to take a limited number of courses at Kent State and who has no current interest in pursuing a degree. To be admitted in this category, a student must have earned a baccalaureate degree from a regionally accredited institution. Guest students typically take courses for job enhancement or personal enrichment.
- A maximum of 6 semester hours of Kent State University credit may be attempted in this admission status.
- Guest students who wish to pursue a degree program or continue after 6 semester hours have been attempted must apply for regular admission.
- Guest students must meet all prerequisites for courses (or obtain permission of
the instructor) and must obtain approval from the corresponding program coordinator.
- Guest students are not eligible for financial aid.
Anyone who has been denied admission to graduate studies, or is under dismissal from the university, is not eligible for guest student status.
An international student who wishes to enroll at Kent State University for one or two semesters on a non-degree basis. If you are planning seek a degree at Kent State you must complete an undergraduate or graduate application.