Transfer Out Guide (F-1)
To transfer a SEVIS record from Kent State to a new school, an F-1 student must notify an international student advisor in International Student and Scholar Services (ISSS) of the intent to transfer by completing a transfer form, paying any outstanding balances due to Kent State, demonstrating admission to a new institution, and indicating a Transfer Release Date. See 8 CFR § 214.2 (f)(8).
A student who is maintaining status may transfer to another SEVIS-approved school if both of the following conditions are met:
1. You are in valid F-1 student status at Kent State. If you are out-of-status, you must apply for reinstatement or depart the U.S. and re-enter on a new initial I-20 issued by your new school.
2. You are currently enrolled at Kent State or are in your 60-day grace period following completion of your program. If you are a new student, you have reported to ISSS.
NOTE: You can stay in the United States when transferring as long as you begin classes at the new institution in the next available term or within five months of the last day of classes at Kent State, whichever comes first.
III. TO APPLY
1. Verify that you have paid all of your balances at Kent State. Bursar’s Office: (330) 672-2626.
2. Discuss your intent to transfer with your international student advisor at Kent State. You will need to choose the date that you wish your SEVIS record to be transferred to your new school. Inform your advisor of any plans to leave the United States, as this will impact your transfer release date.
4. ISSS will notify you by email when your SEVIS record has been scheduled to transfer to your new school.
NOTE: On your Transfer Release Date, Kent State will no longer have access to your SEVIS record. If you wish to cancel your transfer request, you must do so prior to your Transfer Release Date. Please note we do not have a form for your current school to complete.