The Honors College is open to new freshmen who have demonstrated superior academic performance prior to attending a college or university. We require new freshmen to meet minimum grade point average (GPA) and standardized test score requirements as follows:
- 3.60 minimum cumulative high school GPA
- 27 ACT Composite (24 minimum English score) or
1210 SAT Critical Reading & Math (510 minimum Critical Reading score)
Please note: The Honors College will obtain your test scores and transcript from the Office of Admissions. There is no need to send a duplicate copy to the Honors College. The Honors College will not accept test scores received later than January 15. It is the responsibility of an applicant to ensure all application materials have been received by the Office of Admissions by January 15.
- Complete the Kent State University undergraduate admissions application. The application is available on August 1 and must be completed no later than January 15.
- Look for an invitation to apply to the Honors College within 1-2 weeks of your admission to Kent State University. Instructions for submitting your supplemental Honors College application will be provided.
- Complete the online application for Honors College admission.
- Receive notification of our admissions decision by regular mail.
Honors College Application
The Honors College application is supplemental to the Kent State University application and is one of the most important components in determining a student's "fit" for the Honors College. The application requires an essay and a student self-assessment, which provide an opportunity for students to express why the believe the Honors College will be a good opportunity for their undergraduate experience. We ask students to submit an essay of approximately 500 words.
The Honors College will continue to accept applications from students who have been invited to apply through March 1. However, you are encouraged to apply by our priority deadline of December 1 in order to receive priority scholarship consideration.
Prospective freshmen who are admitted to the Honors College will receive automatic consideration for an Honors College scholarship.