Computer Hardware and Software Recommendations
It is always good to do comparison shopping. Below are some general recommendations from Information Services.
Please note: Some majors may have specific requirements. Always check with your academic department before purchasing a new computer. View the Technology Viewbook for more information.
New Hardware Recommendations
- Laptop: Minimum 2 GHz processor, 2 GB of RAM and built-in wireless
- Desktop: Large, flat panel display and at least 4 GB of RAM with built-in wireless
- Mobile Devices: iOS, Android or Windows Phone
- Game Consoles: Must have wireless capability for getting online
- Printers: Wireless printing is not supported; buy a USB cable (from any retailer or The Tech Spot)
- Consider purchasing an extended 3-year hardware warranty
- Dell: Buy directly from Dell online.
- Apple: Buy directly from Apple's Education Store.
- University Bookstore
New Software Recommendations
- Windows 7
- Mac OS X 10.7 or higher
- All versions of Linux (with limited support)
- 802.11g compatible, dual-band wireless card
- Must be located in wireless zone on campus (all residence halls except Allerton Apartments)
Wired Connections (Allerton Only)
- Network Interface Card (Included in most computers)
- Ethernet Cable (RJ-45) (Not a phone cord; slightly larger): For sale at The Tech Spot
Wireless Routers/Switches and Hubs (Not permitted)
- Please view the instructions on using on these devices
- Connection Instructions
- Game Consoles
- Computer Hardware and Software Recommendations
- ResNet User Policy
- Operating System Security Updates
- Virus/Spyware Protection
- Protecting Your Computer
- Illegal Downloading and DMCA