Information for Users
A Data Steward is a university official assigned direct operational responsibility by an executive officer over one or more types of institutional data. Data Stewards review requests for access to data under their authority and assign access rights.
View the List of Departmental Data Stewards to determine the Data Steward for your area. (NOTE: Authentication required.)
Banner Security Configuration Control Forms
The following forms are used by Data Stewards to create/modify Banner classes and security groups:
The University's central administrative systems include the Banner ERP, Banner Workflow and Imaging and the COGNOS Reporting system. For access to these systems, please contact your departmental security administrator.
View the List of Departmental Security Administrators to determine the Security Administrator for your department.
Security Administrator Tools
Guest Account Creation
This process should be invoked whenever a Kent State University Guest Account is required for a visiting guest.
Information For Security Administrators
Prior to gaining access to any of the University's administrative systems, a user must have read and signed a Data Confidentiality Agreement.
A user must have a FlashLine user name before access can be granted to the Banner system. If the user does not have or does not know his or her FlashLine user name, contact the Client Services Helpdesk at 330-672-HELP (4357) or 2-HELP (on-campus) for assistance.
Procedures for gaining access to Banner vary by the major functional areas (HR, Finance, etc..) of the ERP.
Access to Banner INB Production Mode
To request access to Banner Production, please use the Banner Security Workflow. Please note: This workflow is only for production access to Banner INB.
Access to Banner INB Test Mode
Access to Banner test instances should continue to utilize the standard forms below. Use these forms to find more information related to the system to which you are requesting access:
- Advancement - Complete a Request for Banner ADV Access form (see included instructions). Inquiries shall be directed to Kathleen Abel, data steward for University Relations and Institutional Advancement, at 330-672-3049.
- Finance - Complete a Request for Banner Finance Access form (see included instructions). Inquiries shall be directed to Tammy Slusser, University Comptroller, at 330-672-8328.
- HR and Payroll - Complete a Request for Banner HR Access form (see included instructions). Inquiries shall be directed to Tia Laughlin HRIS, Records, and Support Services, at 330-672-3047.
- Student - Complete a Request for Banner Student Access form (see included instructions). Inquiries regarding access shall be directed to Barbara Boltz, Project Director for Shared Services EMSA, at 330-672-1306.
- Student Financial Aid - Access is requested using the Request for Banner Student Access form. Inquiries regarding access shall be directed to Steven Minnich, Student Financial Aid System.
Access to COGNOS
Access to the COGNOS report server is handled through the following COGNOS Access forms:
- Request for COGNOS Official Folder Access form used for consumer access to COGNOS Official folders and reports.
- Request for COGNOS Internal Folder Access form used to gain report authoring capability, as well as access to restricted internal administrative folders and reports.
Inquiries regarding access shall be directed to Cognos Support, at email@example.com
Banner Relationship Management (BRM)
Complete a Request for Access to BRM form to gain access to BRM (Banner Relationship Management) to manage your campaigns or view results. Inquiries regarding access shall be directed to Barb Boltz, Project director, Enrollment Data and Systems Support, EMSA at 330-672-1306.
Assigned Advisor Access
Complete a Request for Assigned Advisor Access form to grant access to the Assigned Advisor system. This form grants access only to the Advisor assignment application in Self-Service Banner (SSB). This access allows you to modify the rules within the automated Advisor system in SSB.
If you need access to advisor maintenance (to add, delete, and maintain Advisor assignments in Internet Native Banner (INB), you must complete the Request for Banner Student access form and select ST_GSTU_02_MAINTAIN_ADVISOS under Registrar. Inquiries regarding access shall be directed to Charity Snyder, 330-672-5333.
GPS System Access
Complete a Request for Access to GPS System form to gain access to GPS Audits and Plans. Joanna Liedel, Director, Degree Planning (GPS) 330-672-0550.
Complete a Request for Banner Document Imaging form to gain document imaging access to the imaging applications in the Banner environment.
Third Party Email Request
If a third party requires access to the content of another users' account, and the owner is either temporarily unavailable or is terminating employment from the university, a Request for Third party E-mail Access and/or Migration of Email to Gmail may be made.
Note: The option to migrate email to Gmail is only available to students, alumni and retiring employees
Direct Access to Administrative Databases
To obtain direct access to administrative databases, submit the Open Database Connectivity Security Agreement.
To upload or download administrative systems input or output files from the WebFTP server, an FTP Request form must be submitted.
Access to the FAMIS system is handled through the following FAMIS access forms:
Maintenance - Complete a Request for Famis Maintenance Access form (see included instructions). Inquiries shall be directed to Cindy Gary, FAMIS Systems Specialist, at 330-672-2886.
Space - Complete a Request for Famis Space Access form (see included instructions). Inquiries shall be directed to Cheryl Smith, Architecture Database Coordinator, at 330-672-8021.
Remote Access to Banner
To access Banner, Cognos and other Administrative systems from an off-campus location, submit the form Remote Access to Administrative Systems.
This page is maintained by the Office of Security and Access Management