To attract and retain the strongest journalism and mass communication students in the nation, JMC established the Promising Scholar Awards, a financial award program. The program is specifically designed for first-time freshmen entering our School in the fall semester. The Promising Scholar Awards will provide incoming students with a $1,000, $2,000 or $3,000 scholarship per year, renewable for up to four years, to the highest achieving incoming freshmen drawn from JMC’s undergraduate degree programs: advertising, digital media production, journalism and public relations.
To be eligible for JMC’s Promising Scholar Award, a student must apply by the established deadline and meet the following criteria:
- Be a first-time freshman. In addition to high school seniors, nontraditional students, especially U.S. military veterans, are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Have a minimum 3.7 cumulative high school grade point average and a minimum 26 ACT or 1200 SAT score.
- A résumé emphasizing journalism and leadership experiences in high school and/or the community.
- Must complete an incoming freshman application.
- An official high school transcript.
- A resume emphasizing leadership experiences
- A 500-1,000-word essay describing why they are choosing an education in journalism and mass communication.
- Three to five original work samples.
- One or two letters of recommendation.
With the Promising Scholar Award and other Kent State financial assistance programs, JMC has become one of the most affordable schools in the nation. It is also one of the strongest. The Promising Scholar Awards are being funded through the generosity of private donors -- including alumni, media and communication industry leaders, and members of JMC’s Professional Advisory Board -- and by matching gifts from the university’s College of Communication and Information.
Please note: Applications are currently CLOSED for 2017-2018. The application for 2018-2019 freshman applicants will go live during the fall of 2017.
For more information on the JMC Promising Scholar Awards, contact Christina Russ (email@example.com) at (330) 672-2571. For information on other forms of financial assistance, contact Kent State’s Student Financial Aid Office (firstname.lastname@example.org).