Professor and Director
- 2008 – Present: Professor and Director, Center for Materials Informatics, College of Arts & Sciences, Kent State University
- 2005 – Present: Professor, Materials Informatics Lab, College of Arts & Sciences, Kent State University
- 2001 – 2005: Associate Professor, College of Arts & Sciences, Kent State University
- 1998 – 2001: Associate Professor, Libraries & Media Services, Kent State University
- 1996 – 2002: Senior Research Investigator, Center for Advanced Liquid Crystalline Optical Materials
J.R. Campbell completed a Bachelor of Science in Environmental Design in 1994 and a Master of Fine Arts in Textile Arts and Costume Design from the University of California in 1996. He then taught, textiles, computer-aided fashion design and color theory in San Francisco before being appointed assistant professor in the Department of Textiles and Clothing at Iowa State University in 1998. He was tenured and promoted to Associate Professor there in 2004.