Choral Ensembles Auditions
KSU Choral Ensembles are open to students of any major.
Auditions are held Monday thru Wednesday The first week of the Fall semester. Spring auditions can be made by appointment.
Interested in joining and want more information? You're cordially invited to:
KSU Choral Reception
The Sunday before the start of Fall classes from 3 to 4 p.m.
Student Center Ballroom, Room 306ABC
All students interested in joining a KSU Choir should plan to attend! Learn more about each ensemble, meet faculty, directors and sign up for your audition. Light refreshments will also be served.
Anyone interested in joining a choir needs to audition for placement. Auditions for Chorale, Men’s Chorus and Women’s Chorus take place Monday thru Wednesday the first week of classes. The link to sign-up for your time-slot will be posted soon.
Placement auditions for Kent Chorus and Gospel Choir are held during the first rehearsal.
Bases on these auditions, students will be placed in the ensemble that best fits their abilities.
Here’s what you’ll do for the audition:
- Vocalizing to assess tone quality and range
- Aural skills exercises such as pitch matching and melodic memory
- Rhythm reading
- Sight reading
- No need to bring a prepared song!
Nova Jazz Singers auditions are held with Dr. Venesile. For more information, please visit their page here.
- Don’t stop singing over the summer, keep using your voice!
- Do the vocal exercises you’ve done with previous choirs.
- Practice pitch matching. Play three notes and match each.
- Play a four note melody and sing it back.
- Practice sight-reading and rhythm skills.
- A little bit of practice will go a long way!
- WARM UP! It is important that your voice is warmed up before you audition.
- Plan to arrive at least 10 minutes early to fill out an audition form.
- If you need to change your audition, please remove your reserved time on the online form and then set a new time.
- Placement audition results will be emailed to you by Wednesday at 5 p.m.
Leave room in your schedule for the choir of your choice. You can register after the audition results are announced.